German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 yr old German shepherd and he is crazy!!!!! He whines all the time no matter what, he wont quit chewing EVERYTHING tried all the sprays, anything and everything. Idk what to do, he spends more time in trouble and there is absolutely no way he can be outside with us while in pool he goes nuts pacing back n forth and he gets so worked up he pants like he is about to have a heart attack. Help.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
The joys of the teenage German Shepherd Dog. So tell us a bit more about what you have already done to try and settle these things. Do you have a trainer to help with obedience? Do you go out on adventures? Exercise and take long walks (not always the same thing). Have you done crate training? Have you taught your dog how to get out of the pool if he accidentally falls in? Tell us what you've tried and we can help with ideas on how to adjust your training.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello, sounds like you're having a stressful time with your boy. I'm sorry you're having trouble. Do you use a crate at all? You might need to confine him to one area when you can't watch him until he is more trustworthy. Give him lots of safe chew toys. When he is loose and you're watching him and he starts to chew on something of yours, tell him No, and give him one of his toys. Praise him when he chooses the right things to chew on. Does he get any off-leash exercise? Sometimes GSDs need to run. Has he been trained at all?--mental exercise is important too. I'm just a pet owner, but if he was my dog, I would start by providing him additional structure and boundaries--crate time, strict supervision when he is loose in the house, with scheduled exercise and training time. Perhaps sign up for some obedience classes. If your dog resists the crate, you may just need to be more stubborn than he is. There is something called Crate Games that I have heard good things about, and our trainer recommended once.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 1.5 yr old German shepherd and he is crazy!!!!! He whines all the time no matter what, he wont quit chewing EVERYTHING tried all the sprays, anything and everything. Idk what to do, he spends more time in trouble and there is absolutely no way he can be outside with us while in pool he goes nuts pacing back n forth and he gets so worked up he pants like he is about to have a heart attack. Help.

We have a high anxiety pup also, though not to the extreme you described. Sometimes I think he thinks his name is, "Leave It!" but he is very high energy and wants to go outside and play constantly, Chuckit, Frisbee, whatever, just as long as he is outside. I find the answer to just about every "issue" we have with Kairo is under-stimulation, mental and/or physical. How much exercise does your pup get on average? Wondering if it's enough for him?

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes we have actually sent him to a 2 week program. We do take him for walks and play in the yard, we try to play ball but he doesn't like to drop the ball and it's almost impossible to take from him. We create him when at work and when in trouble, one of the worst is when we catch him he drops what it is and runs to cage as if he knows what he is doing is wrong. Just like a child push every button. Yes he can get out of the pool if he falls in, but the auto cover is always on when we are not outside, and it can hold up to 300 pounds. His bed is in our room where he sleeps with no crate. He has tons of chew toys, I subscribe to bark box and he gets new durable chew toys every month, but he just seems to want everything else. He opened a zipped up duffle bag and chewed my sons karate pads up. He can open the baby gate to the upstairs. He has chewed our furniture it's just crazy. I know there has to be something.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Yes we have actually sent him to a 2 week program. We do take him for walks and play in the yard, we try to play ball but he doesn't like to drop the ball and it's almost impossible to take from him. We create him when at work and when in trouble, one of the worst is when we catch him he drops what it is and runs to cage as if he knows what he is doing is wrong. Just like a child push every button. Yes he can get out of the pool if he falls in, but the auto cover is always on when we are not outside, and it can hold up to 300 pounds. His bed is in our room where he sleeps with no crate. He has tons of chew toys, I subscribe to bark box and he gets new durable chew toys every month, but he just seems to want everything else. He opened a zipped up duffle bag and chewed my sons karate pads up. He can open the baby gate to the upstairs. He has chewed our furniture it's just crazy. I know there has to be something.
You paid for this dog to be trained? That's bad. Did they work with you as well? Or just hand him back and say goodbye?

So first of all, if he is out of his crate in the house, he should be tethered to you. He cannot get into things if he is always in your sight. Try playing fetch with two identical balls, if that fails work on it on a long line until he gets the idea.

It sounds like he is bored, try some find it games with him or put half his meal in a treat ball or puzzle. Teach him the names of all his toys and to bring them. Teach him to pick up all his toys and put them in a basket. Check the internet for all the weird and wonderful things people have taught their dogs. DO NOT teach your dog to open the fridge or cupboards! Lol. It sounds like a cool idea, it is as long as your dog doesn't figure out that it can serve their purpose as well.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
And you didn't say, but how long have you had this dog?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have had him since he was 11 weeks. The trainer we took him to did work with us also, it did help for a while. We are working with him as far as the two similar balls, he tries to put both in his mouth lol. The problem with fetch is he never wants to drop anything to have it thrown again. I've bought the puzzle toys and treats box things, but he chews them up and destroys them. I will try looking online for little tricks and things to occupy him. He is so sweet and loving, just hoping to find that nitch

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My boy is the same age as yours, I can try to offer some suggestions. Instead of sending him off to a trainer find a class where you can attend with your dog and the trainer can teach you how to handle him properly, preferably an experienced K9 trainer or someone with GSD experience. I'm a huge fan of positive training but sometimes the knuckle heads need balanced training too, ex. prong collar if he is ripping your arm out on a walk. Rule #1 is nothing in life is free. If he can't handle being out unsupervised without destroying everything he is either leashed to you or crated like a little puppy. Don't give him opportunities to fail but rather set him up for success... ex. don't leave food on the counter for him to learn how to counter surf... don't let kids items laying around have the kids pick them up. The next thing i'd say is bare minimum the dog needs two one hour walks a day. I prefer off leash hikes when the weather is nice.. and we run several miles a day on soft grass or dirt. These dogs can be pretty demanding with the amount of exercise they need.... but you also shouldn't rely on exercise alone for good behavior. Don't just try to wear him out because he will just gain more stamina and you won't be able to keep up. Just letting him in the backyard doesn't count as exercise, you need to engage him. Throwing a ball mindlessly also isn't stimulating enough. Take him new places to see new things, smell, etc.
Google teaching the place command and watch a few videos on youtube. Have a bed or place marker somewhere in the house, when he starts getting amped up teach him to go to his place and stay until released. Don't be afraid to use treats, and repetition is key. Eventually he will learn the habit of relaxing instead of getting amped up all the time, he'll run to his place and chill. Get everyone in the house involved including the kids, these dogs need real consistency. I really can't recommend getting with a good trainer enough :wink2:

EDIT: when trying to teach fetch take those two balls, throw one and show him you have the second one once he has retrieved the first. Don't give up the second one until he has dropped the first, and then throw the second in the opposite direction you threw the first and pick up the first. Then do the steps over again.. Repeat for a while until he gets really quick about coming straight to you and dropping it... eventually phase out ball #2.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
He opened a zipped up duffle bag and chewed my sons karate pads up. He can open the baby gate to the upstairs. He has chewed our furniture it's just crazy. I know there has to be something.
Yes, there is something. Give your dog adequate exercise and engagement! At this age, most destructive chewing is a distant memory...but my dog, roughly the same age, will start to chew on stuff she knows not to when she's bored...your dog is bored and under stimulated! All the corrections or training won't help. What you need to do is give him the exercise, both mental and physical, that he needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts