German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have plenty of wildlife around us and especially skunks gets them all riled up. Yesterday, it was already dark around 8.00 PM I guess, they jumped up and barking franticly. To me that sounded unreasonable for some animal around the house. So I raced after them, took them back and put them on a down stay, merely as a reflex because they had startled me.
We resumed watching our movie and when it was bedtime and we checked the doors etc, we found some packages delivered in the garage by the inside door. Evidently we had forgotten to close the garage door and the delivery person had entered and brought them all the way inside. So the dogs were reacting so well as it could have been an intruder. I felt terribly guilty. Lesson learned; always check out why they bark. Now, when they bark, I go look, determine it is OK and then they are content. Sorry dogs! This has been my biggest blooper ever since having dogs.
I can't believe that delivery personnel takes this risk. So easy to get shot.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Good dogs! I'm sure they forgive you! A good reminder to all of us to trust our dogs!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Dogs forget in a heartbeat and don't hold grudges....but I ALWAYS investigate when Rogan barks, he's ALWAYS right.
They see and hear stuff we don't too

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have plenty of wildlife around us and especially skunks gets them all riled up. Yesterday, it was already dark around 8.00 PM I guess, they jumped up and barking franticly. To me that sounded unreasonable for some animal around the house. So I raced after them, took them back and put them on a down stay, merely as a reflex because they had startled me.
We resumed watching our movie and when it was bedtime and we checked the doors etc, we found some packages delivered in the garage by the inside door. Evidently we had forgotten to close the garage door and the delivery person had entered and brought them all the way inside. So the dogs were reacting so well as it could have been an intruder. I felt terribly guilty. Lesson learned; always check out why they bark. Now, when they bark, I go look, determine it is OK and then they are content. Sorry dogs! This has been my biggest blooper ever since having dogs.
I can't believe that delivery personnel takes this risk. So easy to get shot.
I always feel bad that my dog goes crazy when a delivery person comes to our house, but on the flip side, I would want him reacting that way if there's someone around that SHOULDN'T be at our house. He'll stop if I tell him to thankfully so I can answer the door if I need to. I've actually had a delivery person put a "could not deliver" slip on our mailbox that just said "DOG" on it. I have to imagine a lot are uncomfortable or have run into situations where they've been scared/hurt by a dog. We never let Tank outside by himself so if a delivery person does come, we can hang onto him until they're gone so he must've been barking through the window/door when we weren't home and the delivery guy was uncomfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts