German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Doerak has a perfect heeling attention when I hold a kong near my left sholder. He has near perfect heeling when I switch it to my left pocket. But when there is no kong to be found on my body, he just isn't interested in heeling, at all. We entered our first Rally trial yesterday and I got him psyched up with the kong and, behind my back, I put it into my tote bag. Well, during our course he was barely paying attention and mostly was looking everywhere except at me, while drifting out to my left. Somehow, we scored a 90, but I need to know if there's anyway to create that attention without a Kong. Should I just start over with a clicker or something? I wonder if he's even listening to the heel command. Maybe I need to connect the two somehow. Anyway, he's always been like this. We've been in several obedience classes and it doesn't take long before he starts drifting off.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I just saw the huge thread on focus over in the next category down. I think I'm going to try that.

so...

Nevermind!

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah theres a huge thread, i started by just saying watch, as she made eye contact, then changed to watch for attention and good watch when she gave it, but i cant get her to focus while heeling unless i have food in my hands

1 - 3 of 3 Posts