·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's Saturday morning and i open the front
door of the house and tell my dog "go to the car". he goes
and jumps in and lays down on the back seat. i gather
things for our outing. i come out and drive off. i instantly
remembered i forgot something i needed for the bank.
i turn around and come home.

i run into the house and grab my things for the bank.
when i come outside i see that i left the car door wide open.
at that moment i was glad i trained my dog to lay down
on the back seat and not leave the car without a command.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
LOL, didn't take much "training" for me. My girls LOVE rides. The training involved getting them to get OUT.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
leave the car without command? heck, I have a problem keeping the dogs from climbing in the car when I have the door open for other reasons. They figure as long as they are parked in the car, I can't leave without them. lol

·
Banned
411 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadit's Saturday morning and i open the front
door of the house and tell my dog "go to the car". he goes
and jumps in and lays down on the back seat. i gather
things for our outing. i come out and drive off. i instantly
remembered i forgot something i needed for the bank.
i turn around and come home.

i run into the house and grab my things for the bank.
when i come outside i see that i left the car door wide open.
at that moment i was glad i trained my dog to lay down
on the back seat and not leave the car without a command.
While this shows that your dog is well disciplined, it should also raise a yellow flag that you are human and forgetful like most of us. Be careful not to go someplace and get distracted and forget that you have the dog in the car so the dog doesn't suffer needlessly. Like dogs that are left out in the heat and die. Many dogs and children have died this way.

Seven-month-old Hayden Fish sat strapped in his car seat in the parking lot of Centennial High School while his father was inside grading papers. Now that the child has died
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=1310388

Eileen Rea, 20, went to the home of childhood friend Dalina Gutierrez, 21, who was charged with felony child abuse Monday. Gutierrez's infant daughter died after being left in a car.
Police say child was in vehicle for at least 5 hours
http://www.kidsandcars.org/arizona_baby_death_2003-07-01.html

Baby dies -- left in hot car all day by dad in Concord
http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-07-26/news/17253201_1_hot-car-car-seat-family-car

A 14-month-old boy died Friday morning, less than 24 hours after his mother left him in her vehicle at Cossatot Community College of the University of Arkansas in De Queen.
http://lynchlarge.blogspot.com/2006/06/baby-left-4-hours-in-car-dies.html

Grandmother charged in death of baby left in car
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/top-stories/story/1376499.html

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
LEAVE THE CAR!!never happen with Jake His car(and I only think it is MY car)He would sooner leave food(and he has) than be OUT of the car.I don't check whether he is in the car always assume it is true.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I used to have a bumper sticker that said "the keys are on the seat next to the German Shepherd"

DH always joked that wasn't true... Rayden would be hanging them out the window to whoever would take him for a ride

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Hate to think my dog loves me more than he loves the CAR.--Not sure it is true-darn he really loves the car thingThe ONE recall for him is to start up the car.He will BE there

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally Posted By: ttalldogHate to think my dog loves me more than he loves the CAR.--Not sure it is true-darn he really loves the car thingThe ONE recall for him is to start up the car.He will BE there

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally Posted By: DainerraI used to have a bumper sticker that said "the keys are on the seat next to the German Shepherd"

DH always joked that wasn't true... Rayden would be hanging them out the window to whoever would take him for a ride

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel RDog gone, you are VERY negative. We arent talking about babies btw
though it was only indirectly related to the original post, and perhaps a bit overly done as it relates to this thread, i dont think what Dog Gone posted can be stated enough. no, our dogs arent babies, but they do depend on us very much to keep them safe.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
you know, I was thinking about this. If the dogs are in the car at the house, they assume any attempt to get them out is a plot to sneak off and leave without them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dog Gone wasn't being negative at all. he was merely giving examples of what happens when we forget and
leave our children or dogs in a car.

i was stating i'm glad i trained my dog not to exit the car
without a command.

Originally Posted By: Angel RDog gone, you are VERY negative. We arent talking about babies btw

Doggiedad, glad everything worked out well!!!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Paige would have followed me to the front door. Years ago paige pushed out the screen and sat on our front porch for hours until we got home. the neighbors were afraid to come near her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30 years ago i had a Shep. my wife and i went to work
and not only did we forget and leave the dog in the but
we left the gate unlocked. i got hoome from work
before my wife. i saw the gate open and the dog on the front porch. my neighbor came across the street with our mail.
our neighbor told me that shortly after we left for work
the dog came out of the yard and laid down on he front porch.
my dog was trained to retrieve the mail so when the mail person
came to deliver my dog left the porch to meet the mail person
to get the mail. well it wasn't our regular mail person. my neighbor said when the dog approached him he ran. we had chickens at the time. my neighbor said everytime the chickens tried to leave the yard our dog herded them back to the back yard.
our Sheps are amazing.

Originally Posted By: SuzyEPaige would have followed me to the front door. Years ago paige pushed out the screen and sat on our front porch for hours until we got home. the neighbors were afraid to come near her.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
that is the number one thing I like about these dogs is that they are stuck to the cause-the cause of protecting the owner. Paige wouldn't leave the house unattended! She also patrols the airwaves and no birds are allowed in our space either.
I truly hope my husky/shep mix would stick around if the gate were open but I am not 100% sure like I am with The Rage.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i some what tested the dog i have now to see
what he would do if left outside alone. i pulled into the driveway.
i let my dog out and he walks down the driveway and crosses
over to my neighbors side. he goes to their yard. he was looking for their dog. while he was over there i snuck into the house.
i closed the front door. i could see my dog from the window.
after a minute or so he turns around and starts the were are you look. he goes back to our car and sniffs around. then he froze.
next he turned around and came over to our landing and laid down.
after he laid down i waited 5 minutes or so before i opened the door. i went outside and gave him a lot of praise. i hope he knows
why i praised him.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca's previous owner said she would never try to leave the yard if left out alone... My yard is fenced but a few times I have opened the gate and gone out into the gangway to get something and left it open and she always waited by the entrance for me.
However she did "escape" once... I was out of town and while I was away someone stole my bike out of the backyard (cut the bike lock) and left the gate open. A family member was home and they were taking care of Bianca for me while I was away, but they didn't notice the open gate or missing bike... They let Bianca outside to use the bathroom one morning (I'm assuming it was the morning after the bike was stolen) and a little while later they heard barking from the front of the house... They went to look and Bianca was sitting on the front porch! She left the yard only to go to the front porch and sit and wait to be let in.
Another time a family member let Bianca out in the yard and it started raining... When I realized she was not in her usual napping spot I discovered they had forgotten and left her out. I ran to the back door to let her in...and she wasn't there! I was getting worried but I thought maybe she was inside after all so I went back in and started to call her. No response. Finally I heard a noise behind the basement door... I opened it and there she was! The inside door to the basement is always shut and I don't let my pets go down there (Bianca had never been in the basement before.) The outside basement door leading to the yard had been unlocked because we were carrying things out that day, and Bianca apparently decided she was sick of the rain and pushed it open to get inside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts