German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've wanted to do SOMETHING with Zoey. But with her joint issues anything with jumps and hard running with sharp turns are out. So I decided she's excellent with her obedience so she can get cgc certified. I started looking into what we needed to do and I found the Scott County Kennel Club. Its not that far from me and they do so many different things. From reading some of the different stuff they are involed in im sure Zoey can do a couple. There's something called rally? It sounds like a form of obedience. Then thre are obedience trials too. Im sooo excited!! I cat wait to get involved.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
That's great, I hope you like it. Remember---there are lots of things you can do besides just Zoey----rescues always need experienced trainers. For dogs that need rehab before they can be rescued, to helping new owners with problems.

How about tracking and detection----it can be rigorous(like SAR) or laid back(for instance, locating wander offs elderly or little children mostly) Law enforcement agencies are always glad to have resources available to call on in time of emergency. It takes a lot of work to maintain certification, but if you like doing it, it can be very rewarding.

If you'd rather train some tricks and entertainment----there are bunches of opportunities to work up little skits and informative presentations using your dog and training skills to promote education and entertainment for worthy causes. You could do everything from teaching children to look before crossing streets or not speak to strangers to entertain nursing home residents---or anything in between.

Nothing gets people's attention like a well trained and friendly dog.

With a little imagination, there is nothing you can't train Zoey to do. Maybe even to drive a car.

Meet Porter. The World's First Driving Dog.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Rally is lots of fun. You wouldn't have to go onto the advanced level where there are jumps, but if you do the highest in AKC rally is 16 inches. I like it because you can take it easy and train slowly when necessary. We have completed the Rally Novice but since Raina tends to be dog aggressive to smaller dogs I chose to wait on the advanced level which is off lead. She did do very well at novice level though and we had lots of fun training for it. My dog trainer moved away and there aren't any others here that train Rally. They all want to do bite work or plain obedience, no rally. We work at it on our own but I don't know if I will ever go to advanced in competition with her.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So happy you found something. Keep us updated with lots of pics:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts