German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIP little Jumbo - tiny dog with a big big heart!

Jumbo had been sick for the last few months, he was a 16 year old chihuahua.
My friend had to go away on a business trip ( she had no choice) and her neighbour who's also a friend of hers was looking after him.
Today I got a call that he was not eating hadn't had his medication the last 2 meals and was not really able to stand.
He'd been on steroids and lots of other medication but was refusing to eat or drink.

I left work and took him to the vet ( I did call my friend to let her know and she said whatever the Vet and I decided would be ok)
After a long talk with the Vet I decided it was time to put him to sleep - he was suffering and was likely to pass away over night.
So he got lots of kisses and cuddle from everyone and was PTS. I was still crying when my friend called do she knew straight away. She hung up pretty quick because she was upset. I just hope she won't be angry with me!! I feel so awful like I let them down, Jumbo was always a huge favourite of mine and he even did wag his tail at me just a little when I picked him up from home to go to the Vet :(
I feel so guilty and I'm worried my friend is going to be angry with me or that she might feel I took the opportunity to do something she was finding difficult :(

:( I'm just glad jumbo isn't suffering anymore!!! I guess that's the most porting thing!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,895 Posts
Tough call.

I am sorry you had to manage that.

If your friend is a friend, then she will understand why you did what you did. She will understand that the vet would not have done this lightly to someone else's dog.

It is sad, your friend will grieve. I am sure she would have liked to be there. But she should understand that we cannot expect an animal to suffer until we can be available to come and say good bye.

At best, she will be relieved that her poor dog isn't suffering. It may well have been something she was finding it hard to face.

Again, I am sorry. I hope I never land it that position.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
what a tough call to make. I'm sure your friend understands. The Chihuahua was old and clearly going down hill quickly. I'm sure he knew he was loved thought maybe confused why his person couldn't be there but they'll see each other again.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
she might get angry with herself that she couldn't be there for him and redirect it onto you. Just give her some time and a bit of space if she needs it and she will come around.

·
Registered
744 Posts
well you can't control life or death... you made the right choice and your friend can't be mad at you, im sure she would do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
After all, she did give permission for whatever you and the vet decided. You have my sympathy, what a rough thing.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm sorry you were placed in that decision, I'm sure your friend is just upset at the situation and not at you personally. I know I would be heartbroken if I couldn't be there for my pet in that situation :( You did the best you could, even though it was hard :hugs: I'm glad Jumbo had a loving friend there at the end

If she's struggling with it, maybe tell her to call the vet personally and have them explain the situation so she has all the information.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm sure your friend will want to talk to the vet, and once she realizes it had to be done, she will understand.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm sorry this happened, you did what was best and I hope your friend is o.k. with it.

This is why, though, I avoid helping people with palliative care. If the owner must go out of town, best to leave the dog with the vet, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Was there no way to get in touch with your friend to let her know your decision before putting her dog to sleep? Just wondering. Im sure she will understand. being an owner of a dog, I would have appreciated a call from my friend before she made the decision, out of respect. Even if she had to wait an extra 30 mins. If you tried and couldnt reach her, it is understandable that you had to make a decision and you did your best. Thats all you can do.
If you had already told her he may be put to sleep, and she told you to decide that could be why she hung up so fast, it had nothing to do with being mad at you , it was just the realization her dog was gone and she probably was too upset to talk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts