German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this.

There are people fighting for white German shepherds to become a separate breed, but they're German shepherds!

And also, I read that panda German shepherd people want them to be a separate breed also. They're GSDs!

I don't get it - why do people with color variants of the GSD want them to become a whole separate breed?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't get it - why do people with color variants of the GSD want them to become a whole separate breed?
I think it is partly because a lot of GSD people complain about these colors and do not want them to be bred (or want them in their lines) and partly because they can't be titled in conformation as a GSD.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I don't see a problem with them being classified as a seperate breed as they do with cockers--by color. They're the same breed but to be AKC shown they would just be differintiated by color. They do this with coat type and the weiner dogs. It would be a way to allow the whites in shows but keeping the "standard" safe.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I don't see a problem with them being classified as a seperate breed as they do with cockers--by color. They're the same breed but to be AKC shown they would just be differintiated by color. They do this with coat type and the weiner dogs. It would be a way to allow the whites in shows but keeping the "standard" safe.
This isn't quite true. Cockers aren't considered a separate breed by color, they're considered a variety of the same breed separated by color. While it's not changing those breeds already divided by varieties, it's my understanding that AKC no longer allows the variety division within the same breed.

It's true a lot of fanciers would like to see the WGSD as a separate breed, there are a lot of other fanciers who don't want breed separation, they want to stay in the GSD breed.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
This isn't quite true. Cockers aren't considered a separate breed by color, they're considered a variety of the same breed separated by color. While it's not changing those breeds already divided by varieties, it's my understanding that AKC no longer allows the variety division within the same breed.
What about the Belgians? The AKC considered them to be separate breeds by color/coat.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
My worry about them being a separate breed is that it will completely limit their gene pool.

Does anyone do black GSDs? I mean all black dogs in the past 4 or more generations? Are you concerned about inbreeding, recessive issues, breeding away from certain issues?

No, I do not want a white dog in my pedigree. There is one up in Arwen's line, but to me it suggests someone breeding dogs that have a disqualifying fault. Do they contribute to white toes and giant white spashes on the chest, or is that a separate gene? Frankly, I do not want to see a white pup in my litter. If I get one, I will raise it and sell it, but it is not something I would want to see, like blues or livers.

A good dog cannot be a bad color, but I like dogs with markings.

That said, I would rather the AKC drop the white dog disqualifier, than whites going off as a separate breed. Just my opinion. It keeps the gene pool larger for the whites. I mean, people breeding sables and b&ts are not going to be concerned about whites being a separate breed as it would affect their program.

But then, what would one do who has a white grandsire, and has a litter of black and tan pups and a white one in there. Do they have to apply for a separate registry?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
A weird and random question, but are whites more aggressive?

The guy that sells me my dog food, who says he's grown up w/ GSD's and had many as an adult, keeps saying how great it is that I bring Zeva around and socilize her. I mentioned that her Gfather was a white, *did not see him but this is what I'm told. Dad was b and T, Mom B and R and Gfather white.

He said that they are more aggressive so have to do even more socialization w/ her.

I have a hard time finding this true, but... I wanted to put it out there as a question.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
I think that whites got really popular for a while, and some unscrupulous breeders were breeding for the color without regards to temperament, and it can be seen in some lines.

But it is in some of the rest of the colors as well. On the whole, are they more aggressive than the other colors? I do not know. The couple that I have seen were aggressive, but that does not mean that they came from people who cared about the breed.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I can see them becoming a separate breed because their body type has changed so radically from standard - whatever that is anymore. They are very different from the AKC type and the workingline and the German showline dog. I would not want this color removed from a disqualifying fault unless they return to being just a color and not a different type.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I always saw the white as being a PB GSD but I did think the Panda was another version of GSD but different like a Shiloh.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I always saw the white as being a PB GSD but I did think the Panda was another version of GSD but different like a Shiloh.
It's my understanding that the parents of Franka, the first tri-color GSD (the so-called Panda color/pattern), and Franka were DNA tested and accepted by AKC as being purebred GSDs. A lot of people argue they're not purebred.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Don't know about Panda Shepherds and the DNA. They have the basic body shape of a GSD.

I guess I have mixed feelings on this. While I think they are kind of interesting looking, I am not sure I like the direction that would take the breed. Kind of lke designer dogs but within the breed?

The Wite GSD has been around for a long time. Ssome of the founding dogs in the GSD breed pool were white, (and maybe spotted like the Panda, too) however, they were disqualified due to difficulty seeing them in the herd with the sheep.

I have had a white GSD nad he was no more "Aggressive" than any other GSD I have had. That said, our vet told me all whites were crazy and aggrssive. Mind you he had only seen 3 or 4 in his career. I would imagine a white GSD would be agressive due to lack of socialization and poor breeding, not because the white gene made them aggressive.

There are a lot of white SD's on the forum that are not aggressive form what the owners post.

Where is Stacy (Marshmallows) when I need her? Stacy ahs whites and they are both awesome dogs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
What about the Belgians? The AKC considered them to be separate breeds by color/coat.
True, but that's not the case with the Cocker which is considered one breed divided by color varieties. The Poodle is another case where AKC has the same breed separated as three separate "breeds" via size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts