German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He didn't even acknowledge that it happened. I didn't notice it until I saw some blood on his paw well after cutting his nails. Just scratched his nails on a bar of soap, and all is well.
Weird he didn't freak out?

I just cut too short. Won't happen again.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just today bought one of those Oster Nail Trimmers. I haven't used it on Lisl but for just a few seconds to try it out. I'm a little too tired today for dog wrestling.

The good part is that it doesn't make a lot of noise. The bad part is that it's still too loud for Lisl.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've never used a dremmel tool but I do use clippers. I have quicked my dog before. I keep styptic powder around and it stops the bleeding quickly. She will still lie still for me to trim her nails even though I hurt her once. She gets a treat as I finish each foot so she waits for that valuable treat of venison or buffalo.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ouch! Tough little one.

I also cut my boys nails, just did today. His nails are so dark & I'm always afraid of hitting it. I know they could be cut alot shorter.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I quicked Shasta once. She didn't even react. I just cleaned the blood off and dipped her nail in flour to stop the bleeding.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I quicked Shasta once. She didn't even react. I just cleaned the blood off and dipped her nail in flour to stop the bleeding.
Accidentally did the same thing last week. No reaction from Sylar but learned about the flour tip from a vet tech with a prior dog. Didn't notice it until saw spots of blood on carpet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Accidentally did the same thing last week. No reaction from Sylar but learned about the flour tip from a vet tech with a prior dog. Didn't notice it until saw spots of blood on carpet.

yup. Riley used to scream like you were trying to kill him if you quicked him. Shasta is like whatever. When I did it with Shasta, we were visiting my grandma and I asked for some flour when I quicked her. They were like Why? lol. It works the same way at the S. Powder does but I don't have to hunt it down at a pet store!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I read the title "I hit my puppies quick" and thought that you smacked your puppies quickly to try to train them ( trying to hit them so fast that they "dont acknowledge what happened" ) hahaha...phew, just nails. I swear I'm not a grammar picker, but "puppy's quick" would have left me so much less concerned LOL, I just feel dumb over here now for getting all huffed when I came in this thread

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I read the title "I hit my puppies quick" and thought that you smacked your puppies quickly to try to train them ( trying to hit them so fast that they "dont acknowledge what happened" ) hahaha...phew, just nails. I swear I'm not a grammar picker, but "puppy's quick" would have left me so much less concerned LOL, I just feel dumb over here now for getting all huffed when I came in this thread
yr not alone :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i use a dremel. in my dog's puppy class they use to take the dremel and
quickly touch the pup's nail. one touch and that was it. everyday my
GF or i would touch a nail with the dremel. sometimes when he was eating
i would turn the dremel and rub his body with (no, not with the sanding
part. duh.). we touched the pup in some manner everyday with the
dremel, several times a day. we increased the time of the touch slowly.
sometimes i quickly touched two toes sometimes touching the toes on
his rear legs. i slowly got my pup use to the dremel. whenever i used
the dremel there was lots of praise and a little treat.

I just today bought one of those Oster Nail Trimmers. I haven't used it on Lisl but for just a few seconds to try it out. I'm a little too tired today for dog wrestling.

The good part is that it doesn't make a lot of noise. The bad part is that it's still too loud for Lisl.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

you're not alone! I read the title and was like WAIT A MINUTE!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i thought the samething so you're not feeling dumb alone and you know what there's
than KZoopa, x11, you an i that thought the samething. lol.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the confusion. I don't hit my puppy, quick or slow.
He's super good. I played with his paws a bit today to make sure we are still pals.
I think I am more concerned then him. Funny that he didn't freak out. I've read a ton about male Shepherds being drama queens.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i swear you can actually hear the sighs of relief come thru the internet as people finally get the courage to click on this thread.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
He's super good. I played with his paws a bit today to make sure we are still pals.
I think I am more concerned then him. Funny that he didn't freak out. I've read a ton about male Shepherds being drama queens.

Oh believe me! It's not just males. All my females have been overly dramatic at times. The breed as a whole can be pretty dramatic. Cant tell you how many threads I've read about someone accidentally stepping on their dogs paw and the dog milks it for all its worth. They'll even slip up and pretend the paw is still hurt only its the wrong paw and pout when they realize they slipped up and mom/dad aren't falling for it anymore lol.

i swear you can actually hear the sighs of relief come thru the internet as people finally get the courage to click on this thread.

I know right?!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
that's very quick of you.

Sorry for the confusion.

>>>> I don't hit my puppy, quick or slow. <<<<

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
LOL. My male was a drama king when he was younger. I have a quick cutting nightmare story.... one of the first times cutting his nails, I (apparently) cut the quick really bad. I didnt realize until my bed was COVERED in blood. It was everywhere!! I dont know how/why this nail bled so much. It didnt even bother him. Needless to say, I had to spend the next 2 hours washing all my sheets and comforter, and clean the carpet where he walked. After that, I invested in Styptic (?) powder, and then a dremmel. LOL no accidents since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts