German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think Mia understands when I'm upset/sick. I had surgery on my throat on Friday and her behavior has completely changed around me since. She's usually a huge ball of energy and I was worried about her accidentally causing damage by being too rambunctious with me, but she's been the complete opposite. While she still plays normally with my other family members, she spends most of her time laying at my feet or curled up next to me being overall gentle and sweet. She has never been as cuddly as she has been these last 5 days, and she's definitely making recovery a bit more enjoyable. :wub:

Do you think your dog reacts differently when you are not feeling your best?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I heard that dogs don't like to see their pack leader in distress/week, makes them uncomfortable. =(

Hope you are feeling better!

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
First of all, I am sorry to hear you had to have that kind of surgery, and wish you a quick and complete recovery.
I can only speak from my experience. Over Christmas, I got horrifically sick and had 105 fever. I dozed for days, and was almost unable to walk. The morning I spiked a very high fever, I didn't know it, and went to get Hans from his expen to take him out. He sniffed me as always, and proceeded to give me such an alarmed look, that I wondered what the heck he sensed.
Later, I returned from an ER visit, and he sat by my bed in a down, refusing to budge no matter what was offered to him.
So, yeah, they know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, I am sorry to hear you had to have that kind of surgery, and wish you a quick and complete recovery.
I can only speak from my experience. Over Christmas, I got horrifically sick and had 105 fever. I dozed for days, and was almost unable to walk. The morning I spiked a very high fever, I didn't know it, and went to get Hans from his expen to take him out. He sniffed me as always, and proceeded to give me such an alarmed look, that I wondered what the heck he sensed.
Later, I returned from an ER visit, and he sat by my bed in a down, refusing to budge no matter what was offered to him.
So, yeah, they know.
Thank you both. :) So far recovery is going alright, but I'm only 5 days into a 2-3 week recovery period. It has not been fun.

And that is very sweet. Having a companion by your side definitely makes things a bit more bearable.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It's a GSD they are like glue! =) I LOVE it!

Keep us updated, wishing you fast recovery.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They know. After my back surgery, Finn was very Velcro-ish and very "soft" with me. Any time I am sick, he becomes a snuggle-bug.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am 100% sure that my GSD pup knows when people are not feeling well. She is far more cuddly when you are not feeling well. If my fiance sneezes she will literally jump in her lap and give her a hug and lick her like crazy. If something as small as stubbing your toe she is right next to you giving you doggy kisses. I had a time when I was on the Ipad playing a game and my charcter died in the game and the Ipad almost hit the floor with her jumping in my lap to make sure all is ok.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
They know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I've been sick with the flu, or out injured from work and laying in bed, Kanan will come to the side of the bed and look at me. All I have to say to him is "I not feeling good, bud" and he'll either lay on the floor next to me if I'm on the couch or hop into bed with me and stay there. As I start to feel better he'll try to initiate play to see if I'm 100% yet.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's now a week into my recovery (which is a lot slower and painful than I expected :( ) and she's been nothing but calm and gentle with me. She still gets her exercise and playtime with other family members, but spends much time laying with or near me. She's made an awful experience so much better. :wub:

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Of coarse she knows. And she sounds like an excellent nurse.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update since this is here. Got new painkillers yesterday and boy o boy, much better. Had my first taste of solid food today (after 8 days of nothing but jello and ice chips), and got out and went swimming with Mia! She seemed very excited to have her mommy back out playing with her.

·
Registered
874 Posts
here is my story. I got Roxy at 11 weeks old. It as about day 3 into her being home with us. I was still wondering what at age 50 was I thinking...the potty training and reading about all the diseases GSD's are prone too....right food/ wrong food etc...I was up at night and not because of Roxy but because of info overload. Making myself sick and tired. Then it was raining ..and raining and we have lived here for 2 years...NEVER any water in our lower level ( where my son and his pooch reside)...walked across the carpet to go to the laundry room and my feet were sloshing. OMG-- looked in the little cubby under the stairs and there was water...apparently all the rain we had non stop found a teeny tiny hole in the concrete to start seeping. This meant a trip for a floor fan, a wet vac and a carpet cleaner..and the time and effort to do it. Throwing up because now I've really got myself worked up. On the phone to my best friend screaming and saying every cuss word I can think of and even made up some new ones ( ask me about them later)....Roxy came over and put her paw on my hand.. ( I KID YOU NOT)....paw on my hand while I'm sitting on the floor having a spew . I told best friend I needed to take her out...we went out and she did both potties for me and just looked at me like... "here mom...you need this". If I was a crying person ..which I'm not ( nother long story)....I would have cried. She had a look in her face that she KNEW I was having a crap time and she was doing something to make my world better. I hugged her so hard I am surprised I didn't crack her ribs...and she hasn't had an accident in the house since. That my friends is LOVE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts