German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FZ200 Panasonic

As mentioned a bridge camera is a compromise in quality of final image but I think this is ok. This has small sensor but fast lens and a lot of versatility. I can see I need to up shutter speed for Beau at a run though. The run was early morning dappled shade at a zoom setting. 1/800 second which worked fine for the trot though.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Beau is such a stunner, the second photo is awesome :). I'm glad you'd enjoying the new camera

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot to learn. I have seen awesome photos taken with this camera but it has a lot of complexeties about it in terms of settings etc.

Yeah, I'm kind of partial to Mr Beau. He is still a bit on the rangy side but I think that is just going to be his final physique (he will be 2 in July)...even though his father is a tank...but lordy, I have never had a GSD this fast and who covers this much ground on any stride.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
nice pictures.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
nice pictures! Are you finding it easy to use??

I'll have to check it out myself:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
What a handsome fellow. I love the second photo! :wub:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is an enormous learning curve (at least for me). The user manual is over 300 pages but there is a series on youtube by Graham Houghton with a series of tutorials on how to use the camera. I can see though that once you learn to use it, it is not so hard.

There are all kinds of options - you can shoot panoramic, HDR, 3D, slow motion video, 12fps burst mode, etc.

I have not even begun to play with raw, but......my shots are NOT the greatest yet compared to what I have seen....having to learn all over to use a viewfinder! But it has a diopter setting and is better than using the screen (which it does have as well) for most shots. But the LCD screen if you don't use the electronic viewfinder is fully articulated so that is cool for holding the camera low etc.

I figured it would be a great knockabout camera and if I get serious I can look at where most of my shots are focal length wise and consider a camera such as a DSLR with a bigger sensor. It is nice to go from 25-600mm with one set of lens though and have a 2.8 aperature through the whole range. The main limitation is the sensor size, the lens is excellent.

But even so I think this would still be a go to camera for vacations and the like .... for SAR training I can video boatwork with the telephoto in high speed and play it back to help the hander see the nuances of dog language (it can be hard to read your own dog on a boat so videos can be helpful)........and when I am hiding in the woods I can shoot wildlife (you sit quiet for several hours in the woods and you see a lot)

I plan on taking it out with me in the woods with Beau but I want to put a small accident plan on it and get a case for it first. There's a lot of holes to fall in off trail ya know. I checked it out on dpreview and looked a lots of photos folks took with the camera.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
..oh I have not had anything but cheap point and shoots and cell phones since the light meter died and the shutter started hanging up on my Pentax Spotmatic 35mm around 18 years ago. My eyesight was also shot then and focusing was a bear because there was no diopter adjustment and you HAD to use your glasses.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Great shots of a fantastic looking dog! I loved my Panasonic Lumix P&S and I've heard some really nice things about their bridge cameras as well. Look forward to many more photos as you test out the camera :D

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That he is! I have to get my husband to put his muddy creek video up on youtube so I can show it. It was hilarious. It is amazing how much difference the light makes though. That blurry running picture (I can up the shutter speed but need a sunnier area) is with the morning sun at his back and you can see there that he is a sable but with the other pictures he looks more like a blanket black.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
OMG! That was the most adorable video ever!

Oh the mud!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts