German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the people that advised against doing a co-own arrangement with the female Viernheimi Ranie that I asked about her pedigree....YOU WERE RIGHT! This co-own arrangement is null and void as of 5pm tomorrow afternoon. After a falling out between the "breeder" and I over her offering me her male that she had and then only finding out that he had fertility problems and she had lied to me about other things, as well as, Ranie having nerve problems around my fiance'....well let's just say that I don't appreciate being lied to so the arrangement is coming to a screeching halt tomorrow afternoon. Don't get me wrong; Ranie is a wonderful female for a lady only. But, she is way too nervy around men and makes me wonder how she even earned that UKC championship title if she was judged by any man. So, I am looking at possibly purchasing a really nice sable working line male to start out with some personal protection ventures that I'd like to learn in. I have also been talking with a trainer that is about an hour away about taking a pup to him for training if I do get one. Let's just say that I will forever be checking the reliability of my sources from now on and not being so quick to trust. I should have known and should have followed the advice of more knowledgeable people here, but I trusted someone that I obviously should not've. Forgive me for the rant, just figured I would let the smart ones know that they were right and people should definitely be following their advice. :cool:

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
she probably saw you coming from a mile away...Glad you could null and void your contract.
Hope your next experience with a mentor is much better....experience is what it takes sometimes to learn...sorry yours was a negative one! Hope Ranie can find her forever place.
And I also wish you luck with the sable male!! Love my sable boy :wub:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she probably saw you coming from a mile away...Glad you could null and void your contract.
Hope your next experience with a mentor is much better....experience is what it takes sometimes to learn...sorry yours was a negative one! Hope Ranie can find her forever place.
And I also wish you luck with the sable male!! Love my sable boy :wub:
Thank you. It's nothing definite with him yet, but I am going to look at him tomorrow and spend some time with the litter and then if I like him put down a deposit on him. The litter is only 6 weeks Thursday so not quite ready to leave momma yet. At least she isn't letting the babies go at 6 weeks like a lot of breeders around here have done. I also have asked to see copies of the parents' OFA hip/elbow scores and they are willing to bring their trainer out tomorrow and have the trainer work with both parents in front of me so that I can see how they work and then I'll go from there. Sables are my favorite color next to blacks.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Do you want to share the pedigree? :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you want to share the pedigree? :)
Lol well I don't have the pedigree as of yet. They aren't on the web and are old-fashioned in a way, so none of their dogs are on the pedigree database. I'll make sure to post it when I get it and have it added to the pedigree database. I'll keep you guys in suspense until then :D I'll post pictures of the litter in just a bit, though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The second picture down is the little boy that I'm primarily interested in. The first picture is the only other male in the litter and is a lighter colored sable.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
haaahh , now I can say it , the female you had looked very tired , old beyond her years --- slow down young Bethany --- who are the parents of the pup you are interested in.

also chickens (birds) and young pups -- look out for and treat for coccidia .

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Those pups look fluffy! I doubt they are working line though without a pedigree. Do they have ofa or are they just gonna demonstrate that the parents are athletic?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'm sorry this experience didn't work out for you..:( Sad for you and sad for the dog:(

I was one who said go for it, I have always had good experiences with my co owns (two) but I have heard alot of negatives from others.

Moving on, YES, while cute those puppies can hng with the chickens, make sure if you get him, to have him tested for coccidia, puppies eating chicken poo, which is pretty normal as puppies can be pigs, chickens carry alot of yucky stuff in their poo.

Good luck I hope everything works out

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the advice, Carmen. How do you go about treating coccidia and what should I look out for? I've never dealt with it before. Also, as far as there not being a pedigree, they will come with a big puppy packet with their AKC paperwork, a bag of their puppy food, their shot record, deworming record, clear statement of health from their vet, my copy of the written health guarantee, and copies of the parents' pedigrees. I think I said earlier in the post that both parents have been OFA'd and I've asked to see the reports from where they were OFA'd and the trainer is coming to actually work them with a helper and allow me to see them work. I'm loving how the breeder is being honest and open with everything and isn't acting like they are trying to hide anything. I'm supposed to go over there and spend a couple hours with them in about an hour or so, so I have to get offline and go get dressed. Wish me luck :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
bethany , it's a stool tested sample..Something you would probably normally do when you take the puppy in for it's first exam...Coccidia causes wicked diarhea in most cases as well, can be hard to get rid of , but meds do work..

Just mention the 'chicken thing" when you vet him..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. I just got back from spending some time with them all. They are truly great people. Both parents have OFA good hips and elbows and were tested DM clear. The breeders didn't have any problem showing me the certifications and paperwork on each dog. They were an overall clean environment with the puppies being raised inside around the family. I really really like the little guy that I originally thought I would like; the second picture down of the darkest sable boy. He is very friendly and loves to chase a ball and rope toy. So......I placed the deposit down! I'm also very satisfied with what their guarantee entails. Hips and elbows guaranteed for two years and free from all genetic diseases for life. I pick him up in two weeks! I'm so excited. She did say that she would keep me in plenty of pictures of him and how he's doing over the next two weeks and I'll do the same for you guys. Now the difficult part of coming up with a name!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
The waiting is going to be a hard one for you also, gorgeous puppy, congrats. :wub:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
what is the name of the sire and what is the name of the dam. I would never buy a dog not knowing the genetics -- did they give you that ? If the pedigree comes with the puppy pack , or is it the registration ? that comes with the puppy pack.

ps -- remember the shipping for the magazines

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I'm so sorry - I had high hopes for the co-own and think, if done right, can be a wonderful thing.
Unfortunately, sometimes breeders just want a dog out of their hair while not giving up total ownership, and it turns out badly for all.
We co-owned a male (intact of course) Keeshond quite a while back and it was not a great deal at all for us, and it was the same type thing. Although a sweet and loving boy, if not tethered to one of us constantly (and even sometimes while tethered) he'd pee all over my house, having never been raised or living in one ever in his short young life.
Not fun :(

1 - 20 of 62 Posts