German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we moved from the city to a more rural area, I've been finding ticks on Rocky and it's driving me crazy! I've got him on K9 Advantix and I gave him a flea/tick bath about a month ago, but I just found another one! Does anyone have advice about anything else I can do? He lives in the house and only goes outside to do his business or play.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
There is an organic spray that appears to work called Relief Spray by Mad About Organics.
But I have used all of the above and have been picking ticks off my dogs for as long as I remember. I can only hope that those reduce that number that would have been.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Bug Off Garlic from Springtime Inc works but it takes 3 weeks to build up in the system. In the 6 years I've been using it for the dogs I've found only one tick on a dog but several on me! :sick:

·
Registered
32,012 Posts
Try Equisect, it's derived from chrysanthemums. In Tractor Supply in the Equine section. Just spray him before he goes out to play. It shouldn't bother with the Advantix but I don't know for sure so you may want to look it up.

I haven't found a single tick on my horse since we started using it and it is also advertised for dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
would all that work for fleas too? We've been cleaning the house like mad and the dogs have gotten baths but its too cold out not to bath them outside. I'm starting to lose it. They only go outside to do thier business because they hate being outside without us there (and they're not allowed out without us for longer than a couple minutes) but we still have fleas.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I use Adams flea/tick spray. If they have a tick on them it makes them detach so you can kill them. I one time had one of my dogs that got out and took off in the woods he was not sprayed when he came back he was loaded in ticks. I sprayed him and they detached and starting trying to crawl away.

·
Registered
32,012 Posts
what is the active ingredient in it?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The most important ingredient is Neem oil.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I use Vectra each month and haven't seen any ticks, but in the past we've had some bumper crops of ticks- then I use the Adams spray. If the tick is attached, I soak a cotton ball with it and hold it over the tick for about 15 sec or so and that's usually enough to have it drop off dead. There have been a couple of years that I've had them wear tick collars besides the preventive but that was before I used Vectra. Welcome to the country!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you can also try the Preventic collars, I hate these little buggers;(

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
If you have room for chickens they love to eat ticks! We use to let ours freerange, and never had a tick problem. Now with 3 GSD's they have to stay cooped, I had ticks really bad for the first time this past spring. I bought ShooTags! and they didn't completely repel, but Kacie had fewer on her when she wore the tag. I did NOT want to put insecticides on my dogs. I also put a dab of geranium oil on the nylon collar, which helped, too. The downside of shootags is the dog has to wear a collar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts