German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! We finally got our pup. He's a 7 month boy. He is a West German Show line breed and also a licker. He loves licking especially the kids! He's active, but not crazy active. We're doing potty training and some basic commands like place, sit, down, crate etc right now. It's not a teach something in 30 mins like I thought it would be, but he's very obedient and does what he's asked.

We had a couple pooo accidents in the house (1st one being explosive diarrhea in his crate that got on the walls, what a mess! Lmao) but otherwise he tells us when he needs to go. I was told mom/dad are long haired and so will this be, but a GSD owner friend of mine said he won't be a long haired. I'm not sure which it will be...

Father - Ucar von Bad-boll
Mother - Venga von Jabora

I'll be posting here and there asking some questions regarding his training and other things, but we're very happy with chase!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! Unless the pictures of his parents are not correct on PDB, neither are long coats. Your boy looks like a stock coat to me.
Yeah, maybe I remember wrong what he said. I took in so much information in the past week asking breeders questions etc, I get confused.

·
Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
If that’s a smoked bone or rawhide... you may have more diarrhea in your future. None of my dogs have ever tolerated those well. Lots of grease and preservatives.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Congrats! Unless the pictures of his parents are not correct on PDB, neither are long coats. Your boy looks like a stock coat to me.
You can have two stock coats produce a long coat if they're heterozygous ? At least that's what happened with my boy, two short coat parents and he's long coat. I agree this pup doesn't look long coat though.

Cute pup hope he is all you hoped he would be!!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You can have two stock coats produce a long coat if they're heterozygous ? At least that's what happened with my boy, two short coat parents and he's long coat. I agree this pup doesn't look long coat though.

Cute pup hope he is all you hoped he would be!!!!
Yes, if both parents carry the gene for coat, there is a possibility of coated puppies. I was commenting on the OP’s statement that they were told the parents were both longcoats, which they are not. No ear floofs, no feathering on the puppy, either. Stock coat.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Congrats! He looks like a cutie. Maybe someone here can tell you about the two week shutdown. New home causes stress the two week shutdown will help. My aunts husky was 6 months old when she brought him home - housebreaking and adjusting to the schedule took a little bit of time but it all worked out. It’s a good idea to find a trainer who is familiar with gsds. Who told you parents were long coats? Short coats all around.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes, if both parents carry the gene for coat, there is a possibility of coated puppies. I was commenting on the OP’s statement that they were told the parents were both longcoats, which they are not. No ear floofs, no feathering on the puppy, either. Stock coat.
Right if both parents are heterozygous, stock dominant gene the parents phenotype would be stock but carriers of the recessive gene. Gotcha :wink2: yep definitely stock coat puppy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that’s a smoked bone or rawhide... you may have more diarrhea in your future. None of my dogs have ever tolerated those well. Lots of grease and preservatives.
Eh, not sure. I got it at a local pet store (non chain) I don't remember what kind. I figured I get the dog a bone. He seems to like it, and I only let him eat it while I'm around him. I wanted him to get something like that to pass time. I got the kongs with his food in it, but he doesn't seem too interested in those.

He hasn't had diarrhea since that last time. he has giant poop though, would put mine to shame :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats! He looks like a cutie. Maybe someone here can tell you about the two week shutdown. New home causes stress the two week shutdown will help. My aunts husky was 6 months old when she brought him home - housebreaking and adjusting to the schedule took a little bit of time but it all worked out. It’s a good idea to find a trainer who is familiar with gsds. Who told you parents were long coats? Short coats all around.
Yeah, I read the 2 week shut-down. We're trying to stick to something similar, but not exact. He's always on a leash with us around the house right now. But he is learning crate training, potty training, and I'm teaching him some commands (or trying) such as sit, down, place we do take him for a walk around the community once a day and he plays in the backyard. We had my kid's bday party yesterday and there were bunch of people at the house. We kept him upstairs in his crate and only brought him down to potty so he wasn't around 20 people.

I found a good GSD trainer about 40 mins north of me that I'm going to visit and see what we can do with him and some 1 on 1 tactics on training him. It's a learning experience for both of us.

I feel like the breeder told me, but now I can't remember if he was referring to the female from another breed or this one. There was a lot of information coming at me ,and some things I don't remember what was exactly said honestly... so maybe I got that wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts