German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Good job... WHY was she loose?! Come on, you have a DA fighting breed, LEASH it.

I suggest break sticks to anyone.. as you can see, it wasn't even your dog needing a break stick but it would have come in handy. It can prevent a lot of damage from happening and you can easily make your own out of a hammer handle..

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Ugh.. I hope she learns to keep her leashed/belted in the car..

As for the breakstick thing, pretty good video.. The only reason I can think of him not wanting real break sticks around the house is they are considered dogfighting paraphernalia to uneducated people... Even though they're used in hunting as well and any dog owner should have one as a safety precaution. But springpoles, treadmills, chains, and scars on a dog are also considered paraphernalia. I'd rather have a sturdy real break stick..

Here is how to make one with a hammer:
http://www.pbrc.net/misc/breakstick_howto.pdf

And some from a very reliable person.
Home - CATCHDOG RELEASE TOOL

Basically you put it wherever you can in the mouth and turn it. The back of the mouth works best but you can't always get it in there.

I 2nd getting her to check out PB-C..

· Registered
3,350 Posts
One question - (dumb?) are you suggesting that we can use these for any dog fight where one dog grabs another or only for the bully breeds?
You CAN use them on other breeds, but it's not suggested because other breeds are more likely to redirect or bite the human... Bull breeds are the least likely to do so due to their breeding. But it's mostly terrier/bull breeds in a fight who refuse to let go. When my shepherd got into it with a bulldog she would hold on when she got a good bite, but she regripped a LOT, so it was easier to get her off - whereas the bulldog got one good grip on her neck and stayed there. I had no breakstick near me so I had to use the leg of a small table to break her off.

Sorry to get off topic :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.