German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The difference between our nice, representable frontyard and the "could be nice" DOG Backyard...

Frontyard:

Back (Dog) Yard:

Indra

One just isn't enough

Better fall asleep with it in my mouth so no one can steal it from me

The three girls playing with each other. Indra under a licking attack ;)

MaDeuce cuddling and snuggling with me

Gizmo's life is sooooo hard

My husband with the Boxer Puppy

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Nice property, nonetheless! And the dogs look so happy. What's a little dirt out back?

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Good for you to give the yard to the dogs. What are their genders? Would like to know. It is amazing the way they interact with each other. Are they always together?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good for you to give the yard to the dogs. What are their genders? Would like to know. It is amazing the way they interact with each other. Are they always together?
Yeah, mine are basically never separated except when I leave the house.
Personally I have 3 females (2 intact and 1 spayed), 1 intact male and 1 Foster dog that was just neutered yesterday and is coming back within the next couple of days.

So I've got 3 GSD's and 1 Malinois of my own, one Foster GSD and the rest is Boarding dogs. The black and white dog is a regular Boarder that comes every weekend. The Boxer pups I had for 1 week to start them on basic obedience.

As for boarding dogs, I pretty much take any large breed, intact or not, I don't care as long as females are not in heat.

As long as everybody follows certain rules we don't have any fights, whatsoever. The most important rule is not to actively play with the packs. There can be toy out there but you can't pick it up and play fetch with the dogs. That is when one female starts going after the others. That is the most important rule in the house.
As long as everybody follows that rule, there is peace in the pack :)

The most interesting thing is that my pack works especially well for nervy, timid and shy dogs. Give those dogs two days and you won't recognize them. While they have a lot of freedom, they also have structure but without any expectations. They are allowed to be dogs.

·
Banned
377 Posts
We gave up our backyard to our last dog. When she died we attempted to resurrect the lawn with some success. Then along came this dog. We don't give her the run of the yard as much. More often than not, it's a choice between having a dog and having a yard. I'm talking real dogs here, not toys or minis.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why the Frontyard is basically ours. The dogs are allowed to play on it, but they are not allowed to destroy it. :)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Looks perfect to me!! :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Two words.
Playground Mulch. Lasts a long time. Dries quickly.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what I want, eventually. Right now, we can't afford it, though.

That or, what I'd love to, to extend the patio and landscape it better than it is.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
That particular product has done very well for us.

Product Details : | Greenville, Spartanburg, Boiling Springs, SC | Southern Mulch

We went about 6 inches deep with it about 18 months ago and it has not broken down like the shredded mulch has in the same amount of time. It also dries very fast and the dirt underneath it is still solid and keeps the mud out.

Even so I am saving up to brick around the deck and keeping the "running path" mulched. We have been told it would cost us around $5000 to concrete around our deck ...... about 1000 SF Eeeeek. Because of our terrain they would have to bring a pumper truck. just as cheap to do those concrete blocks or that gravel fixative stuff but that is not for running on.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I feel you! We have a 'dog yard' also for our 4 which looks pretty much the same as yours, dirt and holes where they dig. :) Except we live in the desert and ground is very dry so they kick up giant dust clouds when they play!

I also hope to do playground mulch eventually though can't afford it right now either but it's the first thing I'm going to do when I have money to spare.

Untitled (2013-05-10 21:33:43) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Dust cloud

IMG_9067 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
Playground mulch? This would solve my dirt/mud problem. It's raining right now, and I just want to scream.

I assume I need to wait until after the puppy is past the "pick up everything and put it in my mouth" stage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts