German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,001 Posts
no one with a nice male would bother breeding to an unpapered bitch.
This is unfortunately not always the case. Many people will get a nice male and use him to pump up the appearance of the breeding, but use sub-par females (or vice versa). If the same breeder ownes both sire and dam nothing is to keep them from breeding the two.

· Registered
9,340 Posts
I grew up on a cattle ranch and the border collie/heeler/whatever mixes that we had were not papered or titled, but those dogs were fabulous at herding cattle. They were really an indespensible part of the operation and they were selectively bred to other ranchers' dogs. Puppies nearly always had working homes waiting on them before they were weaned. I think in a time and place like that, breeding unpapered dogs can be justified, but even in that situation you knew who had what dog's brother, sister, and mother and if they had any problems.

· Registered
12,395 Posts
No, I would not breed the unregistered dog. However, I would capitalize on the experiance I gained on getting the dog titled (etc.) and invest in a well bred, registered dog and attempt to accomplish the same thing. Sometimes it's not the destination, but it's all about the journey.

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
YES! Whiteshepherds hit the nail on the head. White got what I was trying to say. Personaly I would buy a pup from such a female if she existed. And try to do everything with it that the mother acomplished. Expsally if dad was just as good. And to the person who said why waste time and money to title a unregisted dog. IF my girl had the temp (she dont)I would try and tital her in ShcH and Herding. But she would be SPAYED first tho the point in titaling such a dog is it would be a fun and great bonding experance for owner and dog. And heath testing is to make sure the dog is healty weather or not the dog comepats or not healt testing SHOULD be done. And thank you for over looking my spelling makes me feel better. :blush:

· Registered
6,862 Posts
I wouldn't unless the breeder had a darn good reason to. I have been asked 2 times by the same dude to breed Molly(who is not papered, titled, or even of the breed standard) to his male(I don't know if he is papered, titled or to the breed standard). I have seen the dog, he is no doubt a beautiful Long Haired Bi-Colored GSD, but breeding is not my cup of tea.

Never bought from a breeder, but when I do I am going to be very picky.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.