German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl is getting spayed today. We brought her in about 2.5 hours ago and left her there. As I was leaving, she started screaming and yelping (she is a very vocal and dramatic dog) and it made it so hard to leave her there.

She was there at 8AM and won’t have surgery until 11 - 12… that seems so long to me for her to be sitting in a crate freaking out and scared. Maybe I’m overreacting but I feel so horrible for her. She is such an immature, dramatic and sensitive dog and I know this is going to be so horrible for her. I am counting the hours until I can call to see when I can pick her up at two.

I know this happens all the time, but I am so worried!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
They think its the end of the world to be left like that. My vet told me that from her experience, GSD's are all about the drama. I know your little girl will be just fine. It will be over with before you know...even though it seems like forever. When I took Uschi in for her spay...she kept looking at me over her shoulder as they led her out of the room. She had such a sad look on her face...broke my heart. But when I picked her up...all was good in her world again. :D

Hang in there and keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I know how you feel. I've toyed with the idea of getting my male neutered and have NO idea what I would do with myself if I ever did. He's sensitive, HATES to be away from one of us, and has SA. PLUS, he gets aggressive with the vet due to poor experiences in the past. :(

There's no way I could safely leave him there all day, let alone over night like many vets request.

She'll be much better off. Good for you.
:rolleyes: What is with all the pushing to spay/neuter now days and thinking that it's like god?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awww thanks all. Lol my eyes got teary when I pictured that poor little puppy looking over her shoulder all sad. Navah looked all freaked out and spastic, the yelping made it hard and all the Vet was doing was taking her away from me.

I know when I pick her up she will be better since she seems to always be so relaxed when I am around, it’s just so long till I can get her! LOL I do admit that Navah is extremely dramatic, she is by far the most dramatic dog I have ever owned. She is 8 months and a week old.

Ill will try and focus on 6 weeks from now... trying... at least then I never have to do it again. Maybe I’ll call the Vet just to see. I know they will just tell me she is fine though lol.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I know how you feel...my Ava is a drama queen too...lol!! She'll be fine...big hugs :)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Yes, I try to be very neutral for the dog's sake for drop offs but I know I am still a mess! Usually once I am gone, they are fine. :D

It is really good for dogs to get used to being at the vet office - regular appointments, routine surgeries when necessary, happy visits because when they HAVE to stay, it makes it a lot easier. My little dog (who has many issues) this weekend had to stay for a very serious issue and she did really well because she goes with me to pick up HW pills, as a buddy when other dogs have appointments, etc, and has gotten to know people there. I have had other dogs with lots of issues and have found that they do fine because they have to.

Good luck to you both today!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
All those impromptu visits for weight checks, dropping off cookies and fruits for the vet and staff and just to say Howdie really pay off huh Jean?

LOL

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Great strategy!! We should all strive to make our vet's office a fun place to visit like Jean does...good thinking!!
You look around and usually see dogs shaking in the waiting room...because all they associate it with is an exam, shots, etc. Popping in just like that is a great idea!!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Great strategy!! We should all strive to make our vet's office a fun place to visit like Jean does...good thinking!!
You look around and usually see dogs shaking in the waiting room...because all they associate it with is an exam, shots, etc. Popping in just like that is a great idea!!
Haha, after one bad vet visit and a new found aggression, this is exactly what I'm doing, too!

Frag goes into the vets about once a week to get a weight and love on all the receptionists/techs and get yummy treats. He's lucky I love him, our vet is an hour and a half away... :rolleyes: But he is getting better, too. He only growled during our last real visit, no snapping or barking, and he didn't push the envelope. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Riley and I just endured her spay on Monday... It was awful. She was trying to get free from the vet tech as my daughter and I were sneaking out the door as quickly as possible.

what's this about 6 weeks???? is it really that long before they're fully recovered??

·
Registered
987 Posts
I understand how the Op feels, I dropped Frank off this morning to get neutered, although my husband kept telling Frank he was getting his tonsils out and would get ice cream afterwards, for some reason made my husband feel better,
My vet always tells us to call at noon to get updates and I can pick him up between 3:30 and 5. can't waite to get the big guy back the other dogs just keep looking at me like where's he at?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I had to leave my female overnight at a referral/emergency center for elbow surgery. Talk about drama queen. When I picked her up she gave me an earful. When I took her back for a follow-up exam, she was jumping up on all the furniture and twirling like a dervish.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I know how you're feeling. I don't care why I have to leave the Hooligans, even for a simple test that takes a while, it's really hard on me.

Mac's my Drama Queen - God forbid that he should be separated from his Mama. He acts like a fool until they get him in the back into a run. The others will bulk at first, I'll start to walk with them and then they're like little troopers and go the rest of the way by themselves. But not Mac!

And NO, I NEVER make a big deal out of leaving them, I simply ignore the fact they're going into the back ... but inside I'm crying!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts