German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,001 Posts
The issue is that you don't know the history of mom. It doesn't matter how nice ONE dog is. What matters is the history of the line.

This, we found out after the fact, was the case with the sire/dam of our dear Kodi.

A nice sire was bred to a crappy dam with no history, and produced a gorgous wonderful temperment dog with what turned out to be life ending disabilities.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
I chose the dog not to have papers because one even with being 100% perfect as you said you don't know the back ground. And because if she was papered there would have been more yeses. And I wanted to create a desusin. I orignaly wanted to use a rescue as a example but most rescues regire spay and that would defeat the descuion. :)
Many rural shelters do not alter prior to placement, and at best have a "spay neuter contract" one must sign to adopt. They typically do not have the manpower to follow up on these, nor is it worth the paper it's printed on since they can breed the dog the minute they take it home.

I've pulled many dogs over the years from small rural shelters (for foster and placement) and although I of course altered all the dogs, not a single person ever followed up on them (as to be expected, how can they really be expected to follow up on all those dogs when they already have their plates full).

· Registered
4,001 Posts
no one with a nice male would bother breeding to an unpapered bitch.
This is unfortunately not always the case. Many people will get a nice male and use him to pump up the appearance of the breeding, but use sub-par females (or vice versa). If the same breeder ownes both sire and dam nothing is to keep them from breeding the two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.