German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest being a handled no pull harness but he continues to pull even thought the pressure on ribs should put an end to the pulling.I have tried flat collar, choke chain and now this.My arm is tired.Any suggestions-he is 18 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd like to second that "stopping" when being pulled and not walking until loose. And add on it may take a LONG TIME for it to click and my puppy still forgets sometimes. (He walks well most of the time but sometimes when he has too much energy he forgets and we still do the walk and stop) I also try to quicken my pace for him as well since its harder for them to walk at our pace.

*If he is pulling to get to something like a dog and or dog park (we have one at our apartments) Then I stop and walk in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took some of my girls kibble on walks in my treat pouch. She would pull so hard on her leash she would gag herself but keep pulling. Every few steps I would stop and present her with food. After a block or two she didn't pull too much as she didn't want to be too far from food. I didn't give the high quality treats used in training, just her kibble.

18 weeks is still really young. Practice makes perfect. Play around with different methods; what works for some dogs will have zero effect on others. It may feel like he'll never get the hang of it but as he gets a few more months on him he'll calm down.

Good look. He is so handsome!

·
Registered
874 Posts
We are in classes 2 nights a week and it's been a method of trial and error -- but I can't say enough good for the halti harness and leash ....it's not the one that slips over their nose -- it's just the harness and leash. Love it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are in classes 2 nights a week and it's been a method of trial and error -- but I can't say enough good for the halti harness and leash ....it's not the one that slips over their nose -- it's just the harness and leash. Love it!
I had been using the Halti Harness (front clip one) for Rollo and they definitely work! However, I was informed by another member here about the possibility of the dog's spine becoming twisted due to the placement of the clip (essentially, because they're learning to walk into it, are pulled to the side and may form a tendency to walk a bit crooked). I haven't been using it at all lately, and have been working on obedience with him and directing his energy and attention towards treats during our walk to keep him at heel. We've found he goes nuts over frankfurts, so this has been working really well. :grin2:

OP I would suggest just keep at obedience and heel work. Your pup is still quite young and is just discovering its strength. Like others said, stop moving if he pulls, treat if he stays by your side, and alternate directions so he doesn't focus on specific destinations or follow too many yummy smells. Rollo was a terrible puller when he was little, and now at 9 months he walks like an angel!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know training is better than using tools and all but ive tried everything too and i have two dogs so even when i train them to walk ok when they are together they forget etc etc. i needed something immediate. Started using a head collar. Works wonders. Not all of them are good tho i believe some are designed different so find the one he is comfortable with. I use a training lead with two ends as well. Attach one to the head collar, second to his flat collar. Steer him like a horse if he tries to pull

I got blisters from holding the previous leads with him pulling like a maniac. until i met this head collar.

Still train him though. I mean commands like close and keep treats with you etc. its just the collar makes it easier for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Definitely go to classes if you are not already.

I have been using either a prong or regular collar, prong usually works a little better/faster as the communication is much better, first i start off in a low/ no distraction area with walking and whenever i can tell the dog is not paying attention to me I turn around and start to walk the other way, usually since the dog isn't paying attention they stop, I apply some constant pressure on the collar, not too much though. Then when the dog turns around to follow I do what I call an "active release" with the prong. The dog will usually follow and walk ahead again. I continue doing this as I like how it teaches them to focus on my movements. i turn around, go left and right, and make them sit when i stop walking. on walks i mix all that in especially when they are getting too far ahead or pulling and such. adding treats praise and other rewards for when they are walking nicely.

If you haven't tried this or would like to i can explain deeper or insert a video.

Hope you find something that works soon! Beautiful pup!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Front clip harnesses can cause back issues and dogs will lean in to it to pull. Head halters can cause neck issues. What are you doing to correct the action of him being at the end of the lead?
Don't walk anymore. Go to the sidewalk and plant your feet. Don't move. Make him stop pulling. As soon as he comes to you reward. Monotone. Don't get him excited. Do that for a week. Then start moving. He pulls you plant your feet. I'd suggest a prong on the dead ring. So he feels discomfort pulling. Its a tool. Not a crutch. Essentially you need to reset all the self rewarding he's gotten by pulling you along.
Just my opinion.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
My tool of choice/preference is a Slip Lead Leash (but admittedly ... more of an art than a science) that said pretty much every "effective" dog trainer uses and instructs there clients on the Proper use of a "Prong Collar" facts are facts. You can try and "engineer" your way around that but I would not trust a dog that was "tricked" into behaving "properly" to do anything reliably??

In any case have a look here for SLL and a little bit on the proper use of a "Prong Collar" and those links can provide you with all you need to know on the "Proper" use of a "Prong Collar." And sigh ... used "properly" a "Prong Collar will not harm your dog.

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And ... I think this one is in that thread ... "Conversational Leash work" a "modification of the "KMODT" Kohler Method of Dog Training, leash work in my view ...but whatever. :)

And I just found this ... pretty much SLL with the American Bull Dog and a Flat leash and regular collar with whatever the other dog is??

Success in training your dog to walk properly is about using real tools and using them properly. And that takes time and understanding. You have already taken the first step in that process ... "Out think your dog" Welcome aboard. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
I wouldn't use a prong or slip lead on a 4 month old dog. For now, I would work on marker training recall, focus and training positions through luring. It is far more effective to create habits while the dog is very young. Once being in the heel position is a habit, correcting position problems or pulling is much easier.

Check out the puppy videos on Alexis' Youtube channel for a good example of position training and building habits in a motivational way.

ETA: here is an example.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had been using the Halti Harness (front clip one) for Rollo and they definitely work! However, I was informed by another member here about the possibility of the dog's spine becoming twisted due to the placement of the clip (essentially, because they're learning to walk into it, are pulled to the side and may form a tendency to walk a bit crooked). I haven't been using it at all lately, and have been working on obedience with him and directing his energy and attention towards treats during our walk to keep him at heel. We've found he goes nuts over frankfurts, so this has been working really well.
!

LOL you could give my 4 year old a tbone steak on a walk and she's going to ignore it for what might be going on a mile ahead of us or a mile behind us. She's a spaz on a walk without the harness. I do the hooking in back and front so I can steer her like a horse. And this is with 4 years of being in classes -- she is the " fun police" as my trainer calls her. She wants to make sure nobody is having too much fun.
Brought home #2 the other day from the humane society and that boy walks like a dream SMH!

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Did not realize the dog was 4 month old but whatever, AFAIK?? 16 weeks is pretty much accepted as the standard time to use a "Prong Collar" on a puppy??

With a puppy there are no "Corrections" if one fully understands the "principles" involved in using a leash to walk a dog ... a Flat leash and regular Collar a SLL or a Prong even on a puppy ... will have "Zero" impact ... if done correctly the dog won't even notice the collar is there.

Fire vom Quellwasser 3/5/16 ... is impressive ... I'd heard that could be done??? Not my thing and I would, "challenge the average pet owners" ability to accomplish that??? That said ... I suppose that could be me?? But ... not my thing. I'm more about using leashes and "concepts of operation." Had I seen the clip with Tylor and the American Bull Dog before my work with big headed "Pitty???" Most likely my 5 minutes or less to walk a dog properly record would be unbroken?? So 10 minutes for that guy ... I seriously doubt treats, trys or distractions would have had any impact on him?? I was quite pleased not to be bitten. :)

At any rate ... "Puppy Specific" if you will ... I just did this.:
Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Stubborn Guinness!! (Chip??)

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Pinch collar affixed to the neck properly.
Issue sharp pops to the lead anytime the dog pulls.
Problem solved
I don't disagree with you but the call went out "Puppy, Puppy!" Well ... it all seems to be here?? If one wants to do a "zero" leah correction approach go with...

... the treats and no leash thing. Most like it is a "puppy thing?? I work with "Dogs" with well established patterns of misbehaviour. So I say good luck with that but ... a puppy, I don't know as I have never tried it ... with a puppy.

Dogs I have worked with are not "Blank Slates" and I have got to them to walk "properly" on a loose leash by understanding "basic principles" of how a dog moves. Known claimed pullers, they were fine with me and an onlooker observing would see "Nothing untoward"... so no "harsh corrections." But when I handed them over to the owner at the end of the day. Off they go dragging there owner behind them???

I would have been quite happy still walking/training dogs with nothing more than a regular collar and a flat leash. But the rescue gave me a SLL and said use this. I thought OK ... whatever ... noticed the tab thing snugged that up and the dog did the rest. Just the sensation of snug and up "apparently ... made the difference?? I merely waited and the dog struggled for a few moments stopped and offered a sit??

That in my view is why a "Sit" is pretty much useless in dealing with difficult dogs in my view ... dogs will "Sit" ...anyway. :)

There are no short cuts either put in the time to under the basic principles which I have tried to outline or call it a day and "Hire a Trainer." :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have heard about the prong collar- it looks horrible to use.I have been using a no pull padded harness.Sometimes walks beautifully but now it is him stopping and stopping rather than the pull.On the last walk with this constant stopping, I dropped the leash and walked away, knowing he wants to be with me.He had a choice to make and chose to keep up with me without any leash.Now that work out long term when I want to go for a long walk.I know he does not like me to be away from him but in his mind it's okay to leave me but that is getting less and less.I guess I must have been deluded into thinking every Shepherd was like my first- extremely loyal and a fast leaner.This one has a spirit of his own and a challenge.Amazing that he can learn advanced things such as leaving a treat alone until the okay is said .I will look forward to your video.He will be 5 months old soon.I have 2 more questions , will he ever outgrow the happy to see you peeing and how far to walk a 5 month old as it seems sometimes he develops a limp after too much walking or exercise.I so appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
He should outgrow the excitement peeing. Mark how far you are going before he starts limping, a quarter mile, five blocks, and then take him to your vet and talk to him. You should rule out medical reasons before asking a forum. A puppy should get tired from being possibly walked too far but not necessarily limping from it. Have your vet check it out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have heard about the prong collar- it looks horrible to use.I have been using a no pull padded harness.Sometimes walks beautifully but now it is him stopping and stopping rather than the pull.On the last walk with this constant stopping, I dropped the leash and walked away, knowing he wants to be with me.He had a choice to make and chose to keep up with me without any leash.Now that work out long term when I want to go for a long walk.I know he does not like me to be away from him but in his mind it's okay to leave me but that is getting less and less.I guess I must have been deluded into thinking every Shepherd was like my first- extremely loyal and a fast leaner.This one has a spirit of his own and a challenge.Amazing that he can learn advanced things such as leaving a treat alone until the okay is said .I will look forward to your video.He will be 5 months old soon.I have 2 more questions , will he ever outgrow the happy to see you peeing and how far to walk a 5 month old as it seems sometimes he develops a limp after too much walking or exercise.I so appreciate any help.
Prong collars are an excellent way to train a heel.
Though they look pretty scary, prongs are even more humane that choke chains because instead of choking the dog (and eventually flattening his trachea if he ignores the choking) you are just giving him a pinch when he disobeys. The key is to release the pinching as soon as he yields. It works like a charm.

He will outgrow the peeing eventually unless it becomes a habit.

He's a beautiful puppy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have no problem using a properly placed and fitted prong on my 9 mo old. She hated the harness (front clip) but comes right up to get her prong collar on! Makes a big difference while walking!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.