German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave Joey his heartworm medicine yesterday (was on Interceptor; just started on Sentinel) and his flea/tick medicine today (Vectra 3D).

His appetite is great, but he gets so lethargic and just wants to sleep.

No vomiting or diahrrea.

It lasts for a couple of days, then he's back to his old self. It's like a knife in our hearts to see him like that.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
That's doesn't seem like a "normal" reaction. I'd be inclined to change up the meds and see if there are some different ones he doesn't have that reaction to. There are a lot of choices and different active ingredients to choose from. Hopefully there's one that he'll tolerate a little better.

Does he have the MDR1 gene? FWIW, I've never seen any lethargy from ivermectin-based HW meds -- it's possible that it happens, I've just never seen it, and a lot of different dogs come through my house (fosters). Also, I find that we don't actually need flea meds every month (and I'm in the Deep South were fleas are a problem)--once every few months is plenty in my experience (my dogs are not out in the woods though..).

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Here is my problem with Sentinel and similar products....you are double dosing for fleas. One product in the Sentinel and then again in the Vectra

Personally, I would do the test for the MDR1 gene and give the Heartguard if he's negative rather than double dose on the flea control.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before we started the Sentinel, we mentioned the double dosing issue to the vet, and they said it would not be a problem.

We're going to keep an eye on Joey and if he doesn't snap out of it by the weekend, I'll call the vet.

I get so ticked off (no pun intended) that they don't make Interceptor anymore.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I would not give the pesticides all at once. You are putting toxins on your dog that his system clearly can't handle.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I try to play on the safe side and space mine a week apart for dosing. Hope that your boy feels better.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I agree that the meds should be separated by a couple weeks (more or less).

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lulu takes hartz for heartworms. When I took Lulu to the vet he said he had been using it for years and had never had any problems with it so he had no reason to change it. She has no reactions to it at all. For fleas she gets Advantage II. Both get done the same day with no problems what so ever. HTH

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Lulu takes hartz for heartworms. When I took Lulu to the vet he said he had been using it for years and had never had any problems with it so he had no reason to change it. She has no reactions to it at all. For fleas she gets Advantage II. Both get done the same day with no problems what so ever. HTH
Just a quick question ... I can't find any information that Hartz even makes a HW medication for dogs/cats/anything ... are you sure you're not giving your dog a medication for intestinal worms that you "think" also covers HW?

Or are you referring to: "... Ultraguard topical drops or dog collars. These products slowly release a medicine over a period of several weeks that will provide a protective barrier from mosquitoes. "

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hartz does not produce or market a heartworm treatment or preventative that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Thank goodness! They shouldn't make anything

1 - 12 of 12 Posts