German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I got my Nina yesterday

She's sweet and smart, curious and playful.

But she's so tiny!! she only weighs 5 pounds. Is this normal for a German shepherd?

·
Super Moderator
32,541 Posts
That is very small. How old is she?

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Is she 8 weeks old? My pups at 7.5 weeks average 15 pounds.....5 pounds is the weight at 4 weeks or so...

I would get her to a vet for a check up...be sure to take a fecal sample (fresh poop in a plastic baggie) so they can check her for parasites.

Lee

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
195 Posts
What a beautiful puppy!! Congratulations on your new family member! How old is she? I got my puppy when he was 7 weeks, our vet put him on a special diet and told us to feed him more meals because she wanted him to be around 7 or 8 pounds based on his size at that time. He had one litter mate that was twice his size and weight at 7 weeks, every dog is different. I think if you're worried about her size you should bring her to the vet. They'll examine her and make sure she is perfectly healthy and if they feel she needs diet changes or any other special care they should have plenty of advice. You'll need bring her to one anyways for vaccines, so at least it's not extra. :) Also not to worry you, especially if she isn't showing symptoms but, puppies are prone to parasites. Our guy was underweight when we got him because he had a parasite that caused him to throw up and have diarrhea. He was treated, put on a special prescription diet and within 1 day there was noticeable differences. In 4 days he went from 5 pounds and 4 ounces to 9 pounds and our vet was thrilled with his weight being there at 8 weeks. Now he is on his normal kibble and a very healthy puppy. I just feel like anytime there is a concern it is best to bring your dog to a vet to actually be seen. As helpful as the people one this site are and trust me there are so many amazing people here and THEY ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!! Hands on care from a vet is where you get the real answers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are getting a puppy. DDR GSD and weighs 10.4 lbs at 5 weeks. Your pup is small and may be on the small size when full grown. GSDs are not supposed to be really big, my last girl was only 55 lbs at adult size. Does not matter, good things come in small packages.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
I'd double check that scale. Just looking at her size compared to the clasp on the leash, that doesn't look like a 5lb puppy to me.

I agree. I work with little dogs every day, and this puppy looks heavier than that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you weigh her or is this what you were told her weight was? Is it possible that she is 5kg, not 5lbs? She is very pretty and doesn't look too thin in this picture but we can't really see her body, waist. Do you have more pictures you can post?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts