German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In dodgers ob class there's these two women who own a bully breed, ones a staffie and the others an American pit bull terrier. These ladies are super nice, but a little naive. Adrian (the aptt) is dog aggressive, she constantly whines and has gone after a few other dogs in the class, thankfully not dodger. Bella two dogs got in to it in dodgers class last night. the staffie is pretty easy going for the most part, but I can see in certain situations were she can be DA. Last night my neighbor and I went early to work our dogs and to get them ready for work. Bella and her mom come and start working. I'm standing next to my neighbor talking when all of a sudden I see Adrian loose. I'm thinking **** this isn't good, protect dodger and Hudson (my neighbors dog). Adriana owner is calling her and she's not listening. Adrian goes over to Bella way too excited, they did good for a minute then it happens, they get into a fight. I threw dodgers leash at my neighbor, he behaved like a good boy sat for her and everything. The bellas mom yelling and trying to pull Bella away. I ran over grabbed Adrian by the scruff of her neck and held her up off her front feet while telling bellas mom to do the same and held them until they let go. After we got them apart I checked each one for injuries suggested they take them to the vet. This never would have happened if Adrians mom had left her leash on her while they were in the car. Yes it was a accident, but it could have been prevented.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you didn't get hurt!! People need to be more careful when handling their dogs!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't care about being bit in the moment, I just wanted to get the dogs apart with minimal damage.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Good job... WHY was she loose?! Come on, you have a DA fighting breed, LEASH it.

I suggest break sticks to anyone.. as you can see, it wasn't even your dog needing a break stick but it would have come in handy. It can prevent a lot of damage from happening and you can easily make your own out of a hammer handle..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Pit Bull Rescue Central

What I don't understand is that he doesnt like the actual break sticks, says he wont keep them in his home. *very big confused face*

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good job! You are brave!

There is a very good looking Pitt Bull girl in Phenix Agility Class. She seems more dog exceited than dog agressive, but one bring up the other in my opinion...and a few weeks ago, while practicing, this little girl went off leash and went straight up to an other dog (caniche - Doodle). Everything seems fine at first, but the Doodle is a bit dog reactive and when she growled at the Pitt girl it was on....The Pitt went after the Doodle and NOBODY did anything!!! My husband and the instructor finaly broke the fight, but none of the two dogs owner did something....The women who handles the Pitt is naive too...she have no idea how powerful her dog is....unfortunately, she can't manage her dog at all....this little gril isn't a bad dog, she is a "no limit" dog...

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I understand the apbts owner was opening the door to put the leash on and she got out. This is why I always leave dodgers leash on in the car so I don't have to worry about putting it on when we get some where and risk him getting out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good job... WHY was she loose?! Come on, you have a DA fighting breed, LEASH it.
Ive been to one of their classes and the owner of the apbt mix (Adrian) is the type who probably shouldnt be owning any breed of dog espically not a bully breed. It was almost sickening to watch her lack of control honestly (I wasnt there for the fight but was to meet the trainer and watch a class a couple weeks ago).

Thankfully my friend (DCLuver33) was there.
And Steph, I still recommend wrtinging down PBC's site and giving it to her, both could use it but Adrians owner more so. ... I guess this would be a good time to have the PBC business cards MN, on PBC, talks about.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ugh.. I hope she learns to keep her leashed/belted in the car..

As for the breakstick thing, pretty good video.. The only reason I can think of him not wanting real break sticks around the house is they are considered dogfighting paraphernalia to uneducated people... Even though they're used in hunting as well and any dog owner should have one as a safety precaution. But springpoles, treadmills, chains, and scars on a dog are also considered paraphernalia. I'd rather have a sturdy real break stick..

Here is how to make one with a hammer:
http://www.pbrc.net/misc/breakstick_howto.pdf

And some from a very reliable person.
Home - CATCHDOG RELEASE TOOL

Basically you put it wherever you can in the mouth and turn it. The back of the mouth works best but you can't always get it in there.

I 2nd getting her to check out PB-C..

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Great Job. I had to get an AmStaff off my dog today as well and all I thought about was my boy and not about that I could get hurt. I am glad nothing happened.

The same thing happened to me once with my pup. She ran off when I got her out of the car, despite her having being on leash. Sometimes accidents happen, with or without them being on the leash.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Ugh.. I hope she learns to keep her leashed/belted in the car..

As for the breakstick thing, pretty good video.. The only reason I can think of him not wanting real break sticks around the house is they are considered dogfighting paraphernalia to uneducated people... Even though they're used in hunting as well and any dog owner should have one as a safety precaution. But springpoles, treadmills, chains, and scars on a dog are also considered paraphernalia. I'd rather have a sturdy real break stick..

Here is how to make one with a hammer:
http://www.pbrc.net/misc/breakstick_howto.pdf

And some from a very reliable person.
Home - CATCHDOG RELEASE TOOL

Basically you put it wherever you can in the mouth and turn it. The back of the mouth works best but you can't always get it in there.

I 2nd getting her to check out PB-C..
One question - (dumb?) are you suggesting that we can use these for any dog fight where one dog grabs another or only for the bully breeds?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
One question - (dumb?) are you suggesting that we can use these for any dog fight where one dog grabs another or only for the bully breeds?
You CAN use them on other breeds, but it's not suggested because other breeds are more likely to redirect or bite the human... Bull breeds are the least likely to do so due to their breeding. But it's mostly terrier/bull breeds in a fight who refuse to let go. When my shepherd got into it with a bulldog she would hold on when she got a good bite, but she regripped a LOT, so it was easier to get her off - whereas the bulldog got one good grip on her neck and stayed there. I had no breakstick near me so I had to use the leg of a small table to break her off.

Sorry to get off topic :eek:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Good thing you were there and quickly took control.

If this happened outside of the training class, this should be reported to the instructor. I signed something stating that the dog will be under control outside the training hall as well as inside. If this dog and owner is truly out of control and a danger to other, this incident may mean that they no longer take group lessons. Of course, acidents do happen. The instructor should be able to determine if this was the case, or if this was one too many careless moment.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i trust the dogs and you are ok i never leave a leash on my dog while it's the car. if my dog has to be in the car longer than 5 minutes
i take his collar off. the woman knew her dog is aggressive.
i think she needs to be in more control of her dog. how many times has this dog shown aggression in class? i know we take them to class to learn but when is it not safe for the other dogs? how many incidents have to occur before the dog isn't allowed to come to class?

This never would have happened if Adrians mom had left her leash on her while they were in the car. Yes it was a accident, but it could have been prevented.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I had an incident in an obedience training class last week that was interesting. Baron, our 2 3/4 yo male GSD) has been a little DA but usually only to other male dominant acting dogs. he gets along great with puppies and females and most other dogs.

BUT, last week in class we were lining up to do a Figure 8 with a GSD he knows and gets along with and a black Lab female. All of a sudden (I did not see it coming) he lunges at the Lab with a very serious intent. It was hard to hold him back - altho we did manage to and the dogs never touched. the owner of the Lab told me later that she noticed her dog staring at Baron before he lunged and actually took some of the blame for the incident. Of course i felt terrible anyway even though nobody got hurt.
That was the absolute first time that Baron ever reacted aggressively to a female dog and he has had a couple of female GSD's tell him off when he was too persistent in wanting to play with no reaction at all.

Baron does sometimes react to another dog staring at him - seems to take it as a challenge according to the behaviorist that we have consulted with.

BTW, I did see the Lab in a later class lunge at an Aussie so the dog wasn't quite the very meek dog it seemed at firstBUT that is no excuse for Baron reacting to her as he did.

Any thoughts on why he might have decided to lunge at his first female?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I have a dog aggressive dog. She is only good around the dogs in her pack and the dogs at my parents place. Other than that she's not good with any other dog, doesn't matter if male or female.

But training is important for dogs like that. You have to get their training to a level where they concentrate on the handler and where you can walk by other dogs without them throwing a fit.

When you have a dog aggressive dog the best thing you can do is to condition them to a point where they will focus on you while you give them something to focus on.

I can go into a dog park with my dog aggressive dog, stand in the middle of the crowd and do clicker training. I've done it before and I'll do it again. As long as she is focusing on the handtouch, or something else, other dogs can run around us like crazy and she doesn't even care.
The minute I stop and she has time to single out a dog, focus on that dog and literally work herself up to the point where all she thinks about is to attack is when i didn't pay attention.

So I do think that it is important to work dog aggressive dogs around other dogs because you have to learn to keep them under control and to learn how you can make them focus on you.

However, I wouldn't suggest it to anybody. One really needs to know what they are doing and they need to know their dog in and out.

That is why I am not taking Zenzy to the US right away because if somebody is taking her in and something happens even though I KNOW about her being dog aggressive than it's too late and I am not taking any chances.

As for the leash issue, the dog would have probably run off with our without being on leash. Happened to me, happened to others and it can happen to anyone because sometimes it just happens, doesn't matter how much attention you pay.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
i never leave a leash on my dog while it's the car. if my dog has to be in the car longer than 5 minutes
i take his collar off.
We leave the leashes on in the car, just in case we're in an accident and the dogs somehow manage to start running away. It's going to be easier for a stranger to catch a dog on leash than off if we're unable to go after them.
I'd like to think that the dogs would stand right by our bleeding comatose bodies and protect us... and that the news media would pick up on the story resulting in the state awarding medals of honor to the dogs and TOTW giving us free dog food for life...and then maybe a movie deal...But on the off chance that the dogs do run, leashes stay on. ;)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i trust the dogs and you are ok i never leave a leash on my dog while it's the car. if my dog has to be in the car longer than 5 minutes
i take his collar off. the woman knew her dog is aggressive.
i think she needs to be in more control of her dog. how many times has this dog shown aggression in class? i know we take them to class to learn but when is it not safe for the other dogs? how many incidents have to occur before the dog isn't allowed to come to class?
or at least get a seatbelt for her so she's restrained in the car until she can get the leash on her. Quite honestly I don't think she even knows what breed of dog she has. Most of the time her dog just cries because it's so hyper it only went after another dog when it got in it's face because of the other stupid people in my class that can't control their dogs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.