German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a night owl. i usually stay awake until 4 or 5 in the morning most nights. Shelby and Riley keep me company downstairs while i play around online and watch TV. Shasta is usually well behaved and sleeping with the other two on the floor. Tonight she was being a brat so she got kenneled pretty early. Well around 4am I hear a yipping which isnt unusual. Shelby makes a regular habit of "talking" in her sleep. Well tonight.... i hear a wolf!!!!

okay so it wasnt an actual wolf but it may as well have been!!! Shelby didnt even give any kind of warning. Out of nowhere comes this long mournful howl. Lasted for a full minute and half, breath and another howl. ALL IN HER SLEEP!!!! I guess she makes up for her silence during the day in her sleep. Having a dog that howls is a first for me. Much less having one who does it in their sleep. It was just very strange because she NEVER barks, even when someone is at the door but she's all kinds of chatty in her sleep! Very amusing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Howling?!? You should hear Dutch. I swear it sounds like a woman screaming sometimes. He barked for the first time today. I don't think the cats enjoyed it. I wonder how they'd react to a howl? :)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
My old gal Kaycee used to howl at the sirens, only dog I had that did that. Try having her in the back seat when a fire truck goes by, ouch!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Omy used to sit out on the hill behind our house and just howl and howl with the coyotes. A long low mournful howl. It sounded as though she was in jail and they were all running free, such a sad wistful sound. Guess she was singing the blues

·
Registered
626 Posts
DJ did the same thing. One night I was up watchin TV, DJ was laying on his rug next to the couch and out of no where, " Woooooooooo " and the big guys paws where in overdrive tryin to catch whatever it was he was dreaming about. This went on for about 5 minutes, LMAO until I figured I better give him a little shake to wake him out of his slumber. He's never done it since. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJ did the same thing. One night I was up watchin TV, DJ was laying on his rug next to the couch and out of no where, " Woooooooooo " and the big guys paws where in overdrive tryin to catch whatever it was he was dreaming about. This went on for about 5 minutes, LMAO until I figured I better give him a little shake to wake him out of his slumber. He's never done it since. :)

kinda makes you wonder what they dream about when the do things like that. Its creepy when everything is silent except for the TV and out of nowhere there is this howling. The barking in their sleep i'm used to. Riley gets pretty ferocious about it. Probably dreaming of being that big fierce intruders beware dog that i keep telling him he isn't. Which is true. The dog would lick before he's ever think about biting. "Hey!!! Come on in and steal EVERYTHING but pet me first!" I'm just so amused that Shelby is the most silent dog ever when she's awake (with a special occassion of barking at Riley every now and then) but when she's sleeping its all over with!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My Sheltie, Duchess, used to howl, usually when she was being left behind.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My Dobie Zeus always howled when sirens went by...I kinda miss it:( Henry the lab runs and whines in his sleep, but so far Zoe just sleeps like a brick:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog makes noise during his sleep.
sometimes his leg twitches. the first part of the night
he's in bed with us. he normally moves to the floor
at some point. talk about bed, that' where i'm going.
Loki is laying a few feet away from me.
i'm to say "let's go to bed" and off we'll go.

good night everybody. good night doggies.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so far Riley will occassionally yip in his sleep, Zena was/is all kinds of mean in her sleep. Zena growls, and barks like she's protecting and runs. Shasta sleeps like someone knocked her upside the head and put her in a coma. Shelby is the most vocal.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've seen that video!!! i love it!!! its hilarious!!!!! hits the wall and is like uhh........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts