German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because they can be absolute TERRORS!!! I am having such a rough day with Mako. I am on my way to go see a movie just to get out of the house and get away from him.

Some of the highlights from the day.

-He dumped out all the water in the dog dish by "digging" it out. Twice.

-Every time the HVAC fan kicked on he would race down the hallway barking his head off. Took a good 15 minutes to settle down each time. And of course this is the same sound he has heard multiple times a day every day for the past 7 months. :rolleyes:

- I've had to separate him and my senior for the first time ever because he kept knocking the older dog over.

- he knocked ME over by rushing past me.

- Had UPS deliver a package. He heard the knock and body slammed the front door hard enough to knock a picture off the wall

- He has destroyed 2 of his toys. Absolutely shredded. I put up the non hard rubber ones and gave him the box from my package. It became confetti in less then 10 mins.

- I have a few bruises on my arms and legs from him playing too rough with me. He hasn't left any marks since those needle sharp puppy teeth were gone.

- I just barely dodged getting a black eye when he unexpectedly jumped up. He hit my chin pretty good though. Ouch. :crazy:

- His brains have fallen out completely. Will not obey. Had to physically put him into a sit before dinner. Not like he hasn't sat on command at least a dozen times a day, every day over the past 6 months or anything like that :rolleyes:

- Instead of running around the couch he has chosen to leap OVER it :eek:

- He chased his tail so much I got dizzy. He caught it too. Of course when he DID catch it he grabbed so hard he hurt himself and yelped. Spit it out and continued to chase it.

- He got busted counter surfing. The dummy did it while I was 3 feet away in the kitchen with him.

and those are just the highlights.

Ack. I cannot wait till I have my sweet well behaved boy back again. This quarantine thing suuuuuuuuucks.

Had to vent and thought you guys might get a laugh at some of the antics.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My late dog was sweet and the absolute model of restraint.

She was barkless because she figured out early I was deaf.

In the three years I had her, she was a lady dog to a T.

Not all GSDs are holy terrors. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Awwww the poor pup is going stir crazy:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, teenagers.

I thought mine broke my leg when, in the middle of a running all over at full speed (outside), she misjudged how close she could come and plowed right into me...

Frisbees and fetching help some, some mental excersize too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I'm sorry for laughing but it is hilarious!My boy's brains fell out around that age too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
thats too funny! We went through that with our Pug, insane I wanted to pull out all my hair and head and every limb. One day he got up and was normal, done, finished. The shepherd is now a year old, he's got good manners until he loses it. Have to remind him that skipping 4 stairs is not a good idea at full speed, the pug is not a chew toy, and he can not fit under the table at full speed neither. I've found long weighed down walks (2 water bottles) gets a lot of that energy out, also antlers in the evening have been great. focuses that nuts-o stuff on the antler and brushes his teeth in the process.

You know one day you'll look back and say, I miss those days :)

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
This too will pass:crazy:

Around that age, I told my GSD to down outside in the yard right by me. He proceeded to run around me three times as fast as he could, slid in to me on the "down", and rolled over on his back with a laughing face.

Your GSD was such a big boy last week!! Now he needs to balance it out with pure puppy :)

My favorite was jumping over the couch!!!

·
4,495 Posts
too bad you hadn't caught all this naughty-ness on video. I bet you would have collected quite a few You Tube hits. I can just imagine it all. indoor zoomies are tough to deal with but so funny in hind sight.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I can relate! Valor has moments of being a complete Terrorist!

Just a short story; When Donner was under a year old I left him in the house (unsupervised) for about 30 minutes while I ran to the store. When I returned he had taken every house plant which were about 20 of them and brought them into the living room. He then dumped each plant out on the middle of carpet in a pile. It looked like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters of a Third Kind when he was building the Devils Tower in his living room. I came in the door and he was sitting in a chair looking at me with a look that said I could have done so much more!!!! All I could do was LMAO. He never did it again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought my dog was the only one that went thru the dumb spells. The other day he acted like he forgot how to play fetch, and like you said with the sitting. Drives me nuts!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
:spittingcoffee:Oh man. I remmber w/ Daisy those days. it does get better but yeah I told Daisy and charlie I dont think your going to see year two(w/ Charlie it would be ) cause im going to kill you way bewfor that.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
One more year and he'll be sane, given that you keep at the obedience, exercise and brain work with him. One word of caution: barking at a fan and tail chasing can led to OCD behavior. Some of his behavior, though, seems disrespectful and he shouldn't do it, no matter his age.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
- He chased his tail so much I got dizzy. He caught it too. Of course when he DID catch it he grabbed so hard he hurt himself and yelped. Spit it out and continued to chase it.
I feel bad for laughing so hard, but oh man. BOYS. I had a male cat that would do something similar.

My girl just got sassy for awhile, starting at around 13 months (when she finally went into season) and she kind of stayed that way for awhile. She was never quite as off the wall as Mako, but she went through some definite salty periods. I'd get my sweet, easygoing girl back, and then she'd go into another sassy phase. She's coming up on 2 this spring, and it's lots better. Of course, it's all relative; she's really never been all that bad, so "decidedly sassy" for her is probably nothing compared to some dogs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My boy is 3 months old and I am terrified of that age!!! I'm so glad to read threads like this though, so I can be prepared! Hope it gets better soon!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
My kid likes to leap off from the fourth stair, so i turned around one day to grab him and make him walk down. He was like "mommy, catch me!" And leaped full force into my face, skull connected with my mouth and gave me a huge fat bloody lip. And I think that was around 4 months. NOW he weighs 70lb at 7.5 mo. Can't wait to see what else I'm in for!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Some good ones in there. Here is my story from this morning.

Linus in nearing 2 years old but he outdid himself this morning. I was in the process of cleaning up a pile of poop the consistency of pudding. I had a big handful and was carefully closing the poop bag. Just then Linus sees a friend across the field and yanks hard on the leash. The "pudding" went EVERYWHERE--covering my hands, my jacket, pants, leash, etc. Not a drop on Linus, however.

It seems I have more work do to on his leash manners.

Good times.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Some good ones in there. Here is my story from this morning.

Linus in nearing 2 years old but he outdid himself this morning. I was in the process of cleaning up a pile of poop the consistency of pudding. I had a big handful and was carefully closing the poop bag. Just then Linus sees a friend across the field and yanks hard on the leash. The "pudding" went EVERYWHERE--covering my hands, my jacket, pants, leash, etc. Not a drop on Linus, however.

It seems I have more work do to on his leash manners.

Good times.

Hahahaha! Everybody that's had a GSD I believe has a poop story!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Yes I do sympathize. He sounds like he has cabin fever sometimes at this age there is no rhyme or reason. Mine is 15 months the older they get it just seems the more energy they have. I very much relate them to as much work as having a toddlers who like mine were always very high high energy!!! I do see the changes although some days it seems slight. Hang in there. He just needs to be kept busy and challenged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, that really made me laugh, sorry. Mine is 7 months old now and being stuck inside because of weather is making her crazy. I'll remember that I laughed at this tonight when I'm dealing with her and getting frustrated. Thanks for the chuckle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts