German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been out of town for most of the week and I missed hearing about everyone's doggies! Did I miss much?

Well, I wanted a high drive, working line GSD that my daughter could compete with and guess what.....WE GOT IT! He is now 18 weeks old and a terror! He listens really well as long as you have food or a toy but the rest of the time watch out! My husband jokes that when he sees someone or something he wants he dives into it head first! He is a happy dog, loves people and is not scared of anything! We set up a baby pool for him in our backyard with his toys in it and now when he is inside he puts his toys in his water dish and then flips them and the water everywhere!

For those of you that have had pups like this tell me.... this is normal and we really don't want to curb his enthusiasm with discipline- just redirect and exercise...right? I would like to curb his jumping but I will try to do this positively!

By the way... for those of you that I have mentioned our problems with soft poop and him gaining weight guess what..... the vet talked me into trying science diet (his poop was no longer runny, it just was big and went through him quickly) and its working! I hate science diet but he does seem to digest it better than some of the food I was paying twice as much for.... I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sounds like a happy, healthy pup to me!

It's amazing how they figure things out.

Science diet is not something I'd prescribe, but there must be something about it that doesn't upset him. I'd look at the ingredients and then see if you could use the same things in a healthier form. IE - if it has chicken, find a healthier food that has chicken..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Sue! Our vet, Dr. Harris here in Mt. Juliet had the same idea, so he treated him for the ghiardia for 10 days even though it was negative. I would love to see your dogs sometime!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: zypScience diet is not something I'd prescribe, but there must be something about it that doesn't upset him. I'd look at the ingredients and then see if you could use the same things in a healthier form. IE - if it has chicken, find a healthier food that has chicken..
I'm stumped why he would do better on it. Maybe that its not as rich as the Canadiea or Innova?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Zyp,

With the rains and the heat here (or anywhere the way it has been), with loose stools, one of the 1st things I would check.

FYI...

That is why we recommend on younger puppies (8 weeks) staying on the same food for a bit when they go to their new home.

TNgsd,

We will be at the Regional in Franklin , KY with a least one working class, one 12-18 and one puppy in Sept. All working lines. Bit hectic now with the current litter (WUSV Rosso and Tina).

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Originally Posted By: Smithie86I would still re-test for coccidia and Ghiardia. Sometimes the initial tests do not pick it up. Ask about the antigen tests.
I had a male that kept testing negative for Giardia, including the agtigen test. Had hundreds of dollars of tests done at the Vet school ruling out bad things....

In desperation treated for Ghiardia anyways and guess what? It worked!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Normal for some dogs, not normal for others. I truly think, that under some controls you need to let your dog adjust according to his/her mentality My son has a dog like your, ad the guy is just a bit wild.

As for the poop, I disagree with your food choice, but of it works, great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts