German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm officially off the K9 team. No longer a point in doing it. I will return the GPS. Took the advise to heart and I always said that I won't be a lifelong wannabe handler that's never going to certify a dog and if we are not operational within two years than I know what I have to do.

I take SAR K9 too serious for that. It sucks because she's actually passed the "Off Trail" ...

Makes me sad and I am pretty sure that some of you have seen it coming already...

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
...I'm officially off the K9 team. No longer a point in doing it. I will return the GPS. Took the advise to heart and I always said that I won't be a lifelong wannabe handler that's never going to certify a dog and if we are not operational within two years than I know what I have to do.

I take SAR K9 too serious for that. It sucks because she's actually passed the "Off Trail" ...

Makes me sad and I am pretty sure that some of you have seen it coming already...
You're not a wannabe handler. You were on a team and worked/certified your dogs. That makes you the real deal.

As for doing SAR or not, I think you are better suited for IPO. Just have fun and continue to work your amazing dogs :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Sorry to hear this Mrs.K- clearly that's where your heart is. I always thought from your posts and videos that your dogs seemed to be doing just fine! So I didn't see this coming.

If you don't mind me making light of the situation, you know what this means right? Time to try out agility!!!! :)

Seriously though- sorry to hear it. Good luck in what you decide to try next!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I don't really know you, but I am so proud of you for trying! Many of us do not challenge ourselves enough, you had the courage to pursue one of your passions, good for you!

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
There is not one wannabe bone in your body.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I don't know what happened Mrs K but I agree, you're not a wannabee handler. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but have no doubt you'll find another door to walk through real soon. :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I had no clue... what happened? Sorry that it isn't working out, but there are lots of other things you can do to stay busy with your dogs, I am sure!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I sorry that it did not work out. Maybe another time, another place, another team.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am sorry it didn't work out.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
You worked very hard and I'm sorry it didn't work out :(

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everybody. It means a lot.

It's resources, they are just not there. It's the only reason I quit the team. One person doesn't make a team and I was the only active person left and when I was told that I most likely wouldn't get into the Searcher I class despite having all the requirements and going through the Academy (it has only given me the equivalent), even taking the EMT class which I initially signed up for because of SAR, I had to make a decision.

The dogs are not getting any younger and my teammate had the same issue. She quit the K9 team for a while too and her dog was just as driven as Indra when she was her age. Never certified, and when she came back in, she had to wash her because of her age. That won't happen to my dogs.

@Myo: you know it. I think I'm going to be very happy with the Hampton K9 training group. He's an awesome helper and trainer.:D

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're not a wannabe handler. You were on a team and worked/certified your dogs. That makes you the real deal.

As for doing SAR or not, I think you are better suited for IPO. Just have fun and continue to work your amazing dogs :)
Oh, you bet. And one day, you will be catching Nala. ;)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Sorry, I'm lost in all the details of the story, but I'm sorry. You and me are probably going through the same...

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I'm lost in all the details of the story, but I'm sorry. You and me are probably going through the same...
If you have no one to train with, yep. Than we are going through the same, even though you got much further than I did.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out for you, you really did give it your all.

It can be very frustrating tying to do something with your dogs in this country, driving distances, clubs/groups breaking up. When someone is willing to go the extra mile it just shouldn't be so difficult.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. Hopefully something else will. I've only been involved in GSDs a very short time and have already been a founding member (in some cases THE founding member) of three separate training clubs, none of which I currently train with.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I feel badly for you, I know how much you loved it and how passionate about it you were. I hope you can find something else you are equally as enthusiastic about.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If you have no one to train with, yep. Than we are going through the same, even though you got much further than I did.
Not for a long time. Now I may have people to train with, but because of bureaucracy issues I will not be able to go to searches for a couple of years. Diabla isn't getting any younger either and I have other priorities than training for the fun of it. This weekend may decide if I remain on the team.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts