German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got finally notice from the embassy. The first package got approved so all we need now is the doctors appointment and the interview, pay the fee and get the stamp.

We will be taking Yukon with us right away. SATO travel said that he can be flown into Syracuse. He isn't even 80 pounds so he is not to heavy like Gradlyn Kennel said. However what I am wondering about is, how do we get from Syracuse to Post and what Kennels are out there and how much will they cost?

Can anyone suggest any boarding kennel in the Ft.Drum Area?
He is a very sweet boy and I've only seen two dogs in almost two years that he did not get along with. Usually he gets along with any dog, so boarding shouldn't be an issue.

By the way, it's only 180 bucks to take him. So I am wondering if we shouldn't take the others right away too. It's much cheaper than the 2000Euros Gradlyn Kennels offerd us.

Any thoughts?

Oh yes, another question. How does it work to rent a car? Hubby has a stateside license from Virginia, mine is from Germany. Are we okay to get a rental?

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
That's great news!
If it were me, I'd take them all with me at once, and rent a big truck from the airport for the crates and luggage.
We rent in the States all the time with Canadian licenses and it's really easy, an out of state license should be no problem.
We rent a Ford Explorer or Expedition... it runs about $100/day total with tax and insurance (insurance is $30/day but trust me, just get it lol)
At North American airports I always see "helpers" waiting by the gates, if you're struggling with your things they pick up your stuff and carry it wherever you need to go (for a tip of course)... we give them $20 if they're really helpful.
You may just want to place an ad on craigslist or kijiji to have someone pick you guys up and drop you off wherever you need to go. I'd do it but I'm 6 hours away :D

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
You can get a rental car at the airport and should be able to arrange for it before you even get there. When I've had friends visiting from Germany, they'd arranged for their rental car through the Internet and picked it up right at the airport.

If you come to the US as a tourist and have a valid German driver's license, you do not need an international driver's license to rent a vehicle. I do not know whether you can do it if you come here on a green card, or for how long, if at all, you are able to drive using your German license after coming here. That would be a question for the NY DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles).

Chances are good that you will need to obtain a New York learner's permit to drive on until you get your New York license. That is not difficult but you will need your Social Security Number and either your Green Card OR an Employment Authorization Card in hand in order to apply for it. Beyond that, there is a written test and an eye test and you get the card the same day. NY requires that you take a classroom course before you get your full driver's license. This is AFAIK not optional if you are coming from Germany, you will most likely have to go through all that, and take a driving test to boot to get your full license.

Since your husband has a valid VA license, there should be no issues with him driving. If VA is his Home of Record, he can keep his VA license and also register your vehicle in VA and keep VA plates on his car. (That is what we do - also in VA, btw.) He will need to submit a copy of his orders to Fort Drum and his NY address to get his VA license updated within 30 days of moving to New York.

As far as boarding kennels go, I cannot recommend one. I can tell you to stay away from the Doggie Doo on Route 11 just outside of Watertown - Google them for a nice long list of complaints people have had about them. I'm also not a big fan of boarding at Steve's Bark, Bath & Beyond in Alex Bay as I am not particularly thrilled with their facility and/or their dog knowledge. (Besides, they breed -poo dogs.)

Let me ask Jess to see where she boarded Max and Shisma when she went to VA a few months ago.

Yukon can come stay with me if he gets along with Ronja and is good off leash (as we don't have a fence).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I'll take all 3 of your dogs Mrs. K, although I dont think you'll get them back. :D

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh... going through the whole drivers license test, again? :help::wild:

I know there are States in the US that just convert it but I guess NY is not one of them.

Yukon is really good off leash and he's good with females. He'll probably be shy at first but he's a very sweet, loving dog. :wub:

Thank you so much for offering that. It really helps and we'll definitely pay for the food and pay you some dollars for watching him. Hopefully it won't be for long.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I can't remember--will you be coming over on the same flight as them then?

At only $180 each, if you can find a good place for them I'd almost just take them all at once unless you know for sure it's a price that will be sticking around.

I know some good kennels in the Syr area, but not as far north as Watertown. When are you coming? I could possibly take one too for a little bit. But DH is getting knee surgery so it would be a bit iffy depending on dates...

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Don't let them know you have dogs when you go to rent the car. Just saying, some places don't allow dogs in their cars. And some will charge you extra cleaning fee if there's too much dog hair. Send hubby to get car while you wait with the dogs.

(I agree to take all the dogs at once if you can handle all those crates.)

To rent a car, drivers license and a credit car.

I've moved to 2 different states, I have only needed to take the written test, and nothing special to do to transfer my motorcycle endorsement.

Maybe you can rent a cargo van. You'll have to check with the rental office before you leave so they can have one there for you.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
180 is amazing. I am not sure if it is dollars or euros but even if it is in euros it is cheap. Others paid 200 bucks for a JRT so 180 for a Shepherd is really cheap.

We will check tomorrow if we'd pay the same for Indra if we take her too. I wanted to leave her in Germany to get her X-rays in January but I guess I can do that in the States to and take her with us.

Zenzy would be iffy and i don't want to take any chances with her so she will stay behind until we've settled in.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Yukon is really good off leash and he's good with females. He'll probably be shy at first but he's a very sweet, loving dog. :wub:Thank you so much for offering that. It really helps and we'll definitely pay for the food and pay you some dollars for watching him. Hopefully it won't be for long.
If you need me to take Yukon for a few days or a week or two, let me know. Is he good in a crate? He would need to be crated while I am at work since I have cats and Ronja (who is in the kennel while I am gone).

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Ugh... going through the whole drivers license test, again? :help::wild:
The written test is only 20 questions, I think, and several of them ask you about road signs. The driving test will require you to do a U-turn and parallel park, which are about the two hardest things on the test. :D

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you need me to take Yukon for a few days or a week or two, let me know. Is he good in a crate? He would need to be crated while I am at work since I have cats and Ronja (who is in the kennel while I am gone).
Yukon is good in crates, however, he is also good with cats. I will let you know if we need help. Thank you so much for the offer. :wub:

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The written test is only 20 questions, I think, and several of them ask you about road signs. The driving test will require you to do a U-turn and parallel park, which are about the two hardest things on the test. :D
oh...okay. That doesnt sound too hard then. I've always been great at parallel parking :D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i have no advice for you! i wish i did!!! I am thrilled though that there was a nationwide law passed recently regarding military dependents not having to change their driver license and vehicle plates over to the state their spouse gets stationed anymore. I never intended on changing my DL over from Colorado anyway so the fact its now a law makes that so much easier! I dont know how they handle out of country licenses though. I would suggest contacting the department of motor vehicles in the area you're going and asking them about it. Far as i can figure you should only have to pass the driving test (i never had to parallel park when i did mine cuz i suck at it). But i also havent had to take a drive test since i was 16. I'm now 23.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am actually not sure how it will all work for hubby. His drivers license is from Virginia but his home of record is in Ohio and we move to NY. So where do we go to get the car registered? Where will I have my home of record then? In NY?

So this is going to get interesting too. :help:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I am actually not sure how it will all work for hubby. His drivers license is from Virginia but his home of record is in Ohio and we move to NY. So where do we go to get the car registered? Where will I have my home of record then? In NY?

So this is going to get interesting too. :help:

If his driver's license is based in virginia i would guess the vehicles can be registered there as well. What is his home of record on his LES? If he wishes to, he can have his DL done in Ohio and you can register all the vehicles there. Honestly it should be pretty easy for you to get everything done as long as you have all the proper paperwork done beforehand which i'm guessing you already have taken care of. I wish i had more for you but i'm adament about not living overseas. I'm stressed enough with a move to a different state that i'm actually in charge of getting everything organized. I would need extensive therapy with a move overseas. keep us updated though! i'm curious to hear how everything goes and what you end up having to go through.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Now those are some good questions.

I would start by calling the Virginia DMV to see whether he can keep a Virginia driver's license or whether he would need to change his driver's license to either New York or his home of record, Ohio. (The reason I would call VA and not NY would be that VA doesn't have a stake in this either way, whereas NY may give you the, "Oh, you need to change everything to NY spiel." as they tried with us.)

In general, how it works for non-military people, is this - when you move to a new state, for work, school, or any other reason, you have 30 days to change your driver's license and also to apply for new plates for your vehicle. In most states, changing your driver's license coming from another state is as easy as turning your current one in and getting a new one.

In the military, you can keep a driver's license from your home of record. Now, my husband got his first license in California where he also finished high school and joined the military, but his home of record is Virginia. He has a VA license and our Jeep is registered in Virginia.

As of January 2010, spouses can also keep their driver's license and vehicle registration in another state, whereas previously they had to change once they moved to another state (just like any other civilian who moves to another state). I believe that you can declare your home of record - so if your hubby's is VA, as a military spouse, you could make VA your home of record. (Don't hold me to that, though - we moved here before that went into effect and I had to get a NY license. I will eventually change it to hubby's home of record (VA), just haven't yet.)

I don't know how it works if you come in from overseas. That may be a question for the DMV and/or JAG?

I've always been great at parallel parking :D
You won't need to be up here. :D I've never parallel parked in my life, except on the NY driving test.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
At least here airlines allow only two dogs per flight, for seminars or such with my team we use to split onto different fligts because of that. Ask first, maybe you can fly with two dogs and your husband with one if there is a problem.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Someone said this already but made a typo. Anyway, you need a credit card also to rent a car. And you have to be over the age of 25, which I assume you are. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts