German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the vet with my girl Mya and the vet said she has Parvo. Today has only been two weeks since we got her, she is only 13 weeks old, and I don't know what to do. She got sick yesterday while my father in-law was watching her (we were out of town visiting family for a couple of days) anyways he called us yesterday and said she had diarrhea and was vomiting so we called the vet. The vet said to keep an eye on her and if she gets worse bring her in. Her dad said she was at least drinking some water and keeping it down but after we got home she drank some water and just kept vomiting. So I rushed her to the vet and that's when I got the bad news.

The vet gave her fluids under the skin and 3 different shots. She is so skinny and week and doesn't have any energy. The vet said its 50-50 but one good thing is her white blood cell count is 8000, she said 6k to 15k is normal. ( I think that's right I received a lot of info). She said there is 2 options one is to bring her back to the vet everyday to get the medicine (same as what she just got) or I can take her to the 24hr animal hospital an hour and a half away. Their treatment is about a $150 a day and the hospital will be 3-4 thousand for a few days there. Me and the wife are going to stay with the vet since it seems to be working.

Now the other problem is my other pup is 13 months and has his shots, but the vet said get him a booster just to make sure. Those two are like best friends and they are both crying because I have Mya in the basement and Bailey up stairs. They share toys and everything else so the wife and I have been disinfecting everything with bleach and threw away the toys they played with. I am so scared that Bailey is going to get sick too. Tomorrow I'm going to spray the whole yard down with bleach water mix to help kill the disease. The vet said the virus can last up to a year in the yard.

I guess I'm just looking for some support, info, and/or experience. The vet said everything should play out in the next 4-5 days, good or bad. :( I guess I can just keep her company and comfortable and see what happens.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm so sorry you are dealing with this!!!! I'll pray that everything works out and your pup gets better!!!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
MattG, I'm sorry I don't really have any advice. It does seem to me that since your older pup had his shots and will get a booster, that he should be fine. I'm sure someone here has experience and advice to share. I wish you all the best. Little Mya will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Jan

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
So sorry to hear about Mya, what a scary situation. Our last gsd, Omy, had a tick disease, erlichsiosis and as a result also had parvo, mange, you name it. She was so very sick and the vet gave us the same chances of her making it- 50/50. She spent days and days at the vet's office, it was really touch and go each day but she made it! She came home skin and bones, her fur falling out, her stomach was a mess from all the meds but we nursed her back to health. Literally fed her by hand until she had enough appetite to eat on her own. She suffered a relapse about 6 wks later but recovered again. She lived a long happy healthy life and passed away just a few weeks shy of her 12th birthday. I so hope your Mya and Bailey will be ok, I know it's horrible to go through.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm very sorry you are being put through this! :(

I volunteer for a weim rescue and we recently transported 6 weims to michigan from the south. All got parvo and were taken to the vet the first day it was noticed. Only 3 survived, so it truely is a 50/50 chance, but I hope your girl makes it out! German Shepherds are strong, she should.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first GSD, Duchess had distemper as a pup, shortly after we brought her home, years ago. The vet said her chances were not good and we should take her back. No way was that an option, so he treated her with vitamin C and Antibiotic injections. Her chances were not good, but she recovered and lived to the old age of 14 1/2 years. Hope your babies will be OK! My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I pray things get better. Though have faith, there is a 4 to 5 day window and some puppies have been known to survive parvo. I wish you the best.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
I'm very sorry you are going through this. Parvo is a deadly disease and very painful for a puppy. :( The fact that she has a high White Blood Cell count is a great thing, that makes her chances of fighting greater. Make sure she is kept hydrated at all times and gets the shots regularly. I hope she pulls through this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Matt,

What you are going through is probably one of the scariest things you can experience. I know because I went through it 2 1/2 years ago with my mixed breed. She hadn't finished her rounds of boosters when she came down with it and I was almost certain she would die. I took her to the EVet and they gave fluids under her skin and a couple of shots. They told me when she was discharged the following morning that I would probably lose her and to take her to my Vet immediately. It was Sunday and my Vet was not open until Monday. I kept her in my arms, slept on the couch, coaxed water into her as much as I could. I gave her Gatorade or Pedialyte, I can't remember really, but to help, I even just gave drops on her tongue. I prayed. I cried. I was certain when I finally fell asleep that when I woke, she'd be gone and cold - hidden somewhere under a bed. I woke at 2 am and she was gone, but when I called her name, much to my relief, she came running, was perked up and fine. I took her into the vet first thing Monday anyway and they kept her for observation for a day. She pulled through and was fine.

Other members can answer better if it is Gatorade or Pedialyte, but the fluids are your most important focus right now. Again, perhaps a member can answer, but maybe something like Ensure would even be good. Pray if you pray, and I will pray with you. If your Mya has a fighting spirit, you have an excellent chance. The fact that you took her in as soon as there were symptoms also gave her a fighting chance.

With my girl, from start to finish was three days. So, you have 2-3 more days before you are out of the woods. Please keep us updated. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Keeping Mya in my thoughts for a full recovery.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Lost a puppy a year ago to parvo - I posted about his struggle here every day. He fought for a week until I had no choice but to let him go. I did shuttle him back and forth to my vet at first for a few days and then hospitalized him at the E Vet for 4 days - I wish I would have done that right off the bat though. I still occasionally wonder if he would have made it if he'd been taken care of at the Care Center vs my personal vet. Their treatment protocol was far more than just the IV fluids my vet was giving. My bill for total was just over $4000 and I would have paid twice that if my puppy would have lived.

Look up Parvaid and get some ordered - might help. I went as far as doing a blood transfusion because Kuma's wbc count was very low.

Sending prayers to you and Flossie. If you look back to October 2009 you can follow Kuma's fight. Here's a link:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/120488-parvo-need-positive-thoughts-please.html

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Parvaid is definitely worth express shipping: Parvo | Parvo Facts | Amber Tech

If you are not going to hospitalize her (I would if at all possible as the more aggressive treatment the better) then you need to have them show you how to give SubQs at home.

Best of luck--we are all pulling for her!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Many years ago my Dobe puppy got parvo, in spite of being vaccinated. It was so scary, and I was lucky enough to work for a vet at the time. She pulled through, and lived a long healthy life - 14.5 years old!

Hang in there. We'll be keeping your little Mya in our thoughts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Matt,

I am so sorry to hear about Mya and I am thinking positive thoughts that she will survive this. I know what you are going through. Our dog Kona, who was a rescue, became sick from Parvo 4 days after we got her. She had received 2 sets of her vaccinations. We took Kona to the local EVet and she stayed there for 4 days. Kona was in isolation at the hospital, so we couldn't even comfort her. During that time she was very sick and there were moments that were touch and go, but she survived and is a normal, healthy dog who will be 2 years old sometime in February of 2011. Parvo is such a scary disease and can be so brutal for young puppies. If at all possible, take Mya to the EVet/Hospital. I know it is incredibly expensive (we spent over $3000), but it really gives Mya the best chance of survival.

On a positive note, we had our adult GSD at the time and he was absolutely fine. Our GSD and Kona played together and shared everything during those first few days, so he was certainly exposed to the virus, but he was fully vaccinated and had no issues at all. I think your other dog will be fine.

Again, I am so sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we just got back from our vet, and they are keeping her overnight on iv and will be taking care of her until she can keep down food and water. Bailey got his booster and the vet said he should be ok, and just to watch him and make sure he doesn't show any symptoms.

They were not sure why the other vet wouldn't keep her overnight, but at least now she is at our vet and is only 20 minutes away. (The vet last night said the only other thing to do was taker her to a pet hospital an hour and a half away). That is why we waited until this morning to get a hold for our vet, and see what they had to say.

When we called the vet we also learned that the breeder never took her back for her 2nd set of shots (we used the same vet) when we got the shot record I was under the impression she was up to date on all her shots. So, when I called the vet when we got her we set the date for around 16 weeks so she could get her rabies shot. She was almost 13 when we got her. I feel real guilty because, I didn't insist to take her in right when we got her. This could of all been prevented.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers we really appreciate it. Matt.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Matt, it may not have been prevented. Parvo is an ugly illness, and it lives a long time outside of the dog. I had a young Aussie who was up to date on all his vacs and he still came down with Parvo. He pulled through, and lived a long healthy life. You do your best, and stay hopeful.

Your pup is in my thoughts and prayers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts