German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I am a very patient person. I'm a stay at home mom w/3 small kids and my baby, Kodee (1 yr old GSD). This was a rough, tiring weekend (more than usual - lol), and tonight it was all I could do to get my kids into bed w/out losing my sanity. Finally had them down, and Kodee would NOT leave me alone. I It was like he was waiting for me to get the kids out of the way, so he could have me all to himself. He's a housedog, and my big baby - I never lose my patience with him. I've had him since he was 7 weeks old. I work with him all the time (training), he goes almost everywhere with us, he sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed every night, eats like a king, has dozens of toys, etc. You get the picture. He really is my best friend.

But tonight he just kept shoving his nasty, wet, gooey Everlasting Treat ball in my lap while I was trying to watch TV and relax. Normally, I would have just taken the thing and put it away, problem solved. Instead, I was to tired (lazy!) to get up. So I pushed him away and told him "no" about 100x, it felt like. Finally I snapped, and I smacked him fairly hard on his nose. He looked so surprised, and I feel awful. I never hit him, and if someone else did, I'd "clean their clock" as my dad used to say. But I feel so bad! He's already forgotten about it - he's laying at my feet, gnawing on a toy, happy as a lark right now.

Please tell me that this won't damage our bond. I just can't stop feeling bad about it! I guess I just felt the need to confess....

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Dogs are more forgiving than people. And they also don't hold grudges. He's forgotten about it. So should you.

You'd give him a pass if he had an uncharacteristic slip up. Give him and extra hug, then let it go.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I know the feeling. That happened to me last week when the foster dog kept me up all night and Cash kept wanting to play in the morning. I smacked him on the nose and felt soooooo horrible afterward!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: I feel so guilty-lost my patience w/my Kodee B

Yes, don't dwell on it too much, he's already forgotten about it. Luckily, our dogs live in the moment so once it's done and they get some love and attention, it's all in the past.

Roxie accidentally stepped on Falken this afternoon and he screamed so I screamed at Roxie. I could tell she felt bad, and so did I, but after a little extra love and attention, everyone was back to normal within an hour.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

How many times have you spanked your children on the fanny? They still love you right? One time won't hurt I am sure. Just love him as before and he'll forget all about it. If you continue to hit him on a regular basis then you have something to worry about.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

I think you're a very good mommy to Kodee. If I posted this, would that make you think I was a horrible person? I'll bet not. Cut yourself some slack, girl!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts

Relax. Kodee has already forgotten now you have to also. I have womped Gracie on the nose, feel terrible for it, and know it didn't teach her anything. We all lose it sometimes. You're a great mommy!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts

You're fine. When Camper was still a pup, I was trying to buckle him into the car. He was going ballistic because dogs were walking down the street and he wanted to bark at them instead. I was struggling physically with him and his mind was made up that he WAS going to get at the window and bark. He was frustrated, and did like a lot of frustrated-not-quite-bite-inhibited puppies do, he air-snapped in my face.

I was already frustrated, now stunned, and without thinking smacked him on the nose. He was shocked. I was immediately in tears because of what I did. I've never hit a dog before in my life. How could I? I was a failure as a dog owner.

He got over it in a matter of minutes. He was snoozing by the time we got on to the freeway 5 mintues away, and was the same old happy puppy by the time we got to the pool 40 minutes away.

I've never forgotten it.

It was a phenomenal learning experience. When Zamboni, Camper, or my new puppy get me to the point where I feel myself getting THAT frustrated, I know to pull back, walk away, tether the dog, put him in his crate, close the car door for a few minutes and just let her bark, whatever.

There are little gems of wisdom in difficult moments like this. Kodee is fine. And you will be too. I promise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts