German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started thinking of things to do with Ammo. One thing that crossed my mind was hunting for deer sheds. Then I started wondering what I would do with all the sheds we find. I came up with an idea but wanted some feedback on it.

I was thinking about starting an etsy store and selling the sheds for dog treats. I also thought about making and selling flirt poles. I made a flirt pole and also bought a $30 from amazon. I like the one I made a lot better. I have a friend who makes horse and dog coats and usually has a lot of extra material, to use for the toys on the flirt poles.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone other than me? Do you think people would actually buy deer sheds for their dogs? Also what other ideas can you come up with for things I could make and sell online? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
deer sheds? Antlers? People buy them all the time. The question would be can you legally sell them as treats under the FDA.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes antlers. Guess I should have just said antlers. :)

I know a friend who sells some on her etsy account. I'll have to ask her if she had to go through the FDA to do it.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
It might matter how you advertise them. If they are advertised as "dog treats" it might fall under the FDA

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't think Etsy allows you to sell things you just find on the ground as dog food. I would sell them as "craft supplies" and mention that dogs love to chew on them. ;)

If you like crafty things, you could sell dog booties and custom hankerchiefs as well. Very easy and cheap to make, high mark-up, pretty high demand.

Do you have any resources for teaching how to hunt antler sheds? I was looking into AKC tracking with my dog but it seems way too involved. Maybe sheds would be easier?

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Exactly Kaimeju! It's all in how it's phrased! lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think Etsy allows you to sell things you just find on the ground as dog food. I would sell them as "craft supplies" and mention that dogs love to chew on them. ;)

If you like crafty things, you could sell dog booties and custom hankerchiefs as well. Very easy and cheap to make, high mark-up, pretty high demand.

Do you have any resources for teaching how to hunt antler sheds? I was looking into AKC tracking with my dog but it seems way too involved. Maybe sheds would be easier?
My friend labels them as dog chews harvested from the Rocky Mountain region. Seems to work for her.

I looked up a video about training a dog to hunt deer sheds. It was very informative and made it sound not to difficult. Hopefully this link will take you to the video

1 - 7 of 7 Posts