German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please move this post if it in not in the correct location -----

This person posted their GSD for stud service ---- I am not the most informed and educated about breed standard but I have learned enough from this forum to know that this person has no business trying to stud this dog ----- I dont think that this dog is
titled in any way and by the age I am pretty sure that it is not Hip/Elbow certified ----- I have read so many stories on here about suffering dogs and owners that I wish there was something that could be done to stop this ---- I am going to try to post the link to the ad -- not sure if it will work but here it goes ---

http://houston.kijiji.com/c-Pets-Dogs-pu...QQAdIdZ48996308

Ok... I feel much better......

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yep, I hate seeing it do given that I have rescued two GSD's who both have genetic related disorders. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote: German Shepherd Stud service, It has all the papers, all shoots. he is 16 months old. 100% German Shepherd. Is beautiful, Black with white silver. Excellent temperament with my son 4 years old. Please look at the pictures for more information. Send me an email if your are interested for a stud service. I am Asking 500.00.
16 months AND he has all SHOOTS!!! He is easily worth $1,000 per squirt!!!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Mmm, my female has an excellent temperament with my 4 year old son. She has all her shots and is OFAd (there's 2 Fs in her number...)

Oh wait, I had her spayed because she is psycho. Shucks darn and all that other stuff.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Something like this happened to myself and husband while we were shopping. We had Royal our gsd in the truck,someone left a note on the windshield saying that she was a good looking dog and if she was a female they would like to breed her with their gsd.
Not know that her hips were shot
and she was spayed STUPID STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yup, I had Annabelle (Hip Dysplasia) and Maiya (Megaesophagus) out in the front yard the other day and got asked by my neighbors if we were going to breed them with one another and have puppies anytime soon so that they could buy one.

So say we forget about the fact that each carry genetic problems, each have pretty big personality defects, Maiya is psychotic, Annabelle has weak nerves, etc. etc.

However, we can't forget that they are both females. So in short, "no we will not be having puppies anytime soon".

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: mamagooseYup, I had Annabelle (Hip Dysplasia) and Maiya (Megaesophagus) out in the front yard the other day and got asked by my neighbors if we were going to breed them with one another and have puppies anytime soon so that they could buy one.

So say we forget about the fact that each carry genetic problems, each have pretty big personality defects, Maiya is psychotic, Annabelle has weak nerves, etc. etc.

However, we can't forget that they are both females. So in short, "no we will not be having puppies anytime soon".
Oh now I get it. You can't breed them because they are both FEMALE. Now I understand.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I am always so delighted to see the sense of humor you guys have even when the situation is totally wrong. I have always found that humor has gotten me through the worst of my trials and tribulations and when y'all make me laugh at my own errors and mistakes, I can laugh at myself and move forward. But you make me double over with laughter sometimes.

But what is it that can be done about someone who sees the above ad? Is there anything you knowledgeable GSD owners can say that would help? I'll grant you, the dog LOOKS beautiful but what kind of questions does one who might be interested in breeding their female with this dog need to ask. Who knows, they may be reading these posts hoping to get that kind of information and help.

I think for anyone reading this thread, especially the potential new owner of a sweet little female they want to breed, it would help to know what questions should be asked of the owner of the "stud" dog.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When we lived in the lower 48 we had quite a few people ask us if we were going to breed Shilo, because they wanted a buy a pup from us. I just can't believe someone would stop a stranger and ask them that with out checking anything out before hand!!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I would not worry about it. People who are willing to spend $500 on a stud fee are going to look for more than that in the stud.

You cannot save them all. You cannot stop every fool from breeding his "Full-blooded German Shepard."

This youngster will not die from being bred at sixteen months old. Just because he hasn't had his hips ofa'd yet, doesn't mean he for sure has hip dysplasia.

In any case, this owner is going to have to come way down in price before someone calls on him.

It is not worth losing sleep over. That is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
"IT has all the papers"?? Nice. Real nice.
Look at the pictures for more information, eh? Sure, he's a pretty boy. What else could I possibly need to know?

God, I hate to see this.
No, there's no guarantee that this dog has HD (or any other possible genetic condition) but I think the odds are pretty good. He couldn't have come from a very responsible breeder, so who knows what they'll get with this guy, if anyone takes them up on it.

I'm the first to admit that I know just enough about breeding to know that I know absolutely nothing about breeding. Which is why I don't do it.
In the eight months that we've had Riley (our Golden) I've had at least half a dozen people ask me if I'm going to breed him, because he's "so big" and "so beautiful." It always surprises me. Especially since one of them was a vet! And she asked me this AFTER I mentioned that I had serious concerns about his hips because he's so oversized and because neither of his parents had clearances. So yeah, I'm going to breed him. Great idea!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I asked for titles, pedigree, OFA, and stacked photos. She replied with a couple of casual photos showing various faults, and the dog holding a frisbee. Probably a nice pet, but...I agree with Selzer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts