German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hondo developed a bad habit of pouncing on the door when ever someone knocked. I'm talking about a full body slamming pounce, normally from a full run to the door, barking like a loon.

I have French doors in some areas of the house, a sliding glass window, as well as (nearly) floor to ceiling windows. I was really worried that Hondo would get caught up in the moment and pounce on a window or glass door. The result would be disasterous.

So we've been working very hard on redirecting his alarm meathod to just standing in the kitchen (that leads to the door where someone is knocking) and bark. Staying 'off' the door (all paws on the ground). As well as when to stop barking. Reward him for doing so...etc.

Last night I was on the computer when my neighbor came over and knocked on the door. The doxie ran to the door barking, but Hondo ran to me (I was sitting on a rolling computer chair) pounced on me.... barking at me! When he hit me I went sailing across the kitchen (still in the chair) and he came running after me barking like mad....gave me a personal view of what it looks like being attacked by a 92lb GSD!

Somewhere I went terribly wrong with that boy. I think I've taught my GSD how to attack me! Just one more thing I've messed up now and have to fix. Thank goodness Hondo is so forgiving. I just have to figure out the disconnect here.....

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Somewhere I went terribly wrong with that boy. I think I've taught my GSD how to attack me! Just one more thing I've messed up now and have to fix. Thank goodness Hondo is so forgiving. I just have to figure out the disconnect here.....
Hope you weren't hurt!

Isn't it weird how when we try to fix one problem we can create another one and not even realize we're doing it?

At least you got him off the door. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't hurt at all, just sailed across the kitchen. When working him at the door, I was standing in the kitchen with him and hubby would knock. I suppose he thought it wasn't the location I wanted him in (in the kitchen) but next to me.

It wouldn't be bad for him to come to me when someone knocks - but if someone else is in the house and someone knocks on the door...Hondo is going to give them a heart attack!

Weird thing is, Hondo never pounces. It just isn't his thing. Only when someone knocks on the door.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts