German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently (03/13/13) picked up my second GSD. Mikós is 8 weeks old and is a crying mess. He picked me to be his furever mommy. As I was looking at the three, he walked to me, sat behind me, pawed at my leg, and made puppy noises. That was it for me!

Once at home he follows me all over, but when he isn't practically on me, he cries and screams. Loudly as if he is in pain. When I walk outside for something minor, he freaks out. Forget what happens when I have to leave for work. My poor 4 year old GSD female gets scared, grabs her stuffed animal, and hides. This is new to her too. Se wants to play, but her way of playing scares the little guy.

I really hope this is just his way of adjusting to the new home and not his thing to do all the time. It has been over 13 years since I have had a little puppy. I received my female GSD at 5 months. So I cannot remember.

If anyone has any advice that would be great. Also do you all think my older GSD will come around and help by calming her little brother down?

·
Registered
234 Posts
You know, Jaeger was a crybaby, too, and he was so good at it that he is the first dog we have ever given up on crate training as a pup. We just put him on the bed between us, lol, so we could get some sleep. But gradually he got used to not having his littermates and parents around all the time and it got better. Eventually he noticed that our alpha female sleeps BESIDE the bed and decided he should do that. Eventually he decided that it's okay to sleep in the kennel sometimes. Eventually he decided that sometimes he can entertain himself in another room for a little while as long as he knows where I am. He is VERY affectionate and connected, but he isn't freaky about it.

He is over nine months old now and, while he is a vocal guy, he isn't a big crybaby anymore. Just a manipulative charmer . . .:wub: SO I don't think it is too much to worry about, though I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Your heart was in the right place, however, the dog demonstrated insecure and needy behavior from the get-go.

I have no experience with needy dogs, but I am sure you can get a lot of help here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My new girl is more vocal than any of my past experience ... The first week I kept checking w the breeder...it almost sounded like she was in pain... But its just her way. Now on week 2.5 with me things have settled down... She still talks alot when excited but she is quiet in crate at night and in normal activities now.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Once at home he follows me all over, but when he isn't practically on me, he cries and screams. Loudly as if he is in pain. When I walk outside for something minor, he freaks out. Forget what happens when I have to leave for work. My poor 4 year old GSD female gets scared, grabs her stuffed animal, and hides. This is new to her too. Se wants to play, but her way of playing scares the little guy.
More separation on days you are home and have time. Try crating him or putting him in an exercise pen while you are home, make it fun, walk away for awhile, release him after he's quiet. Work up to leaving the room for 1 -2 minutes, then 5, 10, an hour, etc. He needs to learn that he can be away from you without freaking out. IF he needs to be touching you, you may not even leave the room at first, stick him in a crate, take one step back, if he's quiet let him out, then work on turning your back while in the same room, then leaving

I agree that his initial behavior sounded like that of an insecure dog. Whatever you do if he cries and howls for you do not look at him, walk over, or give him attention. He will learn to do it more. If he has any special treats that he really likes give them to him only while you are separated from him. I'd play with your other dog the way your other dog likes to play and ignore your puppy if he's acting scared. Hopefully he will see how much fun you two are having and realize that there is nothing to be afraid of

You've only had him 2 days, so it's pretty normal, but it can quickly become a problem. GOod luck, also, post pics! :)

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Yes, the treatment for separation anxiety is more separation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It took Max 2 weeks to settle down- he was very depressed and needy. Give your pup a few days to get used to his new environment and he/she should calm the crying. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is doing much better! Still follows me around and cries, but not as bad. I am slowly working on crate training. I attempted a baby gate and he climbs right over and looks at me with pride. Should have named him Houdini!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've learned that with the baby gate, you can't keep it traditionally all the way on the floor or they will jump or climb over it. I keep mine off the ground enough where maybe only his nose can poke under but high enough he can't get enough traction on the hardwood to jump it. Good luck and keep up with the training. The baby gate method has worked for me :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a cry baby too! He cried and whimpered. Got him at 9 weeks of age on 2/13/2013.
He traveled 10 hours via airplane so I kinda figured he was scared to death too.
Took him awhile but he quit bein a cry baby and became less insecure.
Give your baby lots of love.
I also asked my breeder what was wrong with him because he was cryin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts