German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been googling a lot yesterday. I've been looking into dog trailers and came across a website where German Shepherds from all over the world are put up for sale.

I came across an ad that had a dog posted for 15.200 USD's. A dog that has just the BH and I was wondering of how you can justify that much money for a dog that was only titled in the BH.

I went to the breeders website and came across another dog that they put up there for 6000 dollars. A neutered dog for 6000 bucks? Really?

Anyhow, I posted on the German working dog forum and asked what they'd think about that.

All I got was "Hey, if anyone is dumb enough to pay that money it's their fault. And who of us wouldn't do it?"

They more I am on here they more I realize that the ethics and morals in Germany are not even close to what I've seen on here.

I couldn't ask for that much money if that dog was only titled with the BH. If it was a really good dog with a lot of potential and somebody offered the money, than I'd maybe do it unless I knew that I couldn't possibly find another dog that good for a very long time.

What made me sad is the answers on the German side. That they don't care, that every day somebody is stupid enough to do it, that it's okay to do it and that overall i am just an idiot for even thinking about these things.

It made me realize that there is a huge difference between German and American breeders and that I do not want to be affiliated with people that would knowingly screw potential buyers over. To me that is not responsible breeding and what breeding should be about.

As a breeder you have a responsibility. Not only a responsibility for the dogs you produce but also to educate potential buyers.

As a buyer I want a relationship with the breeder. I want to be able to contact him and ask questions. I want him to be happy to see pictures about the dog he produced and to be there if I have any questions along the way.

Things seem to be different from where I am from. If the dog is sold, it's sold and thats it. Most of the breeders won't ask you any questions, they'll simply sell you the dog.

It made me realize that people on here have changed my view on how things should be but the way to get there is a long way and I am not sure if it'll ever change.

I don't know where I am going with this, it just made me realize that my views, the way they are now, have changed a lot. And honestly, I wanted to thank you for doing that. It made me realize how corrupt the German Shepherd business really is. Sadly...

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Caveat Emptor

Ignorance is NOT bliss, it is EXPENSIVE.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you think thats bad look at this one for protection dogs. P.S. have a defibrillator handy:) Executive Personal Protection Adult Dogs For Sale - CCK9

Holy cow. :help:

I know how much money is involved in the German Shepherd breed and I know that there are dogs that go well over a 100k but they have to be worth the money and not just a dog that is claimed to be a protection dog or that only comes with a BH or even worse, that's neutered.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I needed that much protection I think I would buy a used Sherman tank! By the way I seen this site about two years ago and they had one marked sold for $41,000. For about the same price I bought a brand new 36 foot travel trailer, two dogs, had change left over for my daughter's wedding and two vacations.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I watched a bit of the TV show with Steven Segal in it. He had just gotten another PPD for his home. He had one GSD already. They were introducing the dogs to eachother, and then working both of them against an 'intruder'. The trainer was there, along with the decoy. I am sure Segal spent top dollar for both the dogs, not to mention what he would be paying for additional training.

There is a demand for these trained dogs out there. And they can ask whatever price they want and it will be paid. I am sure there is a lot of training involved on a daily basis to get these dogs spot on with no mistakes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Problem is, Segal doesn't know how to handle them. Loaded weapons imo, wonder if the wife can even interact with them. The PPD dogs he had didn't even look that well trained, at all...the guys a crook.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wasn't there a kid that joined the forum a few months ago that said his dad was buying him and his brother dogs from that company (or one similar). I remember him saying they were spending about 65k on his gsd. His brother wanted a Mal.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I went to the NFR this year in Vegas. There was also a company there that sold protection dogs for some very high prices. I can't imagine spending that kind of money for a dog that is trained. But I guess there are quite a few people out there that will so since there is a market for them, there will people selling them.

Yes, DharmasMom there was a young person on here who said that.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I watched a bit of the TV show with Steven Segal in it. He had just gotten another PPD for his home. He had one GSD already. They were introducing the dogs to eachother, and then working both of them against an 'intruder'. The trainer was there, along with the decoy. I am sure Segal spent top dollar for both the dogs, not to mention what he would be paying for additional training.

There is a demand for these trained dogs out there. And they can ask whatever price they want and it will be paid. I am sure there is a lot of training involved on a daily basis to get these dogs spot on with no mistakes.

I saw that episode on youtube. He got the dogs from this guy at Canine Protection International (CPI)
Protection Dogs For Sale by CPI

No the dogs didn't look that well trained at all either. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a dog but hey you know what they say about a fool and his money.....

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
What made me sad is the answers on the German side. That they don't care, that every day somebody is stupid enough to do it, that it's okay to do it and that overall i am just an idiot for even thinking about these things.
Do they have a list of these people stupid enough to do it? LOL
To be honest, I don't see how breeders can charge so little for certain dogs.
I've been trying for years to put together some way to finance a property to use as a breeding/training/boarding kennel/shelter type facility and so far it's been impossible at the rates breeders tend to charge. I'm not even greedy, I don't even care about what kind of people house is on the property!
If any of these people that are willing to pay $65,000 would like to direct their money towards me, they can be assured their money is going to a good place even if the dog can be found cheaper elsewhere :D LOL

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been googling a lot yesterday. I've been looking into dog trailers and came across a website where German Shepherds from all over the world are put up for sale.

I came across an ad that had a dog posted for 15.200 USD's. A dog that has just the BH and I was wondering of how you can justify that much money for a dog that was only titled in the BH.

I went to the breeders website and came across another dog that they put up there for 6000 dollars. A neutered dog for 6000 bucks? Really?

Anyhow, I posted on the German working dog forum and asked what they'd think about that.

All I got was "Hey, if anyone is dumb enough to pay that money it's their fault. And who of us wouldn't do it?"

They more I am on here they more I realize that the ethics and morals in Germany are not even close to what I've seen on here.

I couldn't ask for that much money if that dog was only titled with the BH. If it was a really good dog with a lot of potential and somebody offered the money, than I'd maybe do it unless I knew that I couldn't possibly find another dog that good for a very long time.

It made me realize that there is a huge difference between German and American breeders and that I do not want to be affiliated with people that would knowingly screw potential buyers over. To me that is not responsible breeding and what breeding should be about.

As a breeder you have a responsibility. Not only a responsibility for the dogs you produce but also to educate potential buyers.

As a buyer I want a relationship with the breeder. I want to be able to contact him and ask questions. I want him to be happy to see pictures about the dog he produced and to be there if I have any questions along the way.

Things seem to be different from where I am from. If the dog is sold, it's sold and thats it. Most of the breeders won't ask you any questions, they'll simply sell you the dog.

It made me realize that people on here have changed my view on how things should be but the way to get there is a long way and I am not sure if it'll ever change.

I don't know where I am going with this, it just made me realize that my views, the way they are now, have changed a lot. And honestly, I wanted to thank you for doing that. It made me realize how corrupt the German Shepherd business really is. Sadly...

I am surprised that this is shocking to you. I know the add you are speaking of as I originally saw it about 3 weeks ago. The company is here in Arizona and they sell dogs for crazy prices.

At some point you can't blame the seller, the responsibility goes to the buyer. I don't see anyone blaming Neiman Marcus for charging $800 for a pair of slack despite the fact that they only paid $200 for it. (I know this b/c I worked there). As an employee we use to laugh at all the people who would buy stuff there that was marked up sometimes 300- 400%. Yes you read that correctly.

Ignorance isn't a viable excuse and I won't blame a buyer for getting paid off someone who is willing to pay it. In the end people pay what they feel the dog is worth. No one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to pay that amount. As long as they are happy with the dog, that is all that matters. There are people who think $1500 dog a dog is out of line and you are crazy to pay that. So the costs of things are relative to you and the size of your wallet.

**** if I could sell a dog for $65,000, I would and wouldn't think twice about it. As long as the buyer is happy then great.

There are people on Wall Street and there are politicians who do waaay worse and their impact impacts everyone so I won't bash a breeder/trainer or what have you for getting paid.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If any of these people that are willing to pay $65,000 would like to direct their money towards me, they can be assured their money is going to a good place even if the dog can be found cheaper elsewhere :D LOL
I so agree with you on this. There is a lot of money floating around that I wish I could get my hands on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What someone wants to charge and what someone wants to pay is their own business. I figure that unless it is affecting my own financial situation, it's really not my problem.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am surprised that this is shocking to you. I know the add you are speaking of as I originally saw it about 3 weeks ago. The company is here in Arizona and they sell dogs for crazy prices.

At some point you can't blame the seller, the responsibility goes to the buyer. I don't see anyone blaming Neiman Marcus for charging $800 for a pair of slack despite the fact that they only paid $200 for it. (I know this b/c I worked there). As an employee we use to laugh at all the people who would buy stuff there that was marked up sometimes 300- 400%. Yes you read that correctly.

Ignorance isn't a viable excuse and I won't blame a buyer for getting paid off someone who is willing to pay it. In the end people pay what they feel the dog is worth. No one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to pay that amount. As long as they are happy with the dog, that is all that matters. There are people who think $1500 dog a dog is out of line and you are crazy to pay that. So the costs of things are relative to you and the size of your wallet.

**** if I could sell a dog for $65,000, I would and wouldn't think twice about it. As long as the buyer is happy then great.

There are people on Wall Street and there are politicians who do waaay worse and their impact impacts everyone so I won't bash a breeder/trainer or what have you for getting paid.
I know that the kennel that is selling those dogs are highly skilled though. That is out of question. The prices are crazy though. I've seen that castrated puppy for 6000 Dollars and I was like "Really?"

If it was a fully trained dog, I could understand but if I wanted a castrated puppy I might as well go to the Shelter and get one there. Unless it is an evaluated and potential Service Dog... I would not pay that much money.

I do know that they put a lot of time into training. They just had a German trainer visiting and training with them and I've been talking to him for quite a while, that trainer gave me a lot of useful tips on building up Indra and I know I can trust that person. He is one that KNOWS his job.

So as long a dog is worth the money and somebody willed to pay it, it's okay. If he wasn't worth the money and somebody would simply take advantage of somebody than I'd have a huge problem with it. Not that I could do something about it anyway, but I would feel ashamed on behalf of the Shepherd Community.

Does that make sense?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The thing that makes the dog worth the money is that someone is willing to pay. It's worth it to at least one person. Nothing has intrinsic value in the marketplace.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts