German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I thought I had forgotten to latch the bottom latch on Lisl's crate before leaving for work. She got out but she behaved herself. I was very proud of her even though I don't know hpw long she was out.

Any length of time alone for a puppies first time alone in the house uncrated is enough time for disaster.

Well, last night I came home from work and I find the bottom latch open again. This time she stayed in the crate even though she could have wriggled out if she really wanted to.

This morning I latched it and then locked it with a carbiner.

I can't hardly believe she's figured out to open this latch. It's a typical crate latch that has to be lifted or rotated, and then moved to the left to disengage the wire loop on the stationary part of the crate.

I knew this dog was smarter than any other GSD I've owned.

Once is a fluke, but twice within a week? She's paying very close attention when I latch the gate.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Smokey does the same thing. He used to watch me latch and unlatch it. Never thought he'd learn how to do it himself c:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
LoL...I have the opposite problem. If I forget to lock one of the latches, Finn will whimper and paw at it until I lock it. It's kind of cute.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never in a million years would I ever have imagined a dog would be smart enough to work this type of latch.

Next thing I know she'll be unlocking the storm door and letting herself out to potty.

I need to get a security camera that uploads to a server I can access from my phone or my laptop.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
LOL! My parents had a lab/beagle/blue heeler mix who constantly broke out of her crate. They ended up having to use two padlocks and a handful of heavy duty zip ties each time they wanted to leave. We'd come home to a living room full of torn books, kleenex, towels, etc

·
Registered
474 Posts
We can not leave the house with out zip tying the bottom part of Gunner's kennel because he too with find a way to get out. I don't mind having him out when we aren't home, but the BF does not want him up on the furniture.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll have to start doing that too. Guess who was waiting at the back door for me this afternoon?

I must not have secured the carbiner correctly on the latch because she opened it and got out anyway.

She had diarrhea this morning so I didn't feed her but a small handful but I let her drink some. She went upstairs to the guest bathroom and pooped in there on the hardwood floor.

At least she got the right room.

Again, just like Sunday, nothing in the house was touched. She left everything alone except her toys. I think she was sleeping a lot of the time on my bed because the bedspread looked like it had been slept on as I make the bed every morning.

Except for the poop which she couldn't help, good girl.

She still had the squirts when I got home, but waited until we were outside.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
If you come home and find that she has pooped in the toilet, I will be super impressed! :wild:

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
We have Ranger in a jumbo plastic crate. He has figured out how to open it somehow. Started on Monday, I came home to a rabbit with its ear torn off (stuffed animal). We thought it was a fluke and one of the bars wasn't fully seated, but he was out again on Tuesday, this time he chewed the the ball on top of the bed post. So Wednesday morning DD pushed the crate up against the night stand and he didn't escape, but he managed to "disassemble" the bars and box that houses the springs on the latch. I got the latch back together and he left it alone on Thursday, but sliding an 80# pup and crate isn't ideal. Gonna have to find a better way to secure it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the diarrhea has passed. She hasn't gone since around seven this evening. I gave her 6cc's of Pepto-Bismol at 1700 and then again at 1830.

She's been resting most of the evening and she ate about two cups at around 1900 and drank some.

We were sharing some Ritz crackers with herb and garlic Laughing Cow cheese spread last night. I didn't realize a cream cheese would give her the trots like that. No more cream cheese for Lisl. :(

I'm going to zip-tie that crate door shut in about eight locations tomorrow. Unless she can work a pair of wire cutters I expect to find her in her crate when I get home from work tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
I hope she can't chew and swallow the zip ties. :eek:
Yeah, any kind of dairy, including yogurt, causes such problems that it's not worth the enjoyment Hans gets.
Then again, it could've also been the crackers. The fat in them could've triggered it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just happy she picked the bathroom with the hardwood floors. What a mess. I was scraping it up with a putty knife and then scrubbed the floor with water/bleach mix.

She only went once but she left a trail all the way across the room.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Maybe she is ready to be out of the crate? I mean if she isn't doing any damage minus the poo poo, then why not try it? You can leave the crate up and she can still go in there if she wants. The way I see it, its like a baby. When the baby is starting to figure out how to get out of the crib, its time for a regular bed. It is safer then them hurting themselves getting out. I hope she is feeling better, you have to give her credit for going where she went...She was probably thinking, okay what do I do now?:)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I just bought this 48" for her. I'll have to make it work.

She WILL be in that crate when I get home tonight.

If I could get away at regular intervals to check on her I would probably try leaving her out. I just don't quite trust her yet and she's getting ahead of the schedule I had planned on using to ease her out of the crate permanently while I'm not there.

Maybe she is ready, but I'm not there yet.

The diarrhea is done. It was solid this morning, and now I know better the next time. Lesson learned.

Thanks for asking about her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts