German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeder has allocated all pups. So exciting! We have been pretty sure this guy was mine for a week. But now it's for sure.

Blitzen Von Haus Ukres :)

Sire is Pepper Von Kap Kathargo
https://www.working-dog.com/dogs-details/2941717/Pepper-von-Kap-Karthago

Dam is Dena Mae's Ybajo
https://www.working-dog.com/dogs-details/6310413/Dena-Maes-Ybajo-USA

This is Pepper's 2nd litter with a USA based dam. This is a repeat litter of an almost 9 month old male that is a great boy :) I'm with him all the time-he is a close friend's dog.

Nugget Check! One, Two we are good:

And a pic of him from like 5 weeks old. His white shock of hair on his chest is circled because my friend and I are calling it the Staatsmacht stamp. Puppy's great grandsire is Quardes..and my friend has a Quardes son (who I adore). They all have "the mark"

Anyway....YOLO!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't wait to smell puppy breath again. It has been a long time....

The breeder has already been using clicker for focus. Got my puppy tugs, treats. My friend got his first puppy collar. Mostly for my daughter who will be very involved. It will be the first new puppy in her life. Last GSD was 4 months old and Valor was 5.5. So this is her "first right from mamma" pup.

Timing is great. He arrives on the 18th then we are all off Good Friday and Monday. I plan to mostly crate and rotate with Valor with short interactions. Valor is very good with pups and stable dogs general, right from intro. He is aloof to other grown males, but gets to know them just fine as long as they are stable too. With pups, females, and small breeds he is flat out gentlemanly. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
CometDog,
What is it that you like about this breeding and the 9 month old pup from the first breeding and what are you expecting/hoping to see in terms of drive/nerves/temperament? I heard second hand from someone whose husband did some helper work with him that Pepper is a dog that loves to work for his handler. And I am aware that Stefan's dogs tend to be on the extreme side.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just came here to say that I LOVE PEPPER! Please keep us updated on this little guy! Is he going to be a sport prospect? I've followed several of Pep's offspring and know that he throws very sporty, drivey pups. I'm friends with Madison Crowe, who bred her Tala to him and so far the pups are very promising sport dogs.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Puppy fever does weird things with me. Enjoy your peaceful nights for now. Remind yourself in three weeks that he will turn out to be OK when you are standing on wet grass in the middle of the night with a pup that doesn't have a clue what you are doing there and all the puppy stuff that people come onto the forum for. ;)
It really is good that puppies are over-the-top cute. All kidding aside: enjoy! He looks beautiful and healthy.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
CometDog,
What is it that you like about this breeding and the 9 month old pup from the first breeding and what are you expecting/hoping to see in terms of drive/nerves/temperament? I heard second hand from someone whose husband did some helper work with him that Pepper is a dog that loves to work for his handler. And I am aware that Stefan's dogs tend to be on the extreme side.
I like that the Staatsmachts have steely nerves. I spend time with nearly every day a Quardes son, and we train together. His desire to work, the sheer joy he gets from interacting with a handler and working for his reward is something I don't see out of other GSDs I have been around. While he was infrequently around kids growing up (he is 5) he walked into my zoo of a house and interacted just fine with my autistic flappy kids just fine. He is a beast on the field but also loves to swim with us. I see his good off switch. You do need to put all balls away and give a clear message..but the switch is there. There is an old world intelligence in his eyes. And while he will work great for other handlers with confidence, independent of his handler, if called to his handler he will always go. It seems to be a nice combo of handler bonding and independence. His tracking is methodical and impressive. His obedience is great. His out...needs a strong skilled handler for him to out. There is that. He is handler hard but has never been handler aggressive. His drive would be too high for me were I to be able to choose something like that for sure. But, I can manage him. I dog sit him often. He has a comedic side. He likes to jet between your legs and stare up at you. He has taken my 12 year old on a surprise horsey ride like that lol So he rips it on the field, has taken decoys out of their shoes, always gets a "whoah" from even experienced decoys, is obedient...can play with my kids nicely, and can watch tv on the couch with you. I also know of another dog from his same breeding that has a great reputation as a champion and all around good dog.

The 9 month old pup is obviously farther removed genetically from Quardes, Gracia, Leon. He is not as handler hard. He thinks before acting a bit more than the Quardes son. He is great in my house and with my kids and he looks great on the field so far. He LOVES to hit the field. Nice and quiet during OB, no leaking. Takes naturally to tracking, bite work will not be an issue for this guy. He loves it and engages with the decoy great. It seemed like he just knew what to do..running a blind already. My club had the first ZAP1 test in the US a few weeks ago. The puppy did great with no practice. Stayed focused on his handler through leaf blowers, gunfire, dropped chains etc. Play on the unbalance table, walking on ramps and regular tables. He has a nice sound temperament. He is definitely more "pet suitable" (but not pet quality by any means..he will be able to compete well for sure ) than the Quardes dog, but his drive is great and he has a love of it that you can see, and an off switch exists. Unless someone says "chicken foot" lol I have seen him exhibit understandable caution (not at regular stuff but understandable stuff like my intact grown male acting like The Krakken in his crate when he passes it, or my autistic son making a bubble tornado in the tub) but he does recover quickly and nicely. Sometimes a dog that has such steel nerves can be reckless too. The Quardes son has never exhibited caution. It comes though with a tenacity that would be much for the average home. So I am hoping for the happy medium of good nerves with a healthy dose of thought before acting.

These are all observations from experienced decoys and trainers too, not just my own observations. The 9 month old is Pepper's first litter in the US. None of his progeny is age 2 yet but reports out of Europe are all so far stellar. There was mention that we don't have the same quality of Dam here though so...I also believe people when they say the Dam matters more. I like what I see though. The videos I have seen of the Dam both on the field and in social environments..I like it.

I heavily researched all of the pedigree. The famed D litter, Asko, Bolle. Issac Schroeder's Dog Of The Day thing on FB (it is mostly public) helped me reach out to people I didn't know. I've reached out to so many people and was grateful for a lot of candid feedback. Some people really care enough to be accurate, especially privately. I have heard about the handler aggression in some of the ancestry and of course ...backs. Pepper is cleared for Spondyo and I had a hard time finding any but a handful of people who had dogs with bad backs. When you produce that many dogs, and when your lines are attractive primarily to the hard working crowd, I'd say between the sheer number it is actually a typical percentage, and with the work they do they probably don't injure any easier or with more frequency than other hard worked early dogs. Aside from people's feelings about a particular breeder in general and aside from legend like stories about a few dogs in the light of 100s upon hundreds produced, it was not enough to make me think it was a genetic curse.

Having seen these dogs in life rather than reading about them was a huge factor. The 9 month old is a puppy I would want. The other people who have the rest of the litter are happy. I have seen enough to feel like I don't trust mere titles. Like I said in another post..show me the product at a parade or a park. I can see that here both in the 9 month old, the Quardes son (they live together) and in videos and web relationships built with the breeder and owners of the rest of the 9 month old litter.

Maybe this belongs in the pedigree section :) Feel free to discuss or ask me to post in pedigrees to discuss. I like discussing it and have no problem with varying opinions and input.

Anyway, I also have backup. Breeder has a lifetime take back guarantee and plenty of people I know that are more working than pet are interested in these lines and have professed their support.

*Puppy comes with a 2 year supply of Quik Clot and pressure bandages* lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just came here to say that I LOVE PEPPER! Please keep us updated on this little guy! Is he going to be a sport prospect? I've followed several of Pep's offspring and know that he throws very sporty, drivey pups. I'm friends with Madison Crowe, who bred her Tala to him and so far the pups are very promising sport dogs.
I will certainly do updates! Is Tala US? His breedings are starting to happen here and I'm excited and hopeful his progeny are as successful here as well. I heard Pepper is great and solid socially as well as on the field. That is what I want and am hoping for. My Valor is such a great dog too. More serious than sporty, but he is one of a "right hand man" type dogs. When I am doing the herding cats a.m scramble with the kids he is sitting patiently with the Spock eyebrows going..just waiting to get the ok to cross the threshold and hop in the truck . He goes everywhere possible with me and definitely has pack drive. He will enjoy the addition just as much, I am hopeful. Valor likes puppies lol I will have to do crating, rotating, structured interaction, and one on one training to avoid dogginess at first.

I plan to do IGP with this pup, same as Valor. I hope to get good enough to go beyond club level at some point. Valor is not a points dog and I am fine with that. He is my rock, really. I'd like to maybe try PSA with him after he is like 2.5. On paper this little dude should be a points dog if I can step up my game and get better at handling. I don't think I will have the time to make trips and regionals but I want to get my handling and training ability to the point where I can walk on another field to trial besides my home club, and belong there. As for anything else..who knows. So much depends on scheduling since I have joint custody of 3 little kids. Trips on my time with them just wont be doable. Anytime there is a seminar or trial I CAN make, I'd like to go. So that is pretty much my plan.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Puppy fever does weird things with me. Enjoy your peaceful nights for now. Remind yourself in three weeks that he will turn out to be OK when you are standing on wet grass in the middle of the night with a pup that doesn't have a clue what you are doing there and all the puppy stuff that people come onto the forum for. ;)
It really is good that puppies are over-the-top cute. All kidding aside: enjoy! He looks beautiful and healthy.
Thank you! I remember reading how you start with them. I am much the same. He comes on a day when we are all off for a stretch. My daughter is about to learn a few things while I chuckle and reminisce of the sleep deprivation a new little creature can cause lol I told her sometimes they wake every 3 or 4 hours. She said that's ok I usually wake up a few times a night too. *chuckle*

·
Registered
518 Posts
I will certainly do updates! Is Tala US? His breedings are starting to happen here and I'm excited and hopeful his progeny are as successful here as well. I heard Pepper is great and solid socially as well as on the field. That is what I want and am hoping for. My Valor is such a great dog too. More serious than sporty, but he is one of a "right hand man" type dogs. When I am doing the herding cats a.m scramble with the kids he is sitting patiently with the Spock eyebrows going..just waiting to get the ok to cross the threshold and hop in the truck . He goes everywhere possible with me and definitely has pack drive. He will enjoy the addition just as much, I am hopeful. Valor likes puppies lol I will have to do crating, rotating, structured interaction, and one on one training to avoid dogginess at first.

I plan to do IGP with this pup, same as Valor. I hope to get good enough to go beyond club level at some point. Valor is not a points dog and I am fine with that. He is my rock, really. I'd like to maybe try PSA with him after he is like 2.5. On paper this little dude should be a points dog if I can step up my game and get better at handling. I don't think I will have the time to make trips and regionals but I want to get my handling and training ability to the point where I can walk on another field to trial besides my home club, and belong there. As for anything else..who knows. So much depends on scheduling since I have joint custody of 3 little kids. Trips on my time with them just wont be doable. Anytime there is a seminar or trial I CAN make, I'd like to go. So that is pretty much my plan.
Yes, Madison is a US based breeder and Tala is here in America. The pups are still pretty young. I know a few other breeders who have or are going to breed to Pepper. Lots of nice pairings coming up.

That sounds fun and good luck! I just got my first serious sport prospect and am doing PSA (I am also a training decoy for our club.) I did IPO many years ago, but was not super serious about it. This time around, I did a lot of research on breeders and lines and got a pup with the right temperment (which means he's a terror and a handful.) Lol!

Have fun with the little guy and keep posting photos!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CometDog,

Congratulations on your new puppy. My Bogie now 4 months, is a Pepper Von Kap Kathargo's son. Very nice dog.

Mary
What is his like? Who is his Dam if you don't mind sharing?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Don't mind sharing at all. Humphrey Bogart von Sharock aka Bogie, born November 26, 2018, 40lbs at 4 months. Dam Faith, Hope, and Love von Sharock. Bogie is WONDERFUL. Energy wise he is the one in the litter of four that was the most lay back. The others are much more driven. Bogie will play ball with you but wants lots of cuddles and petting while playing. My Bella and Eik will play till your arm falls off. Bogie is very smart and food driven so working with him is always fun. He like other people and dogs but is starting to behave like a well bred GSD should and doing his very best to be neutral around people and dogs, still working on that�� Is not bothered by thunder, bicycle tires blowing out or loud noises. He is everything I wanted and more. Shannon owner of von Sharock Kennels breeds excellent dogs. I have known her for over 10 years and have wanted one of her pups forever. Not only can her dogs work, IPO, service dogs, police K9, they are exceptional companion dogs with the correct temperament

Mary

1 - 20 of 33 Posts