German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a dog tax bill from the county tax office. Grrrr. What gives? They new his name, sex, color and breed. This information had to have come from the vet's office. Fortunately the tax is only 7$ for neutered and $25 for intact. Not really breaking the bank. Its the whole point that everything we have is taxed. I hope they don't find out about my chickens!

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
You don't have dog licenses in your area? I would contact the county office and make sure it's legit and also ask where they got the info from. I don't think it's legal for a vet to release information without owner consent. I know it's not in PA.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am sure it is legit. I have had to pay this tax before on my two old GSDs. I just never disclosed my current dog to them and that is what has me irked. The fact that somebody is sharing my information with them. I don't mind paying the tax, I have been meaning to inform them but its one of those things that is not real high on my priority list.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
it could also be from the paperwork that they send in when your dog gets a rabies shot.
Or something that is written in the fine print at the vets office. I would find out for sure where the info is coming from

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It might be your rabies tag, mate. I think that some states or counties have their rabies tags regulated by animal control (distributed by your vet), and they can use your information to enforce licensing laws. I know that my county 'requires' a license but it only ever becomes a problem if there's a complaint against your dog. If it makes you feel any better, we have to charge $7 for altered pets and $47 for unaltered pets! Ouch! Sorry to hear about it... keep those chickens under wraps! :p

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Yeah I am sure it is legit. I have had to pay this tax before on my two old GSDs. I just never disclosed my current dog to them and that is what has me irked. The fact that somebody is sharing my information with them. I don't mind paying the tax, I have been meaning to inform them but its one of those things that is not real high on my priority list.
Not sure where you live but here in Nevada they get the info when you have a Rabies shot. The vet has to send paperwork to the county or state I'm not sure which but someone gets that paperwork. I always go down and get my dogs licensed anyway so if something bad happens, I'm covered. I've even did the paperwork and paid the extra 50 dollars so I can have up to 6 otherwise I'm limited to 3.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, we do not have a dog license here. At least they do not send us anything. Just a tax bill once a year.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I wish town/county governments would get smarter...call it a licensing fee and you don't get people angry. Call it a tax, and people get pissed. It's pretty much the same thing. In my county we have to license our pets...but like someone said, only an issue if your pet gets in trouble. If the tag is on them, and they get picked up by animal control, its also an easy way to get them back to you without a microchip needing to be read.

Here is $12 for altered, $24 for intact. I know plenty of people that have never licensed their dog, and its not an issue.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It probably was a licensing fee. Here we have a rabies tag with the vet's name and number and a separate county license. The most important one here is the rabies tag. The county license comes with a tag and $10 fee. Most people only get the license one year and never renew it. No one keeps track of it. I don't think Raina ever got one. Pyrate had one because he was a rescue from the shelter. My dog never runs free but if it ever happened Raina is microchipped and tattooed. I would probably have to pay the license fee then if the AC caught her.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Here when a dog gets his rabies shot my vet collects the money for the dog license for Alachua County residents (where the hospital is located). They don't have the authority to collect license fees from their patients who reside in Marion County where I live.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You know, this thread reminded me that I haven't (and don't intend to) licensed Shania this year. What's weird is that the city hasn't even sent me reminders yet to get the license and its already June.

I know they know about her because she's been licensed for the last 12 years. It's just unusual that they would not have sent out reminders yet. They sent me reminders to get Lucky licensed several times each year for 4 years after she passed.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went back and re-read the bill. It does say pet privilege license. It is linked to the Rabies vaccination. It was sent from the county animal control office.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Here every year when we get our paperwork from the assessor to fill out for the past year there is a section where you have to list your dogs and send in tax money for them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's the lovely thing about Egypt

Where the palm tree's grow there is no tax, no TV licence, no pet license

Nobody here would even dream of being a tax collector taking into account most people keep maya nar (fire water - sulphuric acid) by the door

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's the lovely thing about Egypt

Where the palm tree's grow there is no tax, no TV licence, no pet license

Nobody here would even dream of being a tax collector or collecting tax LOL

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
In Palm Beach County Florida, we have no fee beyond the Rabies tag fee. You guys are pretty lucky if you ask me. I pay $75.00 annually for my intact GSD rabies tag. That's on top of the vet's office call and rabies shot charges.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
In Palm Beach County Florida, we have no fee beyond the Rabies tag fee. You guys are pretty lucky if you ask me. I pay $75.00 annually for my intact GSD rabies tag. That's on top of the vet's office call and rabies shot charges.
If the rabies shot has a cost and the vet's visit has a cost, then the tag fee must be the license fee. Here there is a separate tag for the license and a separate tag for the rabies shot. But, like I said most people only license their dog's once but rabies tags get renewed every year if you get the one year shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts