German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my GSD and my Dobe to the beach today and took some photos. Norah the GSD managed to look dorky, deformed or just downright odd in every photo, there wasn't a single one I'd have posted on here for fear of being kicked off the forum for having a dog that is an embarrassment to her breed! But I did manage to get a couple of great shots of the dobe. Just to stay within the remits of a GSD forum, the second picture has been "photobombed" by Norah's ears :)

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
beautiful dobie. Throws me off seeing an uncropped undocked dobie.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beautiful dobie. Throws me off seeing an uncropped undocked dobie.
Thanks, I think he's beautiful too, and he throws a lot of people, not just because of the tail but because he's red, it's surprising how many people think they only come in black and tan. I wish I had a $ for every time someone thought he was a Vizela!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks, I think he's beautiful too, and he throws a lot of people, not just because of the tail but because he's red, it's surprising how many people think they only come in black and tan. I wish I had a $ for every time someone thought he was a Vizela!

I see more of the red dobies here than the black and tan. I'd like a black and tan male someday. I like the reds but the black and tans have me sold. I can see how people would think he's a vizla with that tail! Kinda like with people who think GSDs only come in the black and tan. :crazy:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Love those euro Dobes we had a male passed away at 5

Beautiful pics :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually prefer black and tan dobes too (I haven't told Red Dog that!), but I wanted one with a tail and I couldn't find a breeder who would leave one on for me. Red came to us as a 9 week old puppy through the doberman rescue so we had no choice re: his colour. He's the best dog, a real big clumsy clown who adores EVERYBODY, you have to be a dog lover to come to our house though, because you WILL get licked and you WILL get leaned on and have your feet trodden on by him!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Love those euro Dobes we had a male passed away at 5
Passed away at 5, that's so sad, what happened?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
He's beautiful, love his ears and tail. Charlie has nice eartips also...didn't want him to feel left out...:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We're lucky, Red has had the blood test for VWD and he's fine, but sad for you and your boy, love his expression :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's good you had him tested we didn't know until that day as we got him at 11 months these are actually the pictures the previous owners took thy didn't tell me about the VWD but had to have known as his tail and ears were done when we got him

We're lucky, Red has had the blood test for VWD and he's fine, but sad for you and your boy, love his expression :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thy didn't tell me about the VWD but had to have known as his tail and ears were done when we got him
That's pretty low, you might still have taken him but you should have been given the opportunity to make an informed decision..

·
Registered
334 Posts
You would think so eh :) anyway your boy is very handsome just love the pics on the beach had to laugh because you can see the shepherds silly ears in the one pic.

That's pretty low, you might still have taken him but you should have been given the opportunity to make an informed decision..

·
Registered
717 Posts
You would be better off doing the DNA test than the ELISA, as the ELISA test is known for being inaccurate. I'm not sure about NZ, but in the States, you can have it done through either VetGen or Vetnostics. It will give you a definite answer as to whether he is genetically Clear, Carrier, or Affected. A genetic Clear or Carrier won't have vWD related bleeding problems.

That's good you had him tested we didn't know until that day as we got him at 11 months these are actually the pictures the previous owners took thy didn't tell me about the VWD but had to have known as his tail and ears were done when we got him
Actually, most genetically affected puppies have no trouble with tail docking and ear cropping. Also, most genetically affected dogs never become clinically affected. Your guy was, sadly, in the minority. It highlights why you need to know your dog's vWD status, though.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Beautiful guy. I've never seen an undocked dobie, but your guy could make me change my mind. He's absolutely gorgeous. I'd still love to see pics of your GSD with the goofy faces :wild:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought he was a Vizla too at first! He is beautiful. Does his tail always curl like that?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would be better off doing the DNA test than the ELISA, as the ELISA test is known for being inaccurate. I'm not sure about NZ, but in the States, you can have it done through either VetGen or Vetnostics. It will give you a definite answer as to whether he is genetically Clear, Carrier, or Affected. A genetic Clear or Carrier won't have vWD related bleeding problems.
I didn't know that, I'm sure it can be done here, it might mean sending the samples to Australia for analysis, which I had done a while ago for a horse. We had Red neutered so passing any genetic faults on won't be an issue.

I'd still love to see pics of your GSD with the goofy faces
Haha sorry, they were deleted! They weren't just goofy faces, I seemed to catch her in bad positions so she looked hunched up or like she was missing a limb, they were terrible!!

He is beautiful. Does his tail always curl like that?
Aw, thank you, his tail generally curls up when he's alert, but when he's just "mooching" it hangs down..

Thanks for all the comments, I think he's super handsome :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts