German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Now those are some good questions.

I would start by calling the Virginia DMV to see whether he can keep a Virginia driver's license or whether he would need to change his driver's license to either New York or his home of record, Ohio. (The reason I would call VA and not NY would be that VA doesn't have a stake in this either way, whereas NY may give you the, "Oh, you need to change everything to NY spiel." as they tried with us.)

In general, how it works for non-military people, is this - when you move to a new state, for work, school, or any other reason, you have 30 days to change your driver's license and also to apply for new plates for your vehicle. In most states, changing your driver's license coming from another state is as easy as turning your current one in and getting a new one.

In the military, you can keep a driver's license from your home of record. Now, my husband got his first license in California where he also finished high school and joined the military, but his home of record is Virginia. He has a VA license and our Jeep is registered in Virginia.

As of January 2010, spouses can also keep their driver's license and vehicle registration in another state, whereas previously they had to change once they moved to another state (just like any other civilian who moves to another state). I believe that you can declare your home of record - so if your hubby's is VA, as a military spouse, you could make VA your home of record. (Don't hold me to that, though - we moved here before that went into effect and I had to get a NY license. I will eventually change it to hubby's home of record (VA), just haven't yet.)

I don't know how it works if you come in from overseas. That may be a question for the DMV and/or JAG?

You won't need to be up here. :D I've never parallel parked in my life, except on the NY driving test.
thank you Abby for explaining that better than i did!!! but yeah, military dependents have it a little easier now and you dont have to spend nearly as much money with each move because you dont have to get entirely new plates on your vehicles. We have our license's and vehicle plates in our home of record which is Colorado. THAT saves us money yearly as is because most states on the east coast still require a yearly vehicle inspection whereas Colorado no longer requires it. yay on that. But i agree to definitely get in touch with the DMV for accurate answers.

Someone said this already but made a typo. Anyway, you need a credit card also to rent a car. And you have to be over the age of 25, which I assume you are. :)

i'm gonna assume as well. 25 is the age to rent a vehicle unless you go through Hertz (i believe thats the right one) and they only require you to be 21.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
you dont have to spend nearly as much money with each move because you dont have to get entirely new plates on your vehicles.
Well, if the vehicle(s) were registered in both your names and/or the military member's name, you didn't have to get new plates in the first place. :) You could keep the ones from your service member's home of record if you chose to do so.

THAT saves us money yearly as is because most states on the east coast still require a yearly vehicle inspection whereas Colorado no longer requires it.
Unless I am mistaken, this is actually wrong.

AFAIK, if you live in another state for any extended period of time (more than 30 days), your vehicle must meet that state's safety requirements, even if your vehicle's plates and registration are from your home of record. Although your home of record may not require annual inspection, if the state you live in requires annual inspection, you will need to get your vehicle inspected annually and you will need to display the inspection sticker in the window just like any vehicle registered in that state.

If you're in a state with annual inspections, the military base where you are stationed will most likely require that you have a current, valid, inspection sticker displayed on your vehicle as you enter the base.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well, if the vehicle(s) were registered in both your names and/or the military member's name, you didn't have to get new plates in the first place. :) You could keep the ones from your service member's home of record if you chose to do so.

Unless I am mistaken, this is actually wrong.

AFAIK, if you live in another state for any extended period of time (more than 30 days), your vehicle must meet that state's safety requirements, even if your vehicle's plates and registration are from your home of record. Although your home of record may not require annual inspection, if the state you live in requires annual inspection, you will need to get your vehicle inspected annually and you will need to display the inspection sticker in the window just like any vehicle registered in that state.

If you're in a state with annual inspections, the military base where you are stationed will most likely require that you have a current, valid, inspection sticker displayed on your vehicle as you enter the base.

we havent had that issue. so far as long as our plates are current and our insurance is up to date on our vehicles, we've been told we dont need the inspections done. Might just be NC but thats been our experience. I'll ask my local PD about it

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I don't know about NC but a lot of states that require annual safety inspections DO require that your vehicle is inspected and displays the inspection sticker, even if it's registered and the plates are in another state. They can even give you a ticket for not having a current inspection sticker if their state requires them.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I actually get ours through all inspections. I'd rather know whats going on with it instead of the car breaking down one day and not knowing why. That way I know exactly what is up and can get the stuff fixed that has to be fixed.

I am not too worried. We've had the Jeep for a while now and no problems whatsoever and it doesn't even have 20 000 miles yet.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do you know when you are coming to the states? Syracuse airport is kinda small like the the Rochester one. Its easy to get around and not usually crowded.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts