German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of disheartening. We went to the Humane Society store that we frequent, and one of the well-known volunteers were there. She asked if Grimm was neutered. She tells us her sister has a German Shepherd she'd like to breed. We said, "he's not neutered yet - we are waiting until he fills out, pursue titling, OFA, etc. and go from there."

She tells us her sister's dog is a "rescue" and doesn't have papers, but she'd like for her to "have one litter before spaying her because she and her son want one of her puppies." :( She went onto say, "and I KNOW I can find homes for the others."

This is someone we respected as she has rescue dogs, volunteers with the H.S., etc. and then this is stated.

I KNOW that she knows about dog overpopulation, etc. so we just left it as "our sales agreement with Grimm forbids us from breeding him before the age of two, without necessary health checks, before he's titled, and he can't be bred to a non-papered/non-titled female."

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That's what so many people think... and look how many dogs are in shelters, dying every day because of it.... I'm amazed she'd even consider breeding a RESCUED female, with her being knowledgeable about the topic.
I know in the sugar glider world, if you breed a rescued glider, other glider lovers will rip you a new one. That's part of the reason I was looking for a breeder that would have the leu male neutered before I got him. Yet I still get people asking me if I breed and when I'll have joeys available. :/

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
This is someone we respected as she has rescue dogs, volunteers with the H.S., etc. and then this is stated.
*sigh*

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
And someone I met in a puppy class a year ago, works at our shelter, bought her puppy from a pet store. A PET STORE!!! What's up with that???

Worse yet, she said this makes thirteen dogs for her. Ok, I got ten. But someone who is intimately involve in the local shelter, works there, can't possibly have a ton of money, has 12 dogs and purchases a puppy from a pet store. But she wouldn't consider a breeder!!! Yep, she said that. Will do a puppy mill dog from a pet store, but not a breeder.

I just start spouting off what I require for a mating, OFAs, brucellosis, VWd, tests for infections, and the whole nine yards, and they give up. They USUALLY say that they are not looking to sell the pups for very much or even at all. But do you really want to risk your dogs reproductive health on a litter of pups that are not expected to even be sold???

People are crazy, even those you'd think would know better.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
...so she finds homes for the other 8 puppies. and each of those owners wish for their dogs to have "just 1 litter first"... and so on :(

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
The just one litter so I can have his son line really strikes me.

I was at the vet one day with Otto (Brother Love) and there's this woman there with a huge am-bull. She was visibly upset so I asked if I could help her. She said no, she was there to put the am-bull down becuase he was vicious. Went on to tell me he was her older dog's son, she'd just wanted one litter. She'd done everything right with this dog but he just wasn't right in the head. She was miserable, knew she'd made a terrible mistake.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I misread the quote. I thought her intentions for breeding was so that she could give one to her son.

I don't understand how someone can justify this in their head. No matter what, NO two dogs are the same. Not even the cloned ones. (I was watching the news a while back about someone cloning a GSD that was in the police K9 unit.)

If EVERYONE thought like this, then imagine how many MORE dogs would be in shelters? Are there not enough people who make this mistake already???

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This may not sound right or be kind of rough or out of line, but I would have had half a mind to go to whoever is in charge of the volunteers and talk to them about her. Someone volunteering at a Humane Society should know better than this and if she doesn't then her supervisor needs to educate her. I would not try to get her in trouble or anything, but she obviously is serisouly misled about overpopulation and the right and wrong reasons for breeding and before she educates any more of the public as a representative of the Humane Society she should be clued in herself.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I misread the quote. I thought her intentions for breeding was so that she could give one to her son.
Her friend's intentions for breeding was so that the owner could have a puppy as well as her son (older) could have a puppy from her (the dog, obviously...not the woman.)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
This always kind of makes me laugh in a sad way. Think about it in human terms. Would I be a good replacement for my brother or mother? No way, we're completely different! Why should dogs be any different?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
OK so if she does "find good homes for the others" -- those homes then are unavailable for dogs already born that need homes ...

makes me crazy
(whoops! I am already crazy - makes me crazier...there!)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Umm yeah...that is (kinda) how I ended up with 7 cats! Except in my case it wasn't intentional breeding; there were feral kittens I took in-- I found a litter of 7 which has been born in my yard... "Kittens are cute, everyone wants kittens so I'm sure I can find homes for them." :headbang:

Kittens (and puppies) may be cute but there are so many already needing homes, the "market" is "saturated" so to speak. I was able to find homes for three of them but two of those were not until they were 6+ months old...
The rest, well, let's just say none of our laps will be getting cold any time soon. I don't regret it one bit though! Three were in bad shape and would not have survived if I hadn't found them; it means less feral cats out there breeding; and these guys are some of the friendliest cats I've seen (possibly partly because they think I am their actual mother...) One of them is now a feline blood donor (possibly two more if they pass the 10 pound mark), one is a "Grand master(champion)" show cat and will hopefully be doing animal assisted therapy if I can find somewhere to take her.

Sorry, sorry, I know that was rather off-topic but if it helps you can replace the words "cats" and "kittens" in my post with "dogs" and "puppies" and it works out about the same! Well, except if they were GSDs I'd be spending even more than I am already on the Orijen. ;)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Umm yeah...that is (kinda) how I ended up with 7 cats! Except in my case it wasn't intentional breeding; there were feral kittens I took in-- I found a litter of 7 which has been born in my yard... "Kittens are cute, everyone wants kittens so I'm sure I can find homes for them." :headbang:

Kittens (and puppies) may be cute but there are so many already needing homes, the "market" is "saturated" so to speak. I was able to find homes for three of them but two of those were not until they were 6+ months old...
The rest, well, let's just say none of our laps will be getting cold any time soon. I don't regret it one bit though! Three were in bad shape and would not have survived if I hadn't found them; it means less feral cats out there breeding; and these guys are some of the friendliest cats I've seen (possibly partly because they think I am their actual mother...) One of them is now a feline blood donor (possibly two more if they pass the 10 pound mark), one is a "Grand master(champion)" show cat and will hopefully be doing animal assisted therapy if I can find somewhere to take her.

Sorry, sorry, I know that was rather off-topic but if it helps you can replace the words "cats" and "kittens" in my post with "dogs" and "puppies" and it works out about the same! Well, except if they were GSDs I'd be spending even more than I am already on the Orijen. ;)
I'm not sure if they do this in other states, but I know in AZ, if you call about feral cats, Animal Control or the Humane Society will come out, spay/neuter them, and put them back. I think it's pretty neat.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm not sure if they do this in other states, but I know in AZ, if you call about feral cats, Animal Control or the Humane Society will come out, spay/neuter them, and put them back. I think it's pretty neat.
I don't think they have that here... I am pretty sure Animal Control here euthanizes them.
There is a spay/neuter clinic that holds specific 'feral days' once a month where you can bring feral cats to be spayed/neutered for free. However you have to bring them in yourself in traps, and you have to have a place to keep them for recuperation before you release them-- both of which I don't have (I also don't have a way to bring them to the clinic, which is way on the south side.) I'd love for the ferals around here to get fixed, there are so many and I hate to think about how many more are being produced. I've seen cats who look so much like the ones I rescued that I am sure they are related. If I could find transportation and figure out a way to house them temporarily I would definitely go for it.

The kittens I have found were luckily young enough that they were not "wild" yet. One was about 6-7 weeks old, and the litter of kittens were believed to be under 3 weeks old (young enough that I had to bottle-feed them.)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Ah there's a girl who now works at the Humane Society I used to work for years ago who breeds her pet quality dogs and refuses to allow the vet to spay pregnant dogs. Used to be pregnant dogs and cats were spayed unless they were really just too close to giving birth. Somehow she's gotten the position changed on dogs - she hates cats and from what I have heard isn't very nice when it comes to euthanizing them but it's all secondhand info and the person I got it from doesn't want to speak up about that. She's a young girl too, early twenties if that. When I did my vet tech internship there I had the "pleasure" of working with her and seeing her fight the director over 2 pregnant dogs that he had slated to spay. She won and they had their puppies - overnight at the shelter both times and several of the puppies in each litter died. There were no open foster homes at that time to take on either dog and of course she wasn't taking them home with her. But they got to have their puppies all alone and they got to watch them die too. Where was the sense in that exactly. I just think it's sad that no one says anything about her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts