German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally thought we had Zoe's crate escaping under control. Came home to our house being completly destroyed yesterday...down feather duvet ripped up, bed side table chewed on, shoes destroyed- along with clothes...she even chewed the latch off the weenie dog's crate and let them out (that part I actually thought was funny...a few hours later of course...I can imagine her being like "dont you worry guys, I'm getting you out and we are going to have a partayyyy!)!!! Really I think I just need to vent more than anything...I dropped her off at the K9 University this morning since we had a free day of day care. Her trainer is supposed to be calling him when he gets in. I'm hoping he will have some good advice...he advised we change from the wire crate to a plastic one...which helped for a week until she figured that gate out yesterday. She literally bent the metal/wire gate back and lost two toe nails in the process. We have done the in and out of the crate while we are at home- trying to build up the time, but as soon as she can't hear me anymore she flips. I have sat in front of the crate- moved back a few feet, waited a min, moved back further, until I'm out of site...then the freak out begins. She is one of those dogs that won't let you leave the room without her- she is my shadow. I'm only at work 6 hours a day and my husband takes her jogging nearly every night...nightly fetch sessions at the park across the street from our house...we do "doggie" stuff nearly every weekend. It's not like she never sees us and doesn't get exercise. I just don't know what else to do...I'm anxiously awaiting the trainers call. Until then I'll be doing some further research of my own. Desperate at this point...she is an awesome dog...just have to get past her severe seperation anxiety :wild: :wild: :wild:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plano (North of Dallas)...I see that you're in Tyler...My husband grew up out there.

·
5,627 Posts
They make crates that are escape proof but they are expensive.

Have you tried a larger crate? I had a foster once that would NOT get in a 42" crate and if you tried he panicked but had no trouble being in the 54" (Great Dane size).

I also reinforce all edges with zip ties (had a foster somehow collapse the crate to get out) and usually tie the leash through the door so they can't pull it open.

Have you tried a kong, DAP plug in or other things to calm her anxiety being left alone?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Oh Katie, that sweet little Zoe I met last week did THAT!?! :)
Letting the weiner out is funny. I have no experience in that area so have no advice. Alicia may have some? Are you guys planning on going tomorrow?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
we actually seriously considered getting one of these for Shelby. She had some serious seperation anxiety when she came to us.

Heavy Duty Dog Crate - Indestructible Dog Crates - Pet Strollers - Pet Carriers

currently we cant just drop the $$ for this crate. She's gotten better. out of desperation, she would get muzzled, crated in or pups plastic crate (pup went into the wire) and the crate door would be tied closed with 550 cord because she would escape the crate. She no longer has to be muzzled but still has the be tied in. Not sure i'm ready yet to see if she'll stay in without the door being tied shut. One of the things we did with Shasta was the first 2 1/2 months she was with us, she slept in her crate downstairs while the other two dogs were able to sleep upstairs with us (because they actually sleep at night! lol) so we could make it clear to her that it was okay to be alone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh Katie, that sweet little Zoe I met last week did THAT!?! :)
Letting the weiner out is funny. I have no experience in that area so have no advice. Alicia may have some? Are you guys planning on going tomorrow?
Yes, Zoe and I will be there tomorrow :)

Those super duty crates are super expensive..we should have invested the $695 we spent on boot camp on that instead! I'm looking online and considering the plug-in (Stress Control: Comfort Zone® Plug-In for Dogs)

We used zip ties on the wire crate bc she could collapse that thing in minutes and be out...then she learned how to wiggle the latch loose from the inside of her crate, so I bought LOCKS...then she decided a couple of weeks ago to just pull back the door and bloody her snout. I called the trainer and he suggested a plastic crate (I was thinking "yeah riiight, she can bust out of a metal crate") But I followed his advice and bought the xx-large great dane sized kennel and for a week she was GREAT! But it didn't take her long to figure out this plastic crate. I went to walmart and bought some of those stretchy cords w/ hooks on both ends and used those to secure the gate this morning- I went downstairs and sat...listening to her flipping out. 10 minutes later she was downstairs. She pulled the gate off and inside the crate with her and slipped under the cords. So I loaded her up and dropped her off at daycare. I feel bad for the poor kid that was there, he had to listen to me cry :D Still haven't heard from the trainer. I'm thinking I'll call in a few minutes....when I pulled away this morning I could see her playing with a corgi through the big window they have...she was so happy. It breaks my heart bc all she wants is to be with people ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KZoppa- Actually...the link you posted had decent prices. I found some online yesterday that were $700!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Don't buy anything until we chat tomorrow. I've got one from my mastiff days, it is much more heavy duty than the one's in the stores and has a totally different latching system. I only used it for a couple of months. You are welcome to try it out and if it works you can buy it if you like. We can talk about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:hug: Sounds great :) I REALLY appreciate it!

On a different note- I was reading reviews for DAP plug ins on Petsmart's site and read the review- OMG some
people are disgusting!!

"I have two large dogs that are not exactly happy with their living conditions. We are trying to sell our house so they are being kept in the garage for the time. This has been very stressful for them so I have tried everything to calm them down. I purchased this product as a last resort and I wish I had found it first!! within minutes of plugging it in they were both so calm and quiet. no more messes and no more barking!!"

Keeping your dogs in the garage??? Seriously?

·
Registered
334 Posts
:hug: Sounds great :) I REALLY appreciate it!

On a different note- I was reading reviews for DAP plug ins on Petsmart's site and read the review- OMG some
people are disgusting!!

"I have two large dogs that are not exactly happy with their living conditions. We are trying to sell our house so they are being kept in the garage for the time. This has been very stressful for them so I have tried everything to calm them down. I purchased this product as a last resort and I wish I had found it first!! within minutes of plugging it in they were both so calm and quiet. no more messes and no more barking!!"

Keeping your dogs in the garage??? Seriously?
That's horrible!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yeah we were going to wait until tax returns in 2011 to get it but if Shelby is actually getting better i dont think i'm going to worry about it. Those level 3 escaoe proof crates were recommended to me by our vet. She had to get one for her golden cause he demolished crate after crate. Just if you decide to go that route you may have to get a different locking system. Some of the reviewers had issues with the locks not working right but a trip to the hardware store fixed the problem. But only a few people had issue. i hope you get it figured out! i know its no fun having an escape artist who demolishes everything. best of luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have done this in the past and seemed to work. When I left for work in the morning I would turn the stereo/radio on or sometimes the television just so there are human voices in the background. Always seemed to calm my pups from turning into " Gremlins " :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
My friend has a Catahoula that is an escape artist and she got an aluminum crate (looks kinda homemade, but well done) for $50 on kijiji (our version of CL). It obviously wouldn't be airline approved, but she's not worried about that. I wonder if you could go to some kind of fabricator and get something made for less.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My friend has a Catahoula that is an escape artist and she got an aluminum crate (looks kinda homemade, but well done) for $50 on kijiji (our version of CL). It obviously wouldn't be airline approved, but she's not worried about that. I wonder if you could go to some kind of fabricator and get something made for less.

oh thats a good point. There is someone here who makes truck bed crates from aluminum. They're REALLY sturdy and not too expensive. I'll see if i can figure out who does it if you'd like. they make them for homes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts