German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's been home for a little over a week now. We're still working on finding our rhythms and routines, but I've no doubt we'll get there. Potty training has been almost effortless (meaning, almost no messes in the house to cleanup....not to say there's not a ton of effort in making sure she gets outside every single time I think she might have to potty). She stays in her crate without complaint and sleeps through the night.

Everything...and I mean everything...that her mouth can touch will end up IN her mouth. LOL

She's super sweet when she's tired and sleepy...a rampaging crocodile and land shark all the rest of the time.

She gets hiccups.

She spent the first few days turning my kitchen into a swamp because every time she'd get a drink of water, she'd try to wash her feet and dance with the bowl. A couple of days of standing over her to pull her paws out of the water each time seems to have cured that particular bad habit. It was funny and cute, but I'm glad she's over it!

I'm going to sign her up (sign both of us up) for private lessons with a man that used to train Navy Seal dogs, among many other dog training accomplishments. He also runs a doggy day care that I think we'll be attending once-a-week and/or as needed. Mostly ~I~ need the lessons because sucking up You Tube videos does not turn one into a dog trainer. And I'm pretty sure Yazzy didn't watch the same videos I did, because nothing we do together ever seems to match what goes on in the vids. :p

So that's my update...and here's some pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mostly ~I~ need the lessons because sucking up You Tube videos does not turn one into a dog trainer.
What? It doesn't? That is very disillusioning!! Because, all the dogs on YouTube are so Perfect!! :laugh2:

Anyway Yazzy looks adorable, so adorable that of course one can forgive water all over the kitchen and chewed objects...

and wow, she will turn into an impressive dog when trained by the Navy Seal trainer!
She'll learn to leap out of airplanes wearing a harness, and stuff like that...:smile2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
She spent the first few days turning my kitchen into a swamp because every time she'd get a drink of water, she'd try to wash her feet and dance with the bowl. A couple of days of standing over her to pull her paws out of the water each time seems to have cured that particular bad habit. It was funny and cute, but I'm glad she's over it!
She is very cute!

Don't be surprised if the water play returns at some point in the future. It has with Cassie and at 8 months is still happens with her outside water. I still keep her indoor water inside a bucket (with the bucket inside the bathtub). I had too many floods to clean up, after a period of good behavior with water (and thinking we can put water play behind us). I'm looking forward to the day I can go back to using large stainless steel bowls in the house (outside of the bathtub). The bucket was outside the bathtub, until she started moving the bucket around and then tipping it over.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be surprised if the water play returns at some point in the future.
Awww man, you jinxed it! I had to pull her paws out of the water this evening. :rolleyes: :p

I remembered your bucket-in-the-bathtub story the first time she started dancing in the water. Unfortunately, I have no bathtub on the main living level of our home, just a half-bath. We'll just have to keep watching those paws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts