German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It just seems so unnecessary. Duke is two, does not hump, only plays with our other male dog, and is very well trained.

The problem is none of the kennels we like will take a dog that is not fixed. We are taking a family week plus vaca soon and I think I will have to do it. There are kennels, but he would be crated or segregated in some way from the other dogs which seems cruel because he just will want to play and should.

I need some therapy on this. It just seems pointless to snip him for this reason only. Please give me something else we are not thinkIng about. No Plans to breed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Put an advertisement out on craigs list for a dog sitter.

Requiring spay or neutering for a dog staing at a day care facility is pretty much sop.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
If you don't want to neuter him, you shouldn't feel like you have to because boarding kennels require it. Have you checked with all the kennels in your area? You may need to drive a bit to find one.

If your local LE units have K-9's, ask where the officers board their dogs when the officers have to be away, or if they can give you some suggestions as to where to look.

Or contact a local GSD club, or any other dog breed club that would have members involved in coformation showing and ask how they deal with finding a boarding kennel if they need to board their dogs.

I used to be asked about neutering each time I went to the vet. Each time I politely answered that my dog will not be neutered. After a couple of years they gave up and stopped asking! But it is really up to you, and you should not feel pressured into doing something you are not comfortable with.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You're right, it does seem pointless to neuter him just to able to play with others. But if you like the kennel that much, it wouldn't kill him to be segregated for a week or so.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Have you tried looking at GSD/working dog breeders or trainers in your area. Sometimes those type of places may also do boarding.

Not accepting intact dogs is not unusual for many boarding facilities. Or charging extra.

But there may be other options. I have used Kayla's breeder in the past. Kayla is spayed, Lancer is still intact at the moment. And I now use our trainer who also boards. No issues with either that one is an intact male dog.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Reasons I can see for segregating an intact male (or female for that matter) during boarding -- less chance of dog fight, less chance of breeding. = less liability for the kennel.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't feel pressured to have an elective surgery performed on your dog because of boarding kennel rules. I'm actually pretty surprised boarding kennels are now requiring dogs to be neutered, although it is common at daycares (IMO such rules are due to ignorance more than anything). As has been pointed out, there are other options for boarding or having your dogs looked after while you're away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I am pretty sure the reasoning at the kennel we like more has to do with consideration fornthe other dogs and the owners not wanting little Suzy poodle to be mounted over and over for a week. I kind if get this.

My trainer would gladly take him, but, the experience is far different than the kennel, daycare, and groomer (same place) we use for our other dog and to groom duke. My trainer has fenced in runs. Probably twelve in a row with half under shelter and half outside. Usually all German shepherds each to his or her own run. They are segregated and bark all day. I doubt he ever takes a few out and let's them play together. A week of this for duke makes me ill thinking about it. I know, they are dogs, they will be fine, but it is the compete opposite experience.

I have a decision to make and I will do some research. Hopefully I can find a good place tontake him in tact. He is a big baby.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Thanks all. I am pretty sure the reasoning at the kennel we like more has to do with consideration fornthe other dogs and the owners not wanting little Suzy poodle to be mounted over and over for a week. I kind if get this.
That happens with neutered dogs too.

My trainer would gladly take him, but, the experience is far different than the kennel, daycare, and groomer (same place) we use for our other dog and to groom duke. My trainer has fenced in runs. Probably twelve in a row with half under shelter and half outside. Usually all German shepherds each to his or her own run. They are segregated and bark all day. I doubt he ever takes a few out and let's them play together. A week of this for duke makes me ill thinking about it. I know, they are dogs, they will be fine, but it is the compete opposite experience.

I have a decision to make and I will do some research. Hopefully I can find a good place tontake him in tact. He is a big baby.
Are you sure that your dog will enjoy group play style boarding? Your GSD is young but as GSDs mature, they tend to not want to socialize with strange dogs much. So neutered or not, he will likely get to a point where this type of boarding wouldn't be an option anyway. What about pet sitters?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
If you don't want to neuter your dog, I definitely wouldn't do it just to kennel him. College student, teen neighbor, family member, somebody from church? Anyone who can stay at your home with your dog? Most churches and community associations put out newsletters with ads for people who offer such services. That way you could get some references and it wouldn't be like a complete stranger. I think keeping him home would be the best option. A GSD always does better in his own home.

In past years, I have put my girl in a very nice kennel, while I was away. She did well until last summer, when she was 12. Her condition deteriorated so much. No way will I ever kennel her again. My in-laws will be staying at my house with her next summer. She is 13. Kennels also require shots. Old girl isn't getting any more shots. We are done with kennels.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans do just fine in a kennel such as you described. I've boarded neutered and unneutered males without problems. I pay extra to have them taken out once or twice a day for individual play time or walks.

But if you feel your dog would not be happy for a week or so at this type of kennel, I'd find a pet sitter in lieu of having surgery on an animal that I didn't want to have that surgery.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

Frankly, I thing YOU are the big baby. He's just a dog. A week in solitary won't hurt him a bit. I am sure he will be treated well. Neutering him just so he can play with other dogs for a week makes no sense.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
With all due respect, not all GSDs do well boarded. I have used my boarding facility for years. My dog gets her own indoor/outdoor run. She gets a long walk every day, play time, even swimming if she wanted. I know she is well cared for while there. There are even employees who own shepherds and understand the breed.

Even so, my dog gets an upset stomach EVERY time she is boarded. It is usually short lived. A few times, she has taken longer to recover. Last summer was the worst. I really thought I was going to lose her. She could hardly walk, when I picked her up from boarding. I realize my dog is old and am sure that plays a part in her boarding experience. But, GSDs are sensitive dogs and not all of them are going to do well spending a week in the kennel environment.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
My trainer has fenced in runs. Probably twelve in a row with half under shelter and half outside. Usually all German shepherds each to his or her own run. They are segregated and bark all day. I doubt he ever takes a few out and let's them play together.
I don't really understand why people object to this style of boarding so much. I would love to find a facility that offers individual inside/outside runs for the dogs and then still offers walks and play time, just not with other dogs.

It seems like most facilities are now going to entirely cage-less, where all the dogs share a space, or where they are only in kennels during the night and get to run with the other dogs in a fenced area (or inside area) the rest of the time. I would never leave my dog at a facility like that because I don't know the other dogs, I don't know how well trained staff are, or how well they will supervise. The ONLY time I would let my dog play with a group of other dogs is if I am there supervising, or I am leaving her with someone whose dogs I know and whom I can trust to supervise her properly.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
My dogs would hate going to a boarding kennel. They aren't use to being contained and the barking would make them hoarse. Stress causes some dogs to become ill as well.
The fact that I wouldn't give a bordatella vaccination let alone neuter would keep me from boarding anyway.

I'd much rather pay a person to house-sit so they could stay at their own place.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have so many critters, Hiring a house sitter is my only option. Realy, I would think that is a good alternative because the animal is left in their environment, and they can keep their own old routine.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Do people really take their dogs to boarding kennels where they will be turned out with other dogs???

I would think that would be a huge liability neutered or not.

I have never boarded a dog anywhere, but I would expect my dog to have an indoor outdoor run, a cot, a water bucket, and be fed twice and cleaned after twice a day. Is this an outdated notion of what boarding is?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Do people really take their dogs to boarding kennels where they will be turned out with other dogs???

I would think that would be a huge liability neutered or not.

I have never boarded a dog anywhere, but I would expect my dog to have an indoor outdoor run, a cot, a water bucket, and be fed twice and cleaned after twice a day. Is this an outdated notion of what boarding is?
Yes, almost every major boarding kennel around here doubles as a "doggie daycare." Most of the ones that offer individual kenneling try to push the group play on people.

I think it's nuts. I don't board my dogs and never would, haven't boarded a dog since my family boarded our GSD for the annual family vacation when I was growing up. I hated it then, and would never do it now that it's up to me. We have family watch ours in our house.

If family/friends couldn't watch them, we'd hire a professional in home pet sitting company.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have local dog daycares, and local boarding facilities but i've never really seen a combination of the two, that's interesting.

The last vet hospital I worked at had a kennel with indoor cages and outdoor runs for the dogs to go out in, and personally i'd prefer that over a big group style for boarding. The few times I have boarded my dogs i've kept them separated from each other but next to each other, even though I know my dogs get along with each other.. and most other dogs for that matter. But then, i've also only boarded at places i've also worked at so I know how things are run (and your co-workers end up spoiling your dogs :p) I'm not sure i'd board my dogs at a kennel otherwise.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think you should look around more. you might have to travel
to find that perfect kennel but i think you can find one. can you
find someone to stay at your house or come in several times a day
to come and take care of your dog. if you find a kennel you're
comfortable with i think you should take your dog there for a few visits and short stays before leaving him there for a week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts