German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I take a walk around the farm I think about how lucky I am that I was born into a farming family. Nadja and I have hundreds of acres to roam around on for our walks. Yesterday I was admiring the beautiful sunset, the way it made the green of the oat cover crop glisten, how it gave the clouds to the east a pinkish hue that lit up the foothills. It was truly stunning and to share that with my best friends made it even better! We covered a solid 6.5 miles in that walk alone.
Cloud Sky Dog Carnivore Plant

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow. This is our aim for the future. Our town is slowly being swallowed up by London and our limited green belt land is being sold off to building companies. :(

Beautiful spot, beautiful pup!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
You ARE blessed.
Nothing like the farm....or wilderness. Where I hope to retire, I'll have 4 acres on the lake and thousands of acres of uninhabited forest across the road. The dogs get to be as close to wild as possible there....so do I

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow. This is our aim for the future. Our town is slowly being swallowed up by London and our limited green belt land is being sold off to building companies. :(

Beautiful spot, beautiful pup!
Same thing happening in Calif. Disgusting, where I use to work, down in the SF Bay Area, I worked midnight shifts. The place I worked was surrounded by a lot of open land, I'd see San Juaquin Kit Fox, Burrowing Owls, among other animals. Then came the developers.....................................Guess when big $$$$ is involved the environmental people look the other way when it comes to endangered/protected species. Now the people in the built up areas are complaining about the coyote eating their cats and small dogs, well DUH, what do you expect when the coyotes food has been all killed off, mt lions also, very sad. There was one road my daughter refused to take, because of all the dead animals being hit by the idiots that thought a 2 lane country road was an open invitation to speed to their 'city' job.

Now I'm in the REAL Northern Calif, and I see it starting to happen up here, heritage oaks coming down for new CostCo's when the old CostCo is just fine. A business park that went up DECADES ago, stands empty, housing developments going in, clearing out land. I knew a long, long, LONG time ago, that Los Angeles was a cancer that would spread north. It has.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You ARE blessed.
Nothing like the farm....or wilderness. Where I hope to retire, I'll have 4 acres on the lake and thousands of acres of uninhabited forest across the road. The dogs get to be as close to wild as possible there....so do I
I too am blessed, I'm surrounded by acres and acres of public, mostly unused, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) for those of you not in the USA, land. And I have a few hundred acres of my own, totally isolated, no neighbors, I love it.
@WNGD, that sounds like even more heaven. Sometimes, as I'm getting older, having 4 to 10 acres on a lake sounds like HEAVEN.

It's funny, looking into the future, realizing you may have 20 good years left, if your lucky. I've an older,14 years my Sr, sister that is 77 , and a cousin that is 88, I look at them and realize I'm getting there pretty quickly........sure is a shocker.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same thing happening in Calif. Disgusting, where I use to work, down in the SF Bay Area, I worked midnight shifts. The place I worked was surrounded by a lot of open land, I'd see San Juaquin Kit Fox, Burrowing Owls, among other animals. Then came the developers.....................................Guess when big $$$$ is involved the environmental people look the other way when it comes to endangered/protected species. Now the people in the built up areas are complaining about the coyote eating their cats and small dogs, well DUH, what do you expect when the coyotes food has been all killed off, mt lions also, very sad. There was one road my daughter refused to take, because of all the dead animals being hit by the idiots that though a 2 lane country road was an open invitation to speed to their 'city' job.

Now I'm in the REAL Northern Calif, and I see it starting to happen up here, heritage oaks coming down for new CostCo's when the old CostCo is just fine. A business park that went up DECADES ago, stands empty, housing developments going in, clearing out land. I knew a long, long, LONG time ago, that Los Angeles was a cancer that would spread north. It has.
Yeah it’s a real shame.. there’s been some new developments that are being built on what once was a neighboring farmer’s farmland. It makes me sad to see it.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I said for decades now, the goal was to OWN YOUR VIEW so it can't be developed or an alternative, have your view be protected undevelopable land. Easier said than done.

The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) used to be a bunch of smaller municipalities with space in between, sometimes significant miles between. But they have all grown to touch each other such that the only way you know you're leaving one to the other is the road sign. Houses across the street from each other can be in the next town and bordering on Lake Ontario, the only way to grow was together and North into farmland.

Mississauga touches Toronto and is one formerly small town that used to be 10 municipalities even unto itself but was merged and amalgamated into one giant gross city. The GTA is now HUGE geographically.

"The Greater Toronto Area is the most populous metropolitan area in Canada. It includes the City of Toronto and the regional municipalities of Durham, Halton, Peel, and York. In total, the region contains 25 urban, suburban, and rural municipalities. Wikipedia
Area: 7,124 km²
Population: 5.928 million (2016) StatCan
Province: Ontario"

There are so many positives to this area but freedom, space, peace, quiet and pure air aren't among them any longer. Snarled traffic is legendary, rivalled only by LA, New York, Boston etc. I was born here but can't wait to move on.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey OP, now you need an English Shepherd. They still maintain the farm dog in them. No AkC for them.
Not gonna lie, I’ve been doing some research on the breed and they’re kinda growing on me, my next dog, if it’s not another Shepherd, will probably be an English shepherd.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Same thing happening in Calif. Disgusting, where I use to work, down in the SF Bay Area, I worked midnight shifts. The place I worked was surrounded by a lot of open land, I'd see San Juaquin Kit Fox, Burrowing Owls, among other animals. Then came the developers.....................................Guess when big $$$$ is involved the environmental people look the other way when it comes to endangered/protected species. Now the people in the built up areas are complaining about the coyote eating their cats and small dogs, well DUH, what do you expect when the coyotes food has been all killed off, mt lions also, very sad. There was one road my daughter refused to take, because of all the dead animals being hit by the idiots that though a 2 lane country road was an open invitation to speed to their 'city' job.

We left California East Bay Area 37 years ago for Montana exactly for these reasons. Never looked back. Best decision of our lives.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, NadDog24, you are truly blessed. It is also wonderful you recognize this blessing. The benefits of living in the real world are priceless.

·
Registered
82 Posts

I was born in North calif in the early 60's - i left some 25 years ago and went back for a job interview maybe 7-8 years ago and when i got off the plane i looked around and told myself there is no way i would ever come back to that Hellhole -terrible, dirty, overpriced and just concrete

I live in San Diego now - but its rapidly becoming the same. The day i retire i'm packing the bags and me and my dogs are jumping in the truck and giving the one finger salute to this bottom feeding state - not sure where i'll end up but some place with mountains and where you don't have to lock your house up to just go down to the market

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was born in North calif in the early 60's - i left some 25 years ago and went back for a job interview maybe 7-8 years ago and when i got off the plane i looked around and told myself there is no way i would ever come back to that Hellhole -terrible, dirty, overpriced and just concrete

I live in San Diego now - but its rapidly becoming the same. The day i retire i'm packing the bags and me and my dogs are jumping in the truck and giving the one finger salute to this bottom feeding state - not sure where i'll end up but some place with mountains and where you don't have to lock your house up to just go down to the market
Welcome to Montana. Although this state has felt the exodus surge from California for a long time, it is still a wonderful place to live.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts