German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I had rescued a GS mix in July. She had just been here a month or so when I get a call from my best friend who I grew up with that he is losing his house due to the economy and asked if I would take in his GSD 6 yr old with HD(minor) or if I knew of a rescue or friends that were looking for a dog.He also mentioned possibly needing a place to stay with his family for a couple of months.

The wife and I talked and we agreed that there was no way we could manage 3 dogs plus if he and his family did come to stay with us, things would be very tight. We called the rescue and explained the situation and asked what options we had. They told us that placing a 6 yr old GSD with HD would be very hard but if we wanted to return tweety we could but we would lose our adoption fees($400). I asked if we could get another rescue in a year or so as we had already paid the fees, but was told that wasn't an option for us.

We ended up giving tweety back as they said its alot easier to place a puppy, and had Maxx come to us for what we thought was going to be permanent. So september rolls around and about 10 days ago my buddy calls me all excited that a well off family member loaned them the funds to get all caught up with their payments and that he wants to come take Maxx back.. Of course I said sure.

So now we dont have tweety as she got adopted and Maxx is back home with his family..and Goofy is missing not 1 but 2 play buddies :(

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh how crappy! Seems it was bad timing all the way around, so sorry.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You are a very good friend for trying to help out your buddy. The cost you paid for helping out, though, was just too high. I would not have given up my dog. Now that you have returned/surrendered a dog, it will probably go against you if you ever try to adopt from a shelter or rescue. (Not to mention the $400.00 you are out.) I would end up being resentful toward my friend, but that is just me. It is a shame all the way around. I am sorry.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I could never have given up my dog either. I would have to express my sympathy to said friend for the hard times they were facing but decline to help due to my own situation. I learned long ago that while it feels good to help it rarely if ever works out in my favor.

I recently agreed to dog sit for two weeks and in return I would get a good deal of venison for my dogs. My friend was going to Wisconsin where the deer are a plenty. When he returned, the venny was one grocery bag(walmart plastic bag) of 5 year old venny. It was very trying on me to have his dog for that two weeks and the payoff was far less than promised. Never again!! I live in a small house(496 sq ft) & have two dogs of my own, as well as two cats, and work full time, so one extra animal to care for is simply too much.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Why would you give up your dog because someone ran their life into the ditch? That is so very sad. Glad you turned her back over to the rescue so they can find her a good home.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Im sorry that all had to happen. I agree with Stosh..no good deed goes unpunished. Life definetly presents us with difficult decisions and its how you learn from them thats important :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Why would you give up your dog because someone ran their life into the ditch? That is so very sad. Glad you turned her back over to the rescue so they can find her a good home.
:thumbup:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how could you give up your dog?
i think you should have taken
your friend in with his dog and family.
it would have been cramped for a while
but so what. if you were able to give up
your dog that easily then you
weren't attached to the dog and your friend
deserves to have his dog back. was it discussed
once your friend got back on his feet he wanted his dog back?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
While I do not know the circumstances I think it is a very unfair remark to make about someone running their life into a ditch. There are people all over this country loosing their homes thru NO FAULT of their own! My own company let many go and sent hundreds of our jobs to other countries, I have been very lucky so far. Just remember it could be any of us who looses our home tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
While I do not know the circumstances I think it is a very unfair remark to make about someone running their life into a ditch. There are people all over this country loosing their homes thru NO FAULT of their own! My own company let many go and sent hundreds of our jobs to other countries, I have been very lucky so far. Just remember it could be any of us who looses our home tomorrow.
Ok, I apologize for that particular part of the statement - you are very right, HOWEVER, there ARE jobs in this country. People can work, they just generally choose which jobs they are willing to work and for what wage. Sell the big house, buy a smaller one, sell the nice car, take city transportation or get a cheaper car, get rid of cable or dish TV, get rid of high speed internet, and budget accordingly. It's possible, most just let things get so bad that they loose everything rather than make cuts early on to keep it from getting that bad.

IMHO, I STILL would never give up my dogs because someone else wanted to move in with me and keep theirs. No, sorry. It's our job to provide for ourselves and our family (children, pets). We will help when and where we can, but getting rid of our family so they can keep theirs isn't an option here.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I agree I would not give up my dog either. I will tell you that where I work they have started hiring again and you must pass a test to even get an interview. About 90% do not pass, it just shows how bad our school system is as most of them but not all are young. It is sad because you know most can do the job but they do not even get a chance.

But you are right, some do not even try to cut back until its to late. Lord I hope this country and economy turn around soon! Maybe we will see just a few less pets getting turned out.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I feel very bad for the OP. I just wish the decision had been..."You and/or your dog are welcome to stay with us. If, however, it does not work out with the extra dog, you will have to make other arrangements for him."

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You live and learn, if I had to do it again I guess I would have tried it a different way. Believe me it wasn't an easy decision to make as far as giving up tweety, but at the same time watching my friends life fall apart without being able to help was not something I would have been comfortable with.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I know you really did try to do the right thing. It has just turned out so badly for you and that doesn't seem fair.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I hope YOUR friend knows what a good friend he has , and the sacrifice you made for them:(

I'm sorry Goofy now is back to being an only child:(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Goofy said that the rescue said (which is true) it would be easier to place a puppy than an adult dog with HD. As Stosh said, no good deed goes unpunished.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. We've all been through those. Sorry you tried to do something good and got burned.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'm sorry that you gave up your dog ( I couldn't have done that) but at least you kept Max out of a kill shelter or from just being abandoned. Too many people are dumping their animals because times are tough.

And to the poster that said people should sell their house before losing it. You do realize that when the housing market dropped so did the value of many people's homes. I couldn't sell now even if I wanted to because I am upside down on my house by about $40,000. And older homes aren't selling these days. There are homes that have been on the market for over a year now that still haven't sold. I have a good friend who is a real estate agent. She couldn't even make a living doing that any more and had to take a job in a hospital as a paramedic. So saying he should have just sold the house isn't fair. It might not have been as simple as that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts