German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How am I supposed to get my 15 month old boy to like other dogs if every dog he meets is rude and misbehaved? We just took Major on his walk and some guy was letting his dog run loose in his yard while he mowed the lawn. Well of course when the dog saw Major he runs into the street and starts growling. My 12 year old had Major by the leash and I was pushing my son in the stroller. She quickly gave me the leash and I was able to keep my boy and the other dog apart by keeping walking. The other guy stands in the middle of the street with his hands on his hips giving his dog a "disapproving" look. I mean really? What an idiot!!

Keep your dogs on leashes people!

Major has had an unpleasant experience on a walk with another dog a few months before. Again it was some idiot who let their dog run wild.

I'm just steaming right now.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It is really amazing how stupid people can be able this sort of thing. They assume that they are the only dog in the area so it shouldnt be a problem. I yelled at a women the other day who was walking 2 dogs off leash. They were well behaved ie didnt run away etc but there is a leash law. They HAVE to be on a leash, and I told her so. Her dogs wouldnt stop barking at my Lulu and were just causing a racket. It was a mess.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So there is dog is loose while mowing the lawn......how brilliant.

I know what you mean by stupid people. By me, I have loose Chiwawa's running up to us.

Argggggggg!!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
With ya. I hate people who won't keep badly behaved dogs on a leash. I have in the past had to shoulder-charge grown retrievers off my younger smaller dog because the owner won't call them off. 'Oh, but he's only playing'. So what? It's not appropriate to let him jump all over my littlie.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My favorite line is: "You wouldn't want my GSD to do it, so why does your dog get to do it?"

The off-leash areas are slowly dwindling here, but just because it's an inconvenience to me doesn't mean I (knowingly) do it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when your dog encounters other dogs when you're out walking
use that time as a time to train and socialize. if your dog isn't
socialized start training and socializing.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
when your dog encounters other dogs when you're out walking
use that time as a time to train and socialize. if your dog isn't
socialized start training and socializing.
I don't want my dog socializing with other dogs. Too much potential liability and exposure to risk. People need to keep their dogs under control and I will do the same. If you let your dog run up on my dog, I will do my best to keep him from causing both of us very expensive vet bills, but I cannot guarantee it wont end bad. The best plan is to keep them from ever meeting.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Living remotely we don't have to put up with other dogs however we have just returned from a holiday where this subject came up.
We were picnicking at a beautiful dam......dogs were allowed but signs up saying "Must be leashed" We didn't have a dog with us but a 6 month old husky came running up to us and knocked my 14month old baby to the ground and proceeded to jump all over him. We didn't even see the dog run up until it was on top of our son. It was friendly and our son was laughing so the owner just stood there laughing....didn't even bother to come over. I took the dog by the collar and marched it back and told her to leash it.....she saw I was not happy and just turned and walk away and let the dog go again and this time it started harassing some older kids who were TERRIFIED.
She leashed it then........:mad:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah , I hate that. Pet peeve if you will. I have an English Mastiff that can be dog aggressive..only if other dogs get in her face and won't read her leave me alone cues. She will not snap if I keep on her constantly until the other dog is gone, but why should I be the one to make sure their unleashed out of their control dog stays safe ? It takes my attention off my children and that is NOT fair to me. Plus , if it does break bad it could be dangerous to my kids. I would have to just let them fight while I made sure my toddler , 5 year old , and 6 year old are safe.

I have her under my control and leashed, I know she is not to be trusted with other dogs. I'm being responsible yet I often have to discipline other people's dogs to keep them safe. Grrrr.

My other dog is solid off leash , never jumps , has no aggression issues ,has trustworthy recall ..to me that is the only time a dog should be off leash.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It's not just unleashed dogs.

I was out for a hike and my dog can be dog reactive. I had some guy walking a Dutch Shep start walking toward me asking if they could meet. I said I'd rather not, she's reactive, and he kept telling me it was ok, his dog was friendly. At this point my friend stepped in front of him to block him and said "Her dog is NOT" and he kept coming! Unbelievable! So my dog started to bark and hackles up, I then had to correct her, and then the guy hurried away like he was really surprised that my dog didn't like his dog. WTF?!

And I'm trying to keep taking my dog out and work on it with her, but help me out here people! When someone asks you to keep your dog away from their 70 lb GSD, please listen!! I was so mad, because until he let it get close, she was being really good about not reacting to it, and we'd had a nice walk passing other dogs so far, but then he pushed it too far and we had a problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also HATE when people allow their children to rush up to dogs. Mine are all trustworthy with children , but not all dogs are!

I mean , I have a 130 English Mastiff on a leash who at the VERY best has a look of apathy about her ( we are always joking saying " hey Greta , why the long face? lol) .This is not a friendly or inviting looking dog by any means. Though she is no danger to adults or children she absolutely looks like she could be.

aAnd yet , time and time again , children run up to her . One mother got really mad at ME because her two kids ran right up to her ..one hugged her and got a long string of Mastiff snot on her shirt and was then crying and upset. The mother was throwing me daggers. I told her her kids should be taught not to run up to strange dogs. When people ask if they can pet her , I always warn about the drool thing.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
This is why I don't go on "walks" ever. We do hikes at nature areas, etc. and will run into the occasional dog, or at the park. I don't have a problem with them being off leash if they're under control (as this is what I do) but if they charge me, I give no care who hears me cursing and I have kicked dogs off of mine before. I have been through reactivity because of stuff like this and I do NOT want to give either of my younger dogs a reason to become reactive or aggressive. They are trusting me to keep them safe and that's exactly what I do.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I also HATE when people allow their children to rush up to dogs.

YES!!! I had a couple of kids do this to my dog when she was a puppy and she was in a fear stage. She FLEW backwards on the leash, the one kid was squealing with glee and scared my poor dog so badly! She's better since then, but that really could have gone badly for the kid. I was standing a good distance away just letting her watch the kids playing, and this kid ran up from behind her. At least the mother apologized for her kid not meeting the dog properly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know dogs that have issues because kids were rough with them , and I know people who are afraid of dogs because of a bite when they were little.

We as adults are responsible for how our kids and our dogs are taught and how they act. Wish more people realized that!

My one son as a toddler was not good with dogs yet. He was not allowed to be near them until he was. Now he loves dogs and they love him. Would not have gone that way if I had merely watched and " oh , look how good Fido is with kids" as a 3 year boy treats her roughly.

People who do ask " is your dog good with kids?" always get the same reply from me - " are your kids good with dogs?"

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
This happened to me yesterday when a Labradoodle ran up to us. I happened to have a ball so I threw it for the dog to go get and it actually worked. I have one dog that doesn't respond well to strange dogs running up because they always try to sniff her in the face which sets her off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also HATE when people allow their children to rush up to dogs. Mine are all trustworthy with children , but not all dogs are!

I mean , I have a 130 English Mastiff on a leash who at the VERY best has a look of apathy about her ( we are always joking saying " hey Greta , why the long face? lol) .This is not a friendly or inviting looking dog by any means. Though she is no danger to adults or children she absolutely looks like she could be.

aAnd yet , time and time again , children run up to her . One mother got really mad at ME because her two kids ran right up to her ..one hugged her and got a long string of Mastiff snot on her shirt and was then crying and upset. The mother was throwing me daggers. I told her her kids should be taught not to run up to strange dogs. When people ask if they can pet her , I always warn about the drool thing.
I'm so with you. I also hate people who allow their children, usually boys who they refuse to discipline because 'boys will be boys', to freaking THREATEN my dog and try and provoke her. My next door neighbour's child is a brat. I've told him multiple times not to whirl a stick around and yell at her because she was abused as a puppy and sticks are a fear/rage trigger (you know how a fearful dog will sometimes go into hunterkiller mode rather than run away? This). He still does it. Then his parents get annoyed and sulky with me for POLITELY scolding the child. I said to him 'No, stop it, you mustn't do that, you're frightening her'. I didn't even raise my voice.

Aaaaaand my sister is bringing her brat over next month too. He is a huge, strong, grossly antisocial 5 year old child. I don't know his height or weight but he is large enough to shove grown women around and does things like push them into the paths of cars if annoyed. He has been known to hit their small dog over the head with a stick, even if ordered not to. I will not be allowing him to have contact with her for any reason, no matter how inconvenient it is. He loves to annoy me, will do the opposite of what he is asked, and would probably find it highly amusing to extend his whacking-with-sticks behaviour to my lovely malinoid. NOT looking forward.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I so hate this. That is what leash laws are for. I do not want my dog to meet yours. just based on the fact you are a bad owner for walking your dog loose down the street. putting your dog and other people and their dogs at risk. Also putting your dog at risk from being hit by a car. Some of these dogs are very little and you do not know what a big dog might do. I also don't want your big dog running up on my grandchildren. People with no brains just stay away from me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sadly, I normally don't even get the "he's friendly!" response when I asked people to leash their dogs or keep them away. In my neighborhood people seem quite fond of turning their backs and flipping the bird.

But yeah, extreeeemely irritating. Some of my dogs have gotten to the point where they get tense just seeing a dog off leash away from the owner because they expect it to run up and act rudely. (They normally charge us barking as if we were on their property)

Another thing that annoys me too, is even in stores with a Service Dog in a harness that clearly states such, people STILL let their kids run up screaming. And people bring their pets up to him too. I've had a gal come running across Target with her dog saying "She's a service dog too!" with obvious intent to greet. I rounded a corner quickly and kicked it into turbo gear. LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
This drives me insane too! We're working on desensitizing our 10 month GSD to people and other dogs (she's not aggressive, she just gets overly excited). Last week on a hike, a woman had two of her dogs off leash on a trail. They were WAY ahead of her and ran straight and at full force towards Shelby. As I'm trying to get Shelby's attention to focus on me, she yells "if they get hurt, it's my fault!". I didn't even know what to say to that. First of all, who thinks like that?? Second of all, does she think that would make me feel better if in fact one of the dogs was hurt?? CRAZY!! If one of her dogs was hurt and my dog was hurt, just because she takes responsibility wouldn't change how horrible it would be.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 51 Posts