German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my dog yenko for 24 hours in the forest. this is the second time it happens he is afraid of hot air ballons when he see one he run away in the forest. The first time it wase for 4hr, this time wase for 24 hr. I wont even start explaining how that felt. He left around 3pm and we search all night. I finally found him at 11am the next day cold wet and realy tromatised.
So the bad, now he will not laydown he is deffently stress out and spent the hole night sitting down. the dog is deffently tired because he sleep sitting down. Is this normal? Or am i going to the vet?

Thanks for advice
Its benn a verry verry ruff 48 hr

Attachments

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Wow, that would be stressful for the both of you, glad you were able to find him. As for his behavior, if he seems ok physically, maybe give him a day and see if he returns to normal.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would go to the vet immediately. Any dog that is that stressed; cannot/will not lay down, falls asleep just sitting there, and you feel he's traumatized, needs to see a vet immediately. Any number of problems can crop up due to such extreme stress; not eating/drinking, stress colitis (bloody diarrhea), stomach problems like vomiting, ect. He could've also eaten/gotten into something that is not healthy for him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest dog had a bad experience with a hot air balloon and she was in her own yard. Not only did the gas release right above her, the people decided to talk to her from the balloon, that was how close they were. She was on a tie out chain and almost broke loose, it took me and my son to get her in the house safely. She went right to the front window and watched that balloon giving it the evil eye. She wouldn't go out in the yard for about 2 weeks, but that was all that she suffered. You might want to go to the vet and see if there is some way to calm yours down. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Oh, gosh, poor baby :(
We, too, had a bad hot air balloon encounter, also right above our house, complete with gas release, very loud and close. It was right over their heads, it even startled my husband, as it was about 6 am.
Hans freaked and wanted to go inside, but my husband kept him close, had him sit, praised him for sitting and looking at him, and then he got to go inside.
To a dog, it must seem like a canine-eating monster.

Is the dog not responding to you offering what he usually likes?
I would take the dog to the vet if he doesn't calm down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long has it been since you found him? Is he eating?
yesterday at 11am. He eat a little bit of dry food but then i mix half a can with dry food and he eat it all. just finish one a min ago.
Thanks for your help
p.s he lais down for like 5 to 10 min and then sits

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I would take him to the vet to get checked. It might be that in his frantic running through the woods he hurt himself and laying down is too painful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
About 16 months ago all of my dogs were playing in the woods when one of them bolted like he saw Satan himself. After 7 days and nights of searching, I received an email saying he was spotted on the train tracks.

I cannot tell you how my heart was broken. It took me 1 year just to look at his pictures.

My suggestion to you is to get Tagg. It is about 100 bucks and it attaches to your dogs collar and will track him within 10 feet. It even gives you alerts if he had penetrated your predetermined radius.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1367374602.213685.jpg

I miss you Baron. I am sorry I let you down my friend.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh jeez, poor boy. How stressful for you.

I'm sure he's tired but still running on adrenaline from the whole experience. He's probably having a hard time calming down.

I would take him to the vet for a good once over by the doc.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
DevotedDad, I'm sorry to hear about your boy. These things can happen so darn fast. Good suggestion on the Tagg.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think a leash with you holding it should be normal.

I lost my dog yenko for 24 hours in the forest. this is the second time it happens he is afraid of hot air ballons when he see one he run away in the forest. The first time it wase for 4hr, this time wase for 24 hr. I wont even start explaining how that felt. He left around 3pm and we search all night. I finally found him at 11am the next day cold wet and realy tromatised.

>>>> So the bad, now he will not laydown he is deffently stress out and spent the hole night sitting down. the dog is deffently tired because he sleep sitting down. Is this normal? <<<<

Or am i going to the vet?

Thanks for advice
Its benn a verry verry ruff 48 hr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK he is hurt breeds very fast laying down and breeds normal sitting down
so off to the vet tomorow
thanks to all

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would say just keep an eye on your dog over the next day or so if he doesn't get less stressed out take him to the vet to see if there is anything they can do to help and next time you take him with you in the forest maybe keep him on a 30ft leash just in case

As for this dog May he RIP I have tears in my eyes as we lie right beside the train tracks and I know exactly what tag your talking about as we actually have one for our daughter who has Aspergers and likes to wander :(

About 16 months ago all of my dogs were playing in the woods when one of them bolted like he saw Satan himself. After 7 days and nights of searching, I received an email saying he was spotted on the train tracks.

I cannot tell you how my heart was broken. It took me 1 year just to look at his pictures.

My suggestion to you is to get Tagg. It is about 100 bucks and it attaches to your dogs collar and will track him within 10 feet. It even gives you alerts if he had penetrated your predetermined radius.

View attachment 64210

I miss you Baron. I am sorry I let you down my friend.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
whent to the vet today for xray and the hole nine yard 600$ latter the vet says he is all good.
Thanks for all the help
Was there any physical reason for him to not want to lay down? Or did they think it was just stress related?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK not good
the vet called me yesterday the xrays were sent to a spetialist and the bad news is that YENKO hase broken ribs so no sh$t he wold not laidown

1 - 20 of 33 Posts