German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my best friend yesterday after 13 years. He had elbow dysplasia surgery at 11 months old and learned to live with it. His hips started going around the 10 year mark and last week they finally gave out. He was bed written and couldn't go to the bathroom on his own. When I placed him on his feet he would just collapse. He also developed a fever. I knew it was time.

I cried all the way to the vet. I ran the bell when I was ready after I told him goodbye. I held his head and felt his breathing dissipate when he was given the final injection. I closed his eyes and told him I love him forever.

Nothing can prepare you for when the day comes. Cherish every minute you have with them. I miss him so much.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
He’s got the sweetest face!! Be free buddy..

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm so sorry. :-( The same thing happened to my old girl. She couldn't get up anymore and it is so heart breaking! Hugs to you.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
He looks beautiful and I'm sure you gave him a wonderful life.
Heaven surely has room for our dogs and we'll all be together in perfect health again one day.

A new little one will help heal the hole in your heart when you're ready.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Completely understand!

Very well done getting him to thirteen. No easy feat.

He’s a chapter in the book of your life.

“A new little one will help heal the hole in your heart when you're ready.” No better advice than this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I lost my best friend yesterday after 13 years. He had elbow dysplasia surgery at 11 months old and learned to live with it. His hips started going around the 10 year mark and last week they finally gave out. He was bed written and couldn't go to the bathroom on his own. When I placed him on his feet he would just collapse. He also developed a fever. I knew it was time.

I cried all the way to the vet. I ran the bell when I was ready after I told him goodbye. I held his head and felt his breathing dissipate when he was given the final injection. I closed his eyes and told him I love him forever.

Nothing can prepare you for when the day comes. Cherish every minute you have with them. I miss him so much.

View attachment 564560
so very sorry for your loss. Went through the same thing in May. Can’t ever get over it but have to get through it. Rip baby❤

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
absolutely, cherish the memories. Take time to grieve

·
Registered
982 Posts
What a beautiful photo of two blessed souls; my condolences. I will share what my grandparents told me during my first experience of loss. "That pain you feel right now is just your heart expanding to love again." Car2ner is right. Give yourself to grieve and celebrate what you had, then go and find your next partner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the wonderful replies and warm thoughts. That picture was taken 10 days before I had to put him down. Thats how fast it can happen.

I remember when I first registered here I would read this forum and dreaded the day I had to post on here, but here I am.

We brought him home today. His ashes are in our living room and he gets to watch our favorite shows together again. We also got his paw prints in clay.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So sorry for your loss. That's such a nice picture, looks like it will always remind you of good times, he looks so happy. Rest in peace good boy, peace to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts