German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killian is 5 months old and we are not going to neuter him, we plan to stud him once he gets old enough and get everything in order. I am wondering, when do we expect him to get "randy"?? Unfortunately we have this dog aggressive shar pei next door who is a "breeding female" by their words(I highly doubt since she hasn't ever been bred nor can she even come near another dog without trying to bite their face off). But since she isn't spayed and they don't have a fenced in back yard and they let their female run free in the yard to go potty. When should we expect Killian to start getting interested in a female in heat? We have a double pane privacy fence, six foot high, so there is no escape for him.... I'm just curious because we've never had a male dog that hasn't been fixed before. Any ideas on when males become interested??

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
What makes your dog breedworthy to use as a stud? I see he is gorgeous, are you planning on working him in any venues?
If he wants to get to the in heat female next door, he'll find a way...keep him in your vision at all times. Hopefully she won't be able to escape either!
My 21 month old shows no signs of "randyness" but there are not any females in heat around him.
Next week at training there will be one who is in heat, he usually doesn't act crazy when there are ones at club in heat, he'll smell where they've been and thats about it. Now that he is maturing, I'll see how he acts when he scents her(we'll be training inside vs outside)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I live in an apartment building and there are two (that I know of anyways) females who are not spayed.

He is 20 months old and will usually whine, pace and ask to go outside a lot. He will also try to lick where they pottied or try to keep going back to the spot where they had been.

Please keep your boy under your constant supervision.

If you plan to breed, make sure you get your dog x-ray'd for hips/elbows, work him in some venue to prove sound nerve and temperament and ensure that you are doing so to better to the breed.

What does your dog have that no one else has that can bring something positive to the breed itself? Not looking for an answer, just giving you some things to think about.

Stark has an excellent temperament, sound nerve, is being worked, has his prelims done (too young for officals yet) and is one amazing boy... BUT... he is definitely NOT breed worthy which is why even though he will remain intact for health reasons, he will NOT be bred. If I couldn't ensure that then he would be neutered. JMO.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input, we've given everything you've said lots of thought already before we even brought Killian into our family. Were not backyard breeders and won't be. Killian has a great pedigree and if he is deemed fit to be a stud, we will use the breeder that we got him from and go that route. I am just wanting to make sure we don't have any "oops" puppies. He is never out of our sight, we even go out with him when they go potty. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'll be following this thread with interest. Not planning on breeding, but I don't plan to neuter my Future Puppy until he's 2.

·
2,967 Posts
Depends on the dog. Some seem to have more tolerance for a female in heat than others. We have our girl in heat in the house with the 4 intact boys. We make all of them work/obey through her being in heat (I will put my males into a long down and make them hold it while she heels and works around them)- but no one goes off their food, whines incessantly, breaks out of their crates, or any of the other horror stories, although I imagine they must be true for some people. My dogs usually start showing increased interest in the smell of the female's urine around 12 months. And they are usually the ones who'll let us know when she's getting ready to go into heat. They'll start going around and licking her pee spots...we usually need to have her go out last because otherwise all they do it smell pee...but it's really nothing extreme. I've never had a dog lose his mind just because a female was in heat in the neighborhood.

If she's loose, in heat, and over by your fence you should notice an increased interest on that section of the fence. If you know what your dog's normal behavior looks like, you will notice when it changes and adjust accordingly. You should Never leave him unattended because a determined athletic GSD can clear a 6ft fence. I really think you won't have any problem.

Did you see this thread? Some good info on recognizing if your dog becomes too interested...
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/147547-unaltered-10-month-old-ok-play.html

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow, thank you so much!! That was exactly what I was looking for!! I will be sure to keep an eye out in the near future!!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thanks for your input, we've given everything you've said lots of thought already before we even brought Killian into our family. Were not backyard breeders and won't be. Killian has a great pedigree and if he is deemed fit to be a stud, we will use the breeder that we got him from and go that route. I am just wanting to make sure we don't have any "oops" puppies. He is never out of our sight, we even go out with him when they go potty. Thanks again!
Regardless of his pedigree and what breeder you "use", you do realize you need to do a bunch of health tests and showing in some venue, right?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My male lab is 8 and showed interest in females in heat around 10 months. He is the dog that will go off feed, clear a fence, bust out of a crate, and whine day and night for about 2 weeks so beware it is no fun when that time comes,lol. We don't neuter males for health reasons, but he hasn't and never will be bred. Our female Zoe is 13 months and has had one heat....she will be spayed after the New Year so we can all sleep. Maybe you could explain your situation to your neighbor and try to work something out so their female does not make her way into your yard- believe it or not even the meanest female becomes receptive that second week of heat so she may want his attention as much as he will want her's;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with JK (and others) some are more determined than others. I kept an intact male until he was almost 3. At dog shows and such, if he was around any females that were in heat, or coming into heat, he'd be drooling, teeth chattering, he was kinda pathetic:)) and yes whiney, and definately wanting to get to 'whomever'.

I must say, even tho you've got a good fenced yard, this won't stop a determined male. And that female shar pei just may come looking for it.

I find it easier (less messy) to keep an intact male than an intact female, tho obviously both can be done.

And males & females can breed EARLY, don't think cause they or he, is around 5-6 months old he can't reproduce, they can:)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regardless of his pedigree and what breeder you "use", you do realize you need to do a bunch of health tests and showing in some venue, right?
Yes, we are very aware of what tests he needs and scores he needs to qualify to stud. Thanks. Were keeping our options open and hoping he grows up to benefit the breed and if he can't. He will not procreate. Plain and simple. :)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yes, we are very aware of what tests he needs and scores he needs to qualify to stud. Thanks. Were keeping our options open and hoping he grows up to benefit the breed and if he can't. He will not procreate. Plain and simple. :)
Cool. Good to hear. :D

Uh, just because you didn't elaborate... I don't mean to play 20 questions with you, but you know that he needs more than just health clearances, correct? You need to show and title him as well.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, were very excited to title him. He is actually going to compete in schutzhund if it works out. We have high hopes for this guy and want to give him every opportunity possible!! No problem with 20q's! I can answer what I know and if I don't know the answer, it will give me more stuff to learn!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Cool. Good to hear. :D

Uh, just because you didn't elaborate... I don't mean to play 20 questions with you, but you know that he needs more than just health clearances, correct? You need to show and title him as well.
Why do you feel so strongly about that? It doesn't make any difference to the vast majority of dog owners.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yes, were very excited to title him. He is actually going to compete in schutzhund if it works out. We have high hopes for this guy and want to give him every opportunity possible!! No problem with 20q's! I can answer what I know and if I don't know the answer, it will give me more stuff to learn!
Awesome! Just wanted to make sure you weren't being led astray by a breeder or anything since I don't know you or the knowledge you posess very well yet. ;)

Can't wait to hear how he does in Schutzhund. I'd love to show a GSD in it, I'm sure it will be very exciting!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When Hondo was around 13 months old, he would teeth chatter, drool and mark the game trail in the back of our pasture. We put out our game cam which took a picture of the coyote below. He only showed interest when he was on the trail and showed no difference in behavior otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey

Awesome! Just wanted to make sure you weren't being led astray by a breeder or anything since I don't know you or the knowledge you posess very well yet. ;)

Can't wait to hear how he does in Schutzhund. I'd love to show a GSD in it, I'm sure it will be very exciting!
You don't "show" in Schutzhund, you trial the dog, big difference...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What an awesome photo! Its great to hear all the different types of behavior we CAN experience with him. Since we've kept all our other pets fixed there are a few things I'm not TOO knowledgeable on that has to do with unfixed pets. Thanks everybody for your experiences with your boys!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I dont' really have anything to add to this conversation, but I just want to say that your dog is GORGEOUS!!!!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey

You don't "show" in Schutzhund, you trial the dog, big difference...
I "show" my dogs in obedience and rally. They are Rally and Obedience trials. No big difference at all. You can say either.

When we go to the restaurant afterwards I always ask the waiter/waitress to put me near the window where my car is parked because I have "show dogs" in it.

I get what you are doing, but it isn't what was asked.

Sounds like the OP is just asking a simple question about keeping his dog safely away from the bitch next door.

I would not let him in the back yard alone. He might dig out or climb over a fence if she is in heat. But if you go out with him, you will know in plenty of time to ensure nothing happens.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts