German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay really stupid question....How in the world so i use a clicker????
I think my dogs will really benefit from it, but i don't understand how to use it correctly. Please help the dummy.

Andrea

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't think it is dumb at all. I have no idea to use one and I just ordered one. I train with treats but thought I ought to know how to use a clicker too.

So here is another dummy.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe we should start a club, I just looked it up and boy am i more confused now then i ever was.:)

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
http://www.clickertraining.com/whatis

An article on clicker training by Karen Pryor, a definite expert.

Basically, clicker training is a means to mark a desired behavior with a sharp, quick, unique, accurate, consistent noise. It's been shown that the clicker activates a different part of the brain than verbal praise and so may be more effective in encouraging behaviors. The clicker is first "loaded" by feeding the animal a treat each time the clicker is clicked so the animal learns that CLICK = treat, good job. The loading is complete when the clicker can be clicked and the animal perks up, understanding that a goodie is forthcoming.

Say you want to train a dog to sit. Get your food reward and hold it over the dog's head while it's standing and move the treat toward its rear. The dog will naturally move its head with the food lure and move its butt down. The INSTANT its butt hits the ground, you click, then treat. Do this a few times to ensure consistency, then attach a verbal command. Soon, the lure can be phased out and voila, your dog has been trained to sit via the clicker.

Please note that timing is EVERYTHING! A mere moment too soon or too late and you'll be rewarding an entirely different behavior.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
to make it REALLY simple,,,you CLICK and treat,,,ask for a behavior CLICK/TREAT,,,OR,,if your like me, and sometimes do what we call, free shaping,,,the dog does "something" you want without asking, CLICK/TREAT..

Clicker and Treats should be in the same hand,,:))

It does take a little getting used to, but don't give up,,it's a wonderful tool and you'll be surprised how fast your dogs catch on..

OH,,to get your dog "started" I always do, what I call ,,"boot them up" (for dogs that have never been exposed to clicker)

Have your dog in front of you,,,and just "click/treat, click treat, click treat" ask for "nothing",,,it gets the to associate the CLICK with a Treat...

I'm sure others will chime in with more in depth advice
Diane

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
get a trainer.

Originally Posted By: amd1Okay really stupid question....How in the world so i use a clicker????
I think my dogs will really benefit from it, but i don't understand how to use it correctly. Please help the dummy.

Andrea

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
A trainer will help, but clicker training is something fun you can learn quite well on your own if you are honest about your timing.

Here is a fun way to work it: grab a friend or family member and tell them that when you click, it means they have done something good. Have a behavior in mind like hopping on the right leg or patting the top of their head. Then tell them to just "do." Now YOUR job is to determine what behaviors to click to shape the end result.
If you want them to hop on their right leg, click anytime they raise their left leg. Once that's consistent, phase out the clicking until the person offers you more behaviors, then click accordingly. Remember, NO TALKING!!!! Just the clicker.
This exercise gives you great insight on your timing, teaches you a lot about how to shape random behaviors into your desired goal, and allows you to practice without confusing your dog (just make sure he's out of sight/hearing of the clicker).

DF and I did this exercise so I could teach him about clicker training and also the importance of timing. Since I'm pretty good with shaping and have good timing, I was able to click him into doing my goal behavior relatively quickly. But DF's turn at the clicker was another story; his timing caused me to offer up a bazillion behaviors to no avail. Finally, he told me what he wanted me to do and I was not far off, but the training issue was with timing. He then realized just how crucial good timing and proper rewarding is when it comes to training a dog and he understood why so many dogs get confused at the hands of trainers who don't have good timing nor consistent feedback. This sounds like a nutty exercise but it's a real eye-opener into the world that our dogs live in.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Diana, thats great advise. I think it would really help to understand clicker training. Since I have never got that one down I think I will experiment with this on my family and see if I can get the timing down.

Wish it would work on teenagers.
Ahh well thats too much to hope for i guess, off to practice.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadget a trainer.
We have no trainers for 5 hours drive from here and the one there does not do clicker training. It is not something I have seen anybody do up here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally Posted By: DianaMhttp://www.clickertraining.com/whatis

An article on clicker training by Karen Pryor, a definite expert.
Thanks for the information and link. Link isn't working today as they have a server error but I will check it when it is back up.

Again, thank you all for the info. Really appreciated. I will learn more and give it a try when the clicker arrives.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Understanding the clicker...

There are tons of info on youtube to really show and explain the clicker. If I remember, I'll try to post more links later.

Though even if it's an hour drive, there's nothing like a great set of classes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts